User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
evileye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Track Day

Going to do my first track day on my 09 R1200gs and was wondering....can i unplug headlamps and tail lamps....or is that going to cause all kinds of problems. What else will i need to do...
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
Going to do my first track day on my 09 R1200gs and was wondering....can i unplug headlamps and tail lamps....or is that going to cause all kinds of problems. What else will i need to do...
Why would you want to unplug them? Every track day I've ever been to has required that bikes with lights tape them up. The #1 reason is so that in the event that you throw your bike down there won't be pieces of head light and tail light littering the track. The #2 reason is so that you lights won't cause a distraction to the other riders.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
evileye OP
Adventurer

The main reason I would want to unplug is my head lamp is a 55w HID....it gets real hot.....
Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Roads and Trails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I've done numerous track days on 1200GS's
Tape all the lights, remove the mirrors and lower the w/shield.
If you have ESA set it in the 2 person setting (highest rear preload) and normal ride.
If you do not have ESA raise the rear to it's highest position and leave the front where it is. This keeps the stands and brake lever from dragging. Run the tires at 31 psi.
Don't be afraid of running the revs up by redline, It gives you more engine braking and control. Smooth inputs!
Get ready to embarrass some sport bikes and have fun.
Roads and Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
evileye OP
Adventurer

Now thats what I was looking for. I know she handles great....thanks for the input
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
The main reason I would want to unplug is my head lamp is a 55w HID....it gets real hot.....
In that case, why not just pull the fuse from the HID relay?

I would turn it off somehow just to keep the heat from making the tape adhesive harder to get off. I would also tape everything with painter's tape (the blue stuff that doesn't normally leave a residue), then tape over that with duct tape. Painter's tape may or may not get you through tech inspection (if there is one). Duct tape over lights, etc., definitely will, even if there's painter's tape underneath. Plus, your bike will look cooler with appropriately chosen duct tape colors.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
myblunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...55&postcount=1

hold down the indicator cancel button for five seconds and hold down the right indicator button for five seconds.
This should turn off the headlight and give a lampf fault on the display. (works on a '14 GSAw.)
you may have to do it every time you turn the ignition on but should alleviate the heat problem on a taped light while you are on the track.

edit: unless you HID setup won't allow this... ymmv. Hope it helps.
myblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads and Trails View Post
Get ready to embarrass some sport bikes and have fun.
This is the truth. Those guys hate it when you ride around the outside of the them waving in an upright seating position.

The only thing I would add is dual sport tires such as Anakees and Tourances get really greasy when they come up to temp. They will slide but it is predictable and consistent. Before they come up to temp they will slide and then catch abruptly which is a good recipe for a high side. Give them a solid lap or so before pushing them hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 AM   #9
karna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thinking taking my GSW 2014 track

Wondering what the best setup would be for a track-day !

Currently Running:

Me 6'1 220 pounds Tire Pressure (Front 36, Rear 42)
1. Michelin Pilot Road 3, when I ride the canyons typically ESA setting 1 person, Hard dynamic mode..
karna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by karna View Post
Wondering what the best setup would be for a track-day !

Currently Running:

Me 6'1 220 pounds Tire Pressure (Front 36, Rear 42)
1. Michelin Pilot Road 3, when I ride the canyons typically ESA setting 1 person, Hard dynamic mode..
Lower tire pressures: Front 33, rear 35. Play around a bit with it but that should get you close. I weigh less and ran 31/33 at Streets of Willow. Somewhere I've got a pitcher of the rear tire after that episode. Literally took it all all the way to the edges of the tires. The only guys that passed me were the instructors and one guy on an S1000RR.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,679
Almost everybody passes me on the track and I still have a blast.

Try to keep your heart rate under control and avoid a death grip on the bars. It'll be more fun that way

The best thing about track days is the confidence it gives you in your tires. You ain't Valentino Rossi no matter what your girlfriend tells you, so listen to the instructors and try and learn something about being smooth before you try and go fast. Watch the guys who pass you and think about their technique. Observe while you ride and engage your brain more than your wrist.

You'll have a gas!

-jeff
Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTrip View Post
Almost everybody passes me on the track and I still have a blast.

Try to keep your heart rate under control and avoid a death grip on the bars. It'll be more fun that way

The best thing about track days is the confidence it gives you in your tires. You ain't Valentino Rossi no matter what your girlfriend tells you, so listen to the instructors and try and learn something about being smooth before you try and go fast. Watch the guys who pass you and think about their technique. Observe while you ride and engage your brain more than your wrist.

You'll have a gas!

-jeff
Dont watch that guy in front TOO closely! And remember....the throttle is your friend, brake not so much. Youre not gonna spin up the rear with a 09GS, so dont be afraid to full throttle on corner exits, or in moderate apexes as well. Drag your knees and have fun!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Youre not gonna spin up the rear with a 09GS, so dont be afraid to full throttle on corner exits, or in moderate apexes as well. Drag your knees and have fun!
Ummmm.... if you're going fast enough, you can spin the rear on anything*. IOW, if you can go full throttle on a corner exit, then you could have been carrying a lot more corner speed (i.e. you're going slow).

* excepting bikes with such ridiculously limited ground clearance that they shouldn't be on a race track anyway. No lean + no power DOES equal full throttle corner exits.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 402
The sportbikes you'll be embarrassing are piloted by noobs.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #15
Roads and Trails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
damson,
I beg to differ, on a short to medium track a 1200GS can run right with sport bikes. I am not talking about racing. Just track days with street riders and street tires. Great brakes, big ground clearance, wide bars and TORQUE make for an easy bike for a street rider to quickly learn the track.
I love seeing a 1200GSA shutting the door on a GSXR in a second gear corner, and I am not talking noobs here. It is easier to change direction on a GS then a sport bike for a normal street rider. I love it when other riders at track days come up to me in the pits and ask "what kind of bike is that?"
Roads and Trails is offline   Reply With Quote