User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #46
grego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
hi,

i've been lurking around this forum for a while, but only registered as a member yesterday.
i found this thread and thought i would share a few pics of my 1981 XR500R.
i rebuilt it to my taste while still trying to keep it as original as possible, and added a few bits to modernise it.

project specs:
90mm 10.5:1 comp ratio wiseco piston
roller bearing camshaft conversion
ported head
balancer assembly removed
rebuilt crank shaft, new conrod
new main bearings
new seals and gaskets all round
entire motor ceramic coated (except side covers)
XR400 oil cooler, with feed redirected to top of rocker cover (bypasses the original feed to the head)
shortened leo vince titanium exhaust

front disc brake conversion, using original XR forks (CR125 wheel, KX250 caliper with custom mounting plate)
18 inch rear wheel (new stainless spoke set), original XR hub
12V lighting conversion
all new wiring
trail tech vapor computer
all bolts replaced with stainless (where possible, rest were zinc plated)
frame, swingarm, fork tubes, clamps, etc powder coated
new front and rear fenders, rest of plastics restored
UFO explorer head light
fatbars and risers, home mode short brake/clutch levers

she put out 36.88hp and 43.34Nm on the dyno... done a few more mods since then though.

you can view the entire build here if you like... http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=35075.0
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #47
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Welcome to the form buddy! And may i say that is a great looking xr. I cant believe thats a '81. After the rebuild hows it running? also Where did you get the Vapor from? I have been looking for a cheap one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
hi,

i've been lurking around this forum for a while, but only registered as a member yesterday.
i rebuilt it to my taste while still trying to keep it as original as possible, and added a few bits to modernise it.

project specs:
ported head
new main bearings
XR400 oil cooler, with feed redirected to top of rocker cover (bypasses the original feed to the head)

front disc brake conversion, using original XR forks (CR125 wheel, KX250 caliper with custom mounting plate)
12V lighting conversion
all new wiring
UFO explorer head light

she put out 36.88hp and 43.34Nm on the dyno... done a few more mods since then though.

you can view the entire build here if you like... http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=35075.0
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #48
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

looks like a 81-82 but he uses it cute well. Bladel Stuntin' - G Fresh drift practice from Bladel Stuntin on Vimeo.
">Bladel Stuntin' - G Fresh drift practice from Bladel Stuntin on Vimeo.
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #49
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime View Post
Keep them coming guys !!! I got a 1983 XR500 this month. Bike has been sitting for a looong time. Engine was not turning. After taking the top end apart found the reason. Both ex valves are bend. I suspect camshaft chain skip a tooth or something a lot of slack in the chain plus one of the rails was broken in half. Bike is all original with minimal mechanical wear. The piston has four valve grooves bigger for the ex much smaller for the in . It looks like the original piston ???
Hows your rebuild going? Any luck finding a machine shop?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #50
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
hi,

project specs:
ported head
new main bearings

12V lighting conversion
all new wiring
UFO explorer head light

I'ed love to know more on how you plugged the oil ports to divert the oil to the cooler. I have a 82 XL500r that I want to add a cooler to and I was going to do all the work on the right crank case cover to bring the oil out and back in.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #51
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

someone with a 83-84 xr500 i need some wiring help. Im completely redoing it from scratch. (Previous owner must have been drunk while doing the wiring) Im just doing the wires for the kill button and headlight.

I have......
3 wires coming from the ball-o-wires under the frame. black white stripe, white, and green.
2 from the kill button. black white stripe, and green.
2 from the headlight. white insulated (From bulb) and brown/black from the outer metal ring.

the wire from the bulb had 2 connectors on the end a black white stripe and white.

how should i do the wiring?
black white to black white, green to green, white to white, and black to green?

Sorry i cant really explain it much better.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #52
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
someone with a 83-84 xr500 i need some wiring help. Im completely redoing it from scratch. (Previous owner must have been drunk while doing the wiring) Im just doing the wires for the kill button and headlight.

I have......
3 wires coming from the ball-o-wires under the frame. black white stripe, white, and green.
2 from the kill button. black white stripe, and green.
2 from the headlight. white insulated (From bulb) and brown/black from the outer metal ring.

the wire from the bulb had 2 connectors on the end a black white stripe and white.

how should i do the wiring?
black white to black white, green to green, white to white, and black to green?

Sorry i cant really explain it much better.
Sounds like you have it down. Green is ground, black with white stripe is ignition kill and white is headlight power.

Hopefully GM will be along soon to confirm or deny what I've just told ya. But I think I'm right.

*EDIT* I see this was already answered in your other XR500R Help thread.

brucifer screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 01:20 PM
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #53
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
here ya go...

http://zorch.maow.myip.org/bikes/wir..._1983_1984.jpg

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #54
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 712
Yep, just like in that diagram.

If your headlight connection wire has an extra unused connection, then you can power a Vapor by hooking it up as a second headlight. The Vapor will run on DC or AC power.

I used a kit to rebuild some of my bullet connectors, find it here:
http://www.vintageconnections.com/

I bought kit CK-1 with the crimping tool. Only problem I had is that the crimping tool will occasionally clamp the smaller wire sizes too tight, and the connector will break before it can be removed from the tool. I ended up using a small punch to tap out the stuck crimped connector from the tool to avoid this breakage.

