Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
California Here I Come Oregon Coast Redwoods Back Again Dare I?

The seed for this trip was planted around a warm fire and nourished with a round of beverages just over a year ago while on a tour of the North Cascades loop in Washington. The idea of escaping dreary Northwest weather and cruising in the warmth of Cali sounded good on that chilly night. It still does.

Just over a month ago the stage was set for four of us to head out on Saturday, Aug 6th, three from Washington, one from Portland, to meet on the Oregon Coast. Since then one of the principles has had to cancel. His presence will be missed as he was, in large part, the catalyst for the journey, and of the group. I know I will miss his leadership and campfire conversation. Not to mention his G & T’s.

It also appears the riding party may lose another member before we leave. Are the rats fleeing the ship because it’s sinking? Is that a bad omen? Do I have a body odor problem? It seems there may still be one rider willing to leap into the precipice with me. Are we headed into the abyss?

Screw it.
I’m going – come hell or high water.
I’ll fly solo if need be – no problem.
I’ve got 9 days to cover whatever territory I want.

I want to see 101 from Washington down to Ukiah.
Then amble North through Cali National Forest Land.
Crater Lake and Lassen Volcanic National Park are also on the list.

Any suggestions on sights to see along the way?

Now back to the packing list and preparations.
More to come...

Hominid screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 12:08 AM
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
zachbrowning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I would HIGHLY recommend riding the section of CA Highway 1 from where it leaves 101 at Leggett to where it hits the coast. If you really want to ride 101 all the way to Ukiah, you could do this section of 1 as an out-and-back. It is one of the best sections of motorcycle road I've ever been on; tight twisties for about 30 miles with clean asphalt and very little traffic. I was on an R6, and it was perfect, but that road would be great on any bike.
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbrowning View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend riding the section of CA Highway 1 from where it leaves 101 at Leggett to where it hits the coast. If you really want to ride 101 all the way to Ukiah, you could do this section of 1 as an out-and-back. It is one of the best sections of motorcycle road I've ever been on; tight twisties for about 30 miles with clean asphalt and very little traffic. I was on an R6, and it was perfect, but that road would be great on any bike.
Thanks for the tip Zach. That route is on my radar. I was thinking of hitting Humboldt just North of Leggett. After that Highway 1 looks interesting to head further South from there. It looks like there could be some good coastal scenery and some good camping opportunities along 1 between Leggett and SF?

My weapon of choice is a 2008 wee-strom.
My companion, if he makes it that far, will be on an F650GS twin.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Cry

Geez, how many aliases you got on here?

Have a good time on the ride. Some really easy dirt in the redwoods you could ride a goldwing on so make sure to pick up the brochure from the ranger station. Bald mountain to weitchpec would be fun if it isn't submerged in fresh, loose gravel like last year. Of the three dirt roads, you'll find this one the most challenging for you and Kent. The other two roads, on rides through the redwoods. The other is on the coast noth of Orick. If you see a road labeled as not for rv's, then that is a road to take.

If I was still going, I'd run them easily on the sv. Eric would be fine even on his shadow, but not on bald mountain.

Good luck, we'll be in Vegas the weekend you return.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
Geez, how many aliases you got on here?
No aliases - I just asked for a name change.
Gadget Boy was kind enough to grant my request.

This one is easier to type - Yeah, I'm getting real lazy in my old age.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominid View Post
No aliases - I just asked for a name change.
Gadget Boy was kind enough to grant my request.

This one is easier to type - Yeah, I'm getting real lazy in my old age.
Might I suggest "asdf" then?

Enough chatter already, get on the road. Ride report is for commentary and pics, not banter between buddies.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Stig O'Tracy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm in

I had the pleasure of driving these roads over 2 days from SF to Portland in May (in a Hertz Mustang) and vowed to return on two wheels next time. The roads and country were spectacular - so different from the riding around Sydney Australia.

I've convinced a mate we've got to do it - so we're planning for June 2013 to take a month. Fly to LA, rent a couple of GS's or similar and head north: NorCal, OR, WA etc.

