User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #76
2muchtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hello group !

Bike is coming along . Engine got a new piston, timing chain a bunch of new gaskets .... Front brake rebuild is next. I can't tell if the pistons are plastic or metal. Any feedback ?
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #77
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
if you check inside the right side cover, the oil gets circulated as follows...

the oil feed from the pump enters right casing oil gallery at 1.
2 is the oil feed for the big end & piston... oil enters the crank shaft via a centre bore, gets diverted into the cavity between the oil plate and right crank web, via a cross drilling in the web. from there it is forced through a hole in the crank pin (by centrifugal force) to lubricate the big end bearing.
number 3 is the oil feed for the cylinder head and 4 the feed for the balancer shaft.

i removed my balancer assembly so i plugged the balancer oil feed in the right casing with some solder (more oil to the rest of the motor).
i then drilled into the casing at 5, before the head and balancer oil feeds and tapped the hole to M8 (fine thread).

after 3 the oil feed usually goes into the top crank case, then through a restrictor, up through the barrel and head via one of the cylinder head stud holes and into the camshaft pocket. the camshaft and rockers rely on splash lubrication.
i had a special banjo bolt made up for the right side casing.

the bolt was drilled and tapped axially to accept a set screw. the set screw has a 2mm centre hole drilled in it to compensate for the original restrictor (to ensure correct oil pressure to other engine parts).
the banjo bolt is also long enough that it blocks the original oil flow through to 3.

for the feed from the cooler to the rocker cover i had a piece of alu round bar welded to the top of the rocker cover.
another M8 hole was then drilled and tapped above the camshaft so that it is almost directly above the original oil feed. this one just uses a standard 8mm banjo bolt.

finally i got some 10mm ID stainless steel braided teflon hoses made with 8mm banjo fittings at the motor ends and flared fittings to match the XR400R oil cooler at the other end.

you could reroute the oil flow from the cooler back to the right casing, but i decided i'd try it this way and its worked out pretty well.

I see, but mines a XL500R so losing the balancer isn't something I can do. I will have to study into this deeper.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #78
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Question change kickstarter shaft/spindle

...to change my broken kickstartershaft/spindle i do have to dissamble the whole motor !???

-cause the kickstartershaft is one of the last things to come out!?

like here- http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=35075.340

but

some guys say that i can open the motor maybe from downside???? but the just heard and never had done!?

somebody ever did this ???? pics??

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #79
grego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I see, but mines a XL500R so losing the balancer isn't something I can do. I will have to study into this deeper.
your XL500R motor should be pretty much identical to the XR motor.
if you want to keep the balancer assembly you could try tap off after the balancer, by drilling into the front of the right case, where the balancer oil gallery ends.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #80
grego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by izom View Post
...to change my broken kickstartershaft/spindle i do have to dissamble the whole motor !???

-cause the kickstartershaft is one of the last things to come out!?

like here- http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=35075.340

but

some guys say that i can open the motor maybe from downside???? but the just heard and never had done!?

somebody ever did this ???? pics??

you can split the crank case of the XR500 motor with the top end intact.
just turn the motor upside down, loosen the bolts and lift the lower half of the crankcase off, leaving the crank and gearbox bits in the top half.
reassembly could be tricky as the shift forks need to be located as you lower the crankcase back into place.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #81
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
your XL500R motor should be pretty much identical to the XR motor.
if you want to keep the balancer assembly you could try tap off after the balancer, by drilling into the front of the right case, where the balancer oil gallery ends.
This is true. Ill have to look into that.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #82
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Thumb

Quote:
just turn the motor upside down, loosen the bolts and lift the lower half of the crankcase off, leaving the crank and gearbox bits in the top half.
reassembly could be tricky as the shift forks need to be located as you lower the crankcase back into place
thanx- ill give it a try! - even im a bit nervous about it....

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #83
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Well today my long lasting xr500 rebuild is moving again. Today i did break work. Ran it with some new oil. (Its still smoking so im still going to rebuild it) cleaned the swing arm graphics and a few other things. Today she got new grips, new MSR hand guards (Bark busters) and new quick adjust levers. Also ordered a new headlight bulb. i cannot believe the cheapest bulb i could find was $25.79. More ubdates soon to come
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #84
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Hi guys!
I want to discuss the stator for high power.
I see in the sale of many variants of stators:
- Ricky stator xl600 (http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/h...bly-p-105.html)
- Electrosport stator (http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bik...x100w-50w.html)
- http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1981-1984-Honda-XR500R-XR-500R-Stator
Different number of coils, of different power (or error in the description?) different cost!
What to choose?
What is the best?
The stator can be replaced?(suitable xl600r, xr600r 85-90)
I see stator for sale on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR350R...item3a6edb4ba7 ) by cheapest rate.
This is a good proposal?
What is your opinion?
Thank you all!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #85
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Hi guys!
I want to discuss the stator for high power.
I see in the sale of many variants of stators:
- Ricky stator xl600 (http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/h...bly-p-105.html)
- Electrosport stator (http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bik...x100w-50w.html)
- http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1981-1984-Honda-XR500R-XR-500R-Stator
Different number of coils, of different power (or error in the description?) different cost!
What to choose?
What is the best?
The stator can be replaced?(suitable xl600r, xr600r 85-90)
I see stator for sale on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR350R...item3a6edb4ba7 ) by cheapest rate.
This is a good proposal?
What is your opinion?
Thank you all!
Looking at the photo you posted in your build thread I couldn't tell how your wiring was connected.

I think your lighted XR500 is wired like our XL600. Is that true?

