Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #181
txtinman
n00b Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
Tach signal is taken from the hall sensor in the front.
I'm not so sure of that. At least not with my CLC. My wiring diagram shows the tachometer connected to pin #32 on the motronic and coil #1 connected to the same pin. The only difference I see in my new configuration, aside from the different coils, is the new coils are not grounded whereas the oem coils had a ground wire attached to the engine head. Is it possible that the absence of the ground wire is keeping the tachometer from working? The new coil only has 2 wires. I don't know how I could attach a ground wire to test it.
txtinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #182
cele0001
Instigator

Oddometer: 333
Can you give me a link to the wiring diagram ?

You are right. I am looking at the CL1200 documentation and it is a little different than the rest of the oilheads. You even have the idle air motor.
Let me see the diagram for the second.

cele0001 screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 03:35 PM
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #183
txtinman
n00b Adventurer

These are the relevant pages

http://www.r1200clc.com/manuals/service/101_102.pdf

http://www.r1200clc.com/manuals/service/103_104.pdf

http://www.r1200clc.com/manuals/service/91_92.pdf

txtinman screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 04:47 PM
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #184
cele0001
Instigator

Additional info

Hello again. You are right. Pin 32 of ME is connected to both tach and coil 1. How many wires are there a the connector to the coil? If you could show some pictures to help out. The only thing that you should check is where does the wire split. there is a Z splice (or connector ) X9390 where the split happens. One leg goes to the tach and second goes to ME. Again pictures would be nice, but this bike is really different than the rest of the oilheads, with alarms, cruise controls and other stuff that I didn't run into with mine. I guess assuming that Germans would keep it consistent is not the way to go here.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #185
txtinman
n00b Adventurer

I used the same coils as HackyMoto. There are 2 wires coming from the coil. The original coil had 3 wires coming from it. 1 wire went to the motronic, 1 was power and the 3rd was a ground wire that was attached to the engine head.

txtinman screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 09:42 PM
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #186
cele0001
Instigator

I am at a loss a little. As a test you could fit one of your coils back to verify that tach is still working with the original setup as a starting point. I think it is left side that is being read as tach input. I am hoping somebody else will chime in. ME is triggering ground to fire the coil and this is what is being "counted"
by the tach. I dont see why it would matter which coil. The only thing different is that ground so I wouldn't exclude it as a cause.
Either way we are pioneering here so we all have to learn. At least the bike is running.

Just to clarify things for me a little, your bike is single spark and only has stick coils. There is no "bottom" plug or "conventinonal" coil under the tank (schematics does not show it anyway)
From my research there are two coils that come up for chromeheads.
Am I correct in assuming that no R1200c or cl or clc had twin spark ever?

There is yours and there is this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-BMW-R1200...2024b6&vxp=mtr

maybe not related to the issue, just throwing it out there

cele0001 screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 10:13 AM
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #187
txtinman
n00b Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
Just to clarify things for me a little, your bike is single spark and only has stick coils. There is no "bottom" plug or "conventional" coil under the tank (schematics does not show it anyway)
From my research there are two coils that come up for chromeheads.
Am I correct in assuming that no R1200c or cl or clc had twin spark ever?
My 2003 is a single spark, and only has the stick coil. The 2004 CLC has the twin spark motor. I'm not sure if any of the 1200C motors have the twin spark. Thanks for your ides. I have a coil coming sometime this month. When it gets here I'll try it out. Until then I'll ride it without the tach.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #188
cele0001
Instigator

Just wanted to post that I was wrong. Tach signal is taken from the main coil on the other oilhead machines. I guess i your case you don't have it (under the tank) that is why everything is different.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #189
Zoomtoob
Zoom

Oddometer: 155
Thumb

I own a 2004 R1150GS dual Spark. spark has been weak and I REFUSE to pay even Euromotos prices for stick coils. that tech is not smart. I have owned 4-wheel bimmers for years and those (stick coils) can be problematic also - aside from the obvious BMW expense.