Using this kit I made my Vapor connections into the existing harness look factory.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #55
2muchtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I went with a wiseco .20 over. Cylinder should be coming back from LA SLEEVE any day. New valves are in , Reed valve is gone. Things are moving along.....thanks
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Sounds like you have it down. Green is ground, black with white stripe is ignition kill and white is headlight power.

Hopefully GM will be along soon to confirm or deny what I've just told ya. But I think I'm right.

*EDIT* I see this was already answered in your other XR500R Help thread.
Thanks! I've been needing to freshen up my electrics so this will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Thanks that makes ALOT more sense then the black and white in my manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Yep, just like in that diagram.

If your headlight connection wire has an extra unused connection, then you can power a Vapor by hooking it up as a second headlight. The Vapor will run on DC or AC power.

I used a kit to rebuild some of my bullet connectors, find it here:
http://www.vintageconnections.com/

I bought kit CK-1 with the crimping tool. Only problem I had is that the crimping tool will occasionally clamp the smaller wire sizes too tight, and the connector will break before it can be removed from the tool. I ended up using a small punch to tap out the stuck crimped connector from the tool to avoid this breakage.

Using this kit I made my Vapor connections into the existing harness look factory.
Ok cool. So i will just pack up the extra connection until i can get a vapor. I have a old crimper thats been working quite well. Thanks for the help everyone.

Ghost mutant i noticed you had a wire headlight cover on your '84. Did you make that yourself? In my free time i have been doing the wiring, removing all the plastic decals that were in bad shape and cleaning the bike up. After im done with the light screen im planning on painting it. Ill get pictures of the progress once im done for the night.

Once again thanks for the help everyone. When im done this will be a nice bike.

Edit: Im looking at around $350 in engine parts for the bike and about $150 to get it machined. It looks like this will be my winter project. Alot better than my TY350 last year

Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #57
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

Ghost mutant i noticed you had a wire headlight cover on your '84. Did you make that yourself? In my free time i have been doing the wiring, removing all the plastic decals that were in bad shape and cleaning the bike up. After im done with the light screen im planning on painting it. Ill get pictures of the progress once im done for the night.
The rock guard is from BajaDesigns. I have their headlight frame and glass which I got used off of ebay to replace the original Acerbis BajaDesigns headlight frame (with badly broken glass). These headlights are have larger glass than the original Honda headlight, and I'm not sure the rock guard would fit as well on the stock XR500R headlight frame.

I couldn't find a replacement glass bulb housing for the old Acerbis, its a slightly different style. But it had the correct color of plastic to match the XR500. I'm still looking for replacement glass so I can put it back on the bike.

The newer style BajaDesigns headlight is the XR650L brighter red color. I painted this by first using krylon fusion white plastic paint as a primer.

After that I added the rock guard:
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #58
2muchtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Cylinder came back from LA sleeve. They did a great job boring to next size up (.20) Just got done putting everything back together. Now I have to order more parts...... Things are moving along ...
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #59
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Thumb

...got some new tank decals and swingarm sticker....
Attached Images

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #60
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking for offers

Hey im just putting this out to see what offers I get. Im not being forced to sell this so only reasonable offers considered.

It is a 1984 Honda XR500R.
Needs cam chain and piston rings. I was gonna bore it out to a 540cc with a XR's only high compression piston and make this my trail bike for riding with my family. This bike is an amazing breed of dirt bike. The 83-84 XR500's revolutionized Honda’s big bore dual sports.

Let me tell you a little about this bike.
I got this bike over summer for $650. After buying it she blew up (maybe 3 hours of ride time for me). I did everything with this bike that I could. It was not a virgin though. Previous owner got into the engine before me.
When rebuilding it i had to redo the threads for 2 of the bolts holding the cylinder to the case. Re-tap the spark plug threads. I had my machinist redo the surfaces. I gave it new valves (Both exhaust and intake), valve guides, valve seals, gaskets, air filter, clutch lever, jets in both carbs and a plug. But being short on money i made the mistake of not giving it new rings.
After out trip up to leadville boom days she started running bad. It would only start if bump started and when it ran it smoked a lot. These xr500's have a notorious problem for stretched cam chains. (No matter how tight you got it it would get loose very quickly) So it needs a cam chain and rings.

In my free time over the last week i have redone the wiring that the PO f***ed up and cleaned up the plastics. I Took the decals off of the headlight plate and the right number plate because they were scratched up and pealing off.

The bike comes with a Cobra exhaust and the original exhaust. Original fender bag, manual and off course everything in the pictures. The bike does come with a tank and the original seat but they were taken off during the picture. If you would like to see my progress is the firse rebuild of this bike please refer to this thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=XR500

Im looking for around $550 for it but I can negotiate. But like I said i dont need to sell this. Ihave the money to rebuild it but id rather buy A project klr and fix that up. Here are some pictures of the bike...

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/...666/?start=all

PM me or email me at TBDechant@gmail.com if interested.

Edit: If you need it I can point you towards the piston kit and cam chain.