The USA 84 XR500 came from Honda with off road lights only (headlight & tail light running on AC regulator). All of our XRs over here are wired like that and are not street legal. I think you have a different setup.

My 84 XR5 has an old conversion kit from baja designs that converts the AC to regulated DC 12V, and adds the other turn lights, high beam, battery, and horn.

I'm running on the stock stator as designed in the old conversion kit, but I did ask the ricky stator guys about upgrading. They told me that their 85 XR600 200W stator will work if I swap out the grommet to reuse the one that came with the XR500. It seems there is a slight difference with the oil sealing rubber grommet between the 84 XR5 and the 85 XR6. I suppose I could get a 85 or newer XR6 stator cover and not have to deal with changing the grommet to use the ricky stator.

Not sure which stator upgrade you want due to the grommet and possible wiring differences with your XR500.

See post further ahead in the thread. The MG2 stator cover probably won't seal to the 83/4 XR500 case.

Ghost_Mutant screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 09:06 PM Reason: updated info
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #86
Ivanych
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Looking at the photo you posted in your build thread I couldn't tell how your wiring was connected.

I think your lighted XR500 is wired like our XL600. Is that true?

The USA 84 XR500 came from Honda with off road lights only (headlight & tail light running on AC regulator). All of our XRs over here are wired like that and are not street legal. I think you have a different setup.

My 84 XR5 has an old conversion kit from baja designs that converts the AC to regulated DC 12V, and adds the other turn lights, high beam, battery, and horn.

I'm running on the stock stator as designed in the old conversion kit, but I did ask the ricky stator guys about upgrading. They told me that their 85 XR600 200W stator will work if I swap out the grommet to reuse the one that came with the XR500. It seems there is a slight difference with the oil sealing rubber grommet between the 84 XR5 and the 85 XR6. I suppose I could get a 85 or newer XR6 stator cover and not have to deal with changing the grommet to use the ricky stator.

Not sure which stator upgrade you want due to the grommet and possible wiring differences with your XR500.
Standard o-ring of the stator is not used to seal in the cover on my bike. Cable (wire) packing everything up in the cover of the sealant. My stator has 3 outputs: high power - 6 coils, low power - 4 coil and CDI output (in the amount of 150 watts). 6 coils of high power short-circuited (corrupted). Repair is possible, but road. I want a new stator high power (200 watts). Old stator will be repaired and sent to the spare parts.
I like the products and the reputation of Ricky stator. But if the quality of the goods at the height of (good) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR350R...item3a6edb4ba7), I choose the goods of lesser value. What is Your opinion about this product (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR350R-XR500R-1983-1985-HIGH-OUTPUT-STATOR-/250967968679?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6edb4ba7)?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #87
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

The only stator I've seen is my stock Honda XR500, which looks like this:

The Ricky Stator guy told me I would have to modify/replace their XR600 stator grommet to fit my left side stator cover. I'd be suspicious of any stator listing on eBay that says it will fit all of those different bikes. So I would recommend you ask first before buying to find out if it truly fits your XR500.

Also, it occurs to me that my XR5 stator cover could be different from your XR5 stator cover. Perhaps you have a XL600 stator cover? They have slightly different part numbers (one is MG3, the other is MG2).

I just checked at cheapcycleparts.com, The 84 XL600 and the 85 XR600 have the same stator cover part number with the MG2. My USA 84 XR500 has the MG3.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #88
Ivanych
Ivanych

Hi Ghost_Mutant !
Left cover stator my motor - there are standard OEM XR500r (MG3).
I think the difference stators in the seal of the cable only. (if the rotors of the same).
Rotor my bike:
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #89
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Hi Ghost_Mutant !
Left cover stator my motor - there are standard OEM XR500r (MG3).
I think the difference stators in the seal of the cable only. (if the rotors of the same).
Rotor my bike:
The flywheel/rotor has different part numbers between the 84 XR5, the 84 XL6, and the 85 XR6.

The Ricky Stator guy says that the 85 XR6 200 watt stator will fit the USA 84 XR5 if you swap the grommet. I was considering trying to buy a used XL6/XR6 stator cover so that I wouldn't have to swap the grommet on my 84 XR5 when I'm ready to get the Ricky Stator upgrade.

However, your bike is equipped with a stator that looks like it is the same as the XL6.

So I was asking if you in fact had the XL6 stator in your bike from Honda since you have the European XR5. If true, then that would mean your stator cover is the same as the XL6 (MG2).

The stators you are looking at on eBay may work without grommet modification if you have the MG2 stator cover.

For my bike, I'm almost certain that I'll have to deal with the grommet if I choose to keep my 84 stator cover.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #90
Ivanych
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
The flywheel/rotor has different part numbers between the 84 XR5, the 84 XL6, and the 85 XR6.

The Ricky Stator guy says that the 85 XR6 200 watt stator will fit the USA 84 XR5 if you swap the grommet. I was considering trying to buy a used XL6/XR6 stator cover so that I wouldn't have to swap the grommet on my 84 XR5 when I'm ready to get the Ricky Stator upgrade.

However, your bike is equipped with a stator that looks like it is the same as the XL6.

So I was asking if you in fact had the XL6 stator in your bike from Honda since you have the European XR5. If true, then that would mean your stator cover is the same as the XL6 (MG2).

The stators you are looking at on eBay may work without grommet modification if you have the MG2 stator cover.

For my bike, I'm almost certain that I'll have to deal with the grommet if I choose to keep my 84 stator cover.

Sorry I don't understand. What is it - swap the grommet?
This is my left cover of the stator:
Attached Images

Ivanych screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 12:19 PM