I tried the CELE001 mod of using the secondary coil pack to fire the n primary plug on my dual spark with R1100S spark plug wires. worked okay but could tell by the butt dyno it was just not full power. useful to know you can get home in a pinch with that though.

HackyMoto - thank you. sporttour wrote KISS - that was your original intention I think. I am not concerned with the math of it - the proof is in the riding.

I did your mod using a slightly different methodology and just took her down the street a couple of times... geez - the thing flies. (again) and I did it for the cost of used R1100s plug wires and the ford COP you suggested.

I used a staple to create a connector to the bikes 3-pin stick coil plug. I bought some pep boys connects for the ford coil side (ordered the PICO parts and they are on their way for $15 shipped on fleabay) and soldered/shrinktubed the hell out of it all for the test. looks ugly but the bike is "Beast" so it fits.

Note: the bmw plug wire fit over the end of the rubber cap on the ford assembly. no need to trim that spring or wire down for this test - or for the final install. This keeps it all real watertight and allows use of the same R1100S plug wire for the emergency "secondary-coil-to-primary-plug" usage.

This is why I love the machine and the community. if you like to wrench - the BMW community is aces. Thanks again, Hacky - I owe you a beer and a shot.
Zoomtoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #190
cele0001
Instigator

Will revisit my setup, while you are playing could you disconnect the secondary spark ( cut power to the coil under the tank) and see what is the difference with bike running only on primary.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #191
cele0001
Instigator

Coil Sticks no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomtoob View Post
I own a 2004 R1150GS dual Spark. spark has been weak and I REFUSE to pay even Euromotos prices for stick coils. that tech is not smart. I have owned 4-wheel bimmers for years and those (stick coils) can be problematic also - aside from the obvious BMW expense.

I tried the CELE001 mod of using the secondary coil pack to fire the n primary plug on my dual spark with R1100S spark plug wires. worked okay but could tell by the butt dyno it was just not full power. useful to know you can get home in a pinch with that though.

HackyMoto - thank you. sporttour wrote KISS - that was your original intention I think. I am not concerned with the math of it - the proof is in the riding.

I did your mod using a slightly different methodology and just took her down the street a couple of times... geez - the thing flies. (again) and I did it for the cost of used R1100s plug wires and the ford COP you suggested.

I used a staple to create a connector to the bikes 3-pin stick coil plug. I bought some pep boys connects for the ford coil side (ordered the PICO parts and they are on their way for $15 shipped on fleabay) and soldered/shrinktubed the hell out of it all for the test. looks ugly but the bike is "Beast" so it fits.

Note: the bmw plug wire fit over the end of the rubber cap on the ford assembly. no need to trim that spring or wire down for this test - or for the final install. This keeps it all real watertight and allows use of the same R1100S plug wire for the emergency "secondary-coil-to-primary-plug" usage.

This is why I love the machine and the community. if you like to wrench - the BMW community is aces. Thanks again, Hacky - I owe you a beer and a shot.

This might be the ultimate setup for reliability and redundancy. As you said, the main goal is to get home.
I do wonder if setup can be made using another main coil ( just like the one under the tank) to fire primary sparks and have complete redundancy of parts.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #192
Zoomtoob
Zoom

I know where you're going with this. Use another secondary coil pack to fire the primaries? Hmmm. I have one of those laying around... If the factory power wire is wired in parallel and fires both coils at same time in the stock setup, is there enough juice in that 12v ecu circuit for this to work? Seems too easy.

Zoom
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #193
Zoomtoob
Zoom

I know - this is ugly...

Zoom
Old 03-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #194
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
ZT, Make sure that your spark plug wire are well away for the TPS and O2 sensor cables.

Also, it looks like you have two coils tapes on to the left TB. What is that under the red connectors? I guess that is the whole coil on plug. RB
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #195
cele0001
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomtoob View Post
I know - this is ugly...

Zoom
I like this guys setup. Very clean and functional.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9548542...7633990382622/