Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #61
Mudsick Steve
n00b

Oddometer: 1
$550!!!! You couldn't buy a set of new plastics for that money over here!!! First post and a Noob, but my rep and beergut goes before me...if I price collection and shipping to the UK, would you be interested?...Cheers, Steve C

I'll post up my projects soon....
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #62
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Welcome to the form buddy. Hope you like it.

Yeah I have looked for a extra set of plastics for this (For cheap) and over here they run around $500 for everything separately.

I might be interested. I have 1 other deal set up with a lifetime friend as a trade. He just got a project Kaw KLX650 that he MIGHT trade. I have never seen the bike before other than pictures so this next week im going to check it out. If the deal falls trough ill let you know.
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #63
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Hi guys!
Here are links to new OEM parts honda vintage 500 xp:
plastic -
http://www.flashredbikes.com/apps/we.../594982?page=1
part -
http://www.myoldhonda.com/index.php?...wCat&Submit=Go
but the prices are huge!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #64
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats pretty pricey! $500 for the original exhaust?

I found this this morning. Looks a little over priced but its in amazing condition.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2663245894.html
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #65
Ivanych
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Cheapest black diamond valves for the big bore RFVC (all the same except for the GB500) can be bought from Lukes Racing, but I had to wait for awhile for the valves to be restocked. If they don't have them in stock for immediate shipment and you need them now, look elsewhere and pay more.
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=KWVHBD
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=KWVHBD
Hello, Mr.Ghost_Mutant!

How long ago did you have to deal with them?
I sent several letters asking, but I have not received an answer!

Who can clarify the realties, they work (exist)?
Can they send the parts to Russia?
Thanks for your help!

I have another question yet.
Have Cylinder head bolts a washers?

I do not see washers in parts list fiche, but I can see them in the manual.
My washers does not look as OEM parts. (homemade).
I want to replace them.
Can I use the washers from xr 600, xl600 (8mm)?

Ivanych screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 03:41 AM
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #66
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Hello, Mr.Ghost_Mutant!

How long ago did you have to deal with them?
I sent several letters asking, but I have not received an answer!

Who can clarify the realties, they work (exist)?
Can they send the parts to Russia?
Thanks for your help!

I have another question yet.
Have Cylinder head bolts a washers?

I do not see washers in parts list fiche, but I can see them in the manual.
My washers does not look as OEM parts. (homemade).
I want to replace them.
Can I use the washers from xr 600, xl600 (8mm)?
Ivanych, I did some checking on bikebandit.com and it looks like the head bolts themselves stayed the same from the '83 XR500 and XL600 to the '87 XR600 and XL600. For whatever reason they don't show washers in their parts diagram either for the '83-'84 XR500 except for one for the front bolt between the exhaust ports.
Since the bolts stayed the same, I would ASSUME the washers would work for your bike. That's only an assumption now.
Hopefully GM will chime in and let us know for sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #67
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
After waiting for 3-4 weeks I canceled my order for a two pairs of valves that were out of stock at Lukes. I can't remember which were out of stock, intake valves or exhaust valves. I just told Lukes to send what they had and then I paid more for the other valves from a supplier in Arizona. Those were off of ebay.

They at least answered my emails, but I'm in the same country

I was in a hurry at the time to get the bikes running so I could ride with an out of town friend. Never happened

There should be washers for the head bolts. The one on the outside between the exhaust ports is a different part number probably due to some kind of plating/treatment since its exposed.

I took a look at cheapcycleparts.com and it seems the 1985 XR600 has the right part numbers. There is a part number change for these washers between 85-86, but I don't know why?????? Any of those 8mm washers should work I would think, but I haven't examined any heads other than the XR500 versions

Since I did find mistakes in the factory manual, I'm not surprised to see problems with the parts fiche online.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #68
Ivanych
Ivanych

Quote:
After waiting for 3-4 weeks I canceled my order for a two pairs of valves that were out of stock at Lukes. I can't remember which were out of stock, intake valves or exhaust valves. I just told Lukes to send what they had and then I paid more for the other valves from a supplier in Arizona. Those were off of ebay.

They at least answered my emails, but I'm in the same country

I was in a hurry at the time to get the bikes running so I could ride with an out of town friend. Never happened

There should be washers for the head bolts. The one on the outside between the exhaust ports is a different part number probably due to some kind of plating/treatment since its exposed.

I took a look at cheapcycleparts.com and it seems the 1985 XR600 has the right part numbers. There is a part number change for these washers between 85-86, but I don't know why?????? Any of those 8mm washers should work I would think, but I haven't examined any heads other than the XR500 versions

Since I did find mistakes in the factory manual, I'm not surprised to see problems with the parts fiche online.
My emails went unanswered.
I will look for another supplier of valves.