We'll read this ride report with keen interest!
Stig O'Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
R55ert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just Got Back From the Coast Myself

Just got back from a two day trip , Aug 1 & 2,up from the Bay Area to Seattle in a car. I wish I would have scheduled more time. Great dirve, thought about doing it on two wheels during the whole ride. Take time to take in the sights the Oregon coast is great. Tillamook Cheese factory is supposed to have great ice cream, Medecino hotel has a great, can't remember the name, berry crisp. we were running late so didn't get to stop. One from Leggett to Fort Brag super twisty, I got my moneys worth out of the rental on this segment. Take time to enjoy. Please provide ride report, I want to do this sometime in the future, probably will be on a thumper.

Bob
R55ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
FezDaForeigner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Funny I just got into Washington from Cali. I totally bypassed the Oregon coast though as I had had 3 days of Cali coast coming up. Heading to Blaine WA then to Yellowstone. I might have passed you on the way up. Saw tons of wee and vstroms.
FezDaForeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243win View Post
might i suggest "asdf" then?

Enough chatter already, get on the road. Ride report is for commentary and pics, not banter between buddies.
;lkj:

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Lost Coast/unknown Coast,one and the same out of Fortuna and through Petrolia and Honeydew then follow to the Ave of the Giants,really hard to beat. Hiway 36 from Fortuna going inland,classic not to be missed.
Mountain view Road, about 40 miles south of Fort Bragg,bitchin ass curvy up and down road that heads into Boonville and 101,great brewery in Boonville for lunch. Skaggs Springs road inland off 1 to a right on Tin Barn road and then into Guerneville,supermoto tight curvy road,great fun! There are so many good roads off the coast hiway its amazing.
Have a great ride!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ready to Roll

Thanks for the suggestions!

Finally finished packing and jamming everything onto the wee.
It was a tight fit, but I've got everything I wanted to bring.

Food, camping gear, tools, camera gear, all the essentials.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but whatever it is I can live without it or find it on the road.

I'm not even out of the garage and I'm hurting like the old man I am.
Back and neck are pretty fiery right now and I notice that my knee looks kinda like a basketball
Heavy doses of Aleve over the next day or two should quiet that down.

The riding party numbers 3 now.
Props to the other 2 guys for stepping up to the plate.
We barely know each other, but are about to get a lot more familiar over the next week, or so.
It should be an interesting trip - I'm primed to enjoy it.

Here's the cast of characters...

Me - on my bright yellow 2008 wee-Strom
eupson - on a cool white 750 Shadow
KB - on a new F650GS twin

Time to grab about 7 hours of sleep then I'm outta here.
I'll be back in a about a week with pictures, stories, maps, and a day by day accounting of the tour.

Hominid screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 05:05 PM Reason: add emoticons
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
That is a great area to go ride in! I did a similar trip last year but only went as far south as Eureka before I headed east on 299 to go hit Lassen. Depending on how you are heading back north towards Crater Lake, the Lava Beds national monument is a very neat area to check out if you are in the area. I came from Tahoe (after Lassen) and then went through on my way to Klamath Falls before going to CLNP. Not having more time to go explor the lava beds is one of the few regrets I have from that trip.
2009 Triumph Sprint ST
Save 20% on SmugMug.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
what are you looking to see? anything touristy you want to do?
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
what are you looking to see? anything touristy you want to do?
Hominid is already on the road, he'll meet the others at Tillamook on Sunday.

The original idea was down to Eureka, out 299 and up 44 to Lassen and as many loops around roads north of Redding and to the west as possible. It will be interesting to see where they go. I was down there on a DR650, solo last year and it was my idea to return. If we didn't do that we were going to Canada and do Banff and that area instead, guess we'll save that for next year.

Hominid has a tendency to stop and smell the roses so I'm sure they will take in some Touristy stuff in the Redwoods.

I just got back from a 4000 mile, 2 week solo trip that was cut short due to medical issues with family at home or I'd be on the road with them. Well, with them if I didn't just keep riding on the previous trip,... It was going pretty well. If I was still out, by now I'd be heading up from near Baja I suspect to meet them,...

10 State Trip 2010