My washers look bad, I'll try to put the washers xl xr 600.
I have one question still:
Can I use a gasket crankcase xr 600 85-87? (no gasket xr 500r)
have who a scan gasket hr500, what thickness, what kind of stuff?
Sorry got 3 questions.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #69
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

I do not know what differences there are between the XR500 and XR600 crankcase gaskets. But I would like to know

You can still buy a new Athena gasket kit which will have a crankcase gasket in the set. I didn't split my cases, so I haven't used my Athena crankcase gasket yet.

I like the Athena valve cover gasket and head gasket, but I didn't think the stator cover or the clutch cover gaskets fit well.

You can always do an internet search using just the XR500 gasket part number. Someone may have old stock sitting on the shelf. This is how I found a Honda oversized piston when doing my rebuilds.

There is a Japan made set of stainless steel valves for cheap that come up on ebay sometimes (tkrj brand). Let me take a quick look...................................no, none listed at the moment. I see some KW valves, but they are more expensive.

Ghost_Mutant screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 06:18 PM Reason: typo
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #70
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Has anyone in this thread ordered parts from xr'sonly.com? How is there service? Shipping time? Quality?
Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #71
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

I ordered my two new timing chains from XRsonly. That was the only place at the time to get these chains new. I did ask here on ADV for other options, and none came up.

My order went smooth, no problems. But yes, other folks have complained about the service from them. But I don't have anything bad to say about XRsonly.

Since I've ordered those chains, I've seen ebay listings for new timing chains from another vendor. Don't know anything about them other than their existence. It is probably wise to call any vendor first to be sure what you want is in stock before placing the order.

Getting the valves from Lukes was a bigger problem for me and the low point of my engine rebuilds.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #72
Ivanych
Ivanych

Quote:

Getting the valves from Lukes was a bigger problem for me and the low point of my engine rebuilds.
Lucas replied to my letters.
They are ready to send the valve after placing the order.
I decided to try (risk) to order.
I'm lucky, I think (hope).

II received a parcel from myoldhonda.com!!
Here is my new ARM B, ROCKER
Attached Images

Ivanych screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 11:09 AM
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #73
Ivanych
Ivanych

Hi guys!
I got the valve from Lukes (I'm lucky)
Fast shipping, good job. Thank you Luke (www.lukesracing.com/).
Thanks to Ghost_Mutant for your information on the valves.
A bunch of new OEM parts is growing!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Attached Images

Ivanych screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 03:51 AM
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #74
grego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
Welcome to the form buddy! And may i say that is a great looking xr. I cant believe thats a '81. After the rebuild hows it running? also Where did you get the Vapor from? I have been looking for a cheap one.
i had originally built the motor up with a 89.5mm piston. the guys who did the crank rebuild welded the oil plate back onto the crank web... after about 2000km the welds cracked and the plate broke causing a loss of oil pressure to the big end/piston and the motor seized!
i had it rebored and got a new 90mm piston. got a 2nd hand crank and had that rebuilt, with the oil plate correctly press fitted into place... all good since then!

i got the vapor new through a mate who sells them. i used the copper washer type temperature sensor on one of the cylinder head studs to read cylinder head temp.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #75
grego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I'ed love to know more on how you plugged the oil ports to divert the oil to the cooler. I have a 82 XL500r that I want to add a cooler to and I was going to do all the work on the right crank case cover to bring the oil out and back in.
if you check inside the right side cover, the oil gets circulated as follows...

the oil feed from the pump enters right casing oil gallery at 1.
2 is the oil feed for the big end & piston... oil enters the crank shaft via a centre bore, gets diverted into the cavity between the oil plate and right crank web, via a cross drilling in the web. from there it is forced through a hole in the crank pin (by centrifugal force) to lubricate the big end bearing.
number 3 is the oil feed for the cylinder head and 4 the feed for the balancer shaft.

i removed my balancer assembly so i plugged the balancer oil feed in the right casing with some solder (more oil to the rest of the motor).
i then drilled into the casing at 5, before the head and balancer oil feeds and tapped the hole to M8 (fine thread).

after 3 the oil feed usually goes into the top crank case, then through a restrictor, up through the barrel and head via one of the cylinder head stud holes and into the camshaft pocket. the camshaft and rockers rely on splash lubrication.
i had a special banjo bolt made up for the right side casing.

the bolt was drilled and tapped axially to accept a set screw. the set screw has a 2mm centre hole drilled in it to compensate for the original restrictor (to ensure correct oil pressure to other engine parts).
the banjo bolt is also long enough that it blocks the original oil flow through to 3.

for the feed from the cooler to the rocker cover i had a piece of alu round bar welded to the top of the rocker cover.
another M8 hole was then drilled and tapped above the camshaft so that it is almost directly above the original oil feed. this one just uses a standard 8mm banjo bolt.

finally i got some 10mm ID stainless steel braided teflon hoses made with 8mm banjo fittings at the motor ends and flared fittings to match the XR400R oil cooler at the other end.

you could reroute the oil flow from the cooler back to the right casing, but i decided i'd try it this way and its worked out pretty well.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote