Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
jduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Will this work on Hexhead Motor?
Anybody know why this wouldn't work on the 1200, even as an emergency limp home type situation?
jduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post

Will this work on Hexhead Motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post

Anybody know why this wouldn't work on the 1200..?
Yes, the modification works fine on the 1200. The 1150 twin spark and the 1200 both use the same stick coil.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Yes, the modification works fine on the 1200. The 1150 twin spark and the 1200 both use the same stick coil.

Nice bit of knowledge, hope this helps someone out (like me) if stranded
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #34
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
stick coils

I tremble when I think about what the next water cooled generation of engines will bring. More money for BMW one way or another I suspect.
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #35
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,721
Quote:

If anybody does this to a 1200, please take pics and do a tutorial...unless mine goes first..then I will
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Good thread

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #37
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer: 306
Great thread Hackymoto! Any more details or pics on the connectors you used? The BMW coil plug looks to be odd ball, but would the Ford connector happen to be common like AMP, Molex, Deutsch, or Delphi?

My left stick just started acting up...
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #38
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,060
Thumb Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto View Post

Am fortunate to have two GSís aí 04 1150 36k and a í06 1150 adv 47k both twin spark. Both started running ruff dropping a couple hundred rpmís at idle and missing under load. The coil sticks (one each) on both bikeís went bad within a couple weeks so thatís 2 timeís 140.00 or 4 timeís if oneís to replace them all. I didnít want to go back to the coil sticks because of the fail rate and the price so I started thinking what kind of alternative action I could take. I wanted a coil that was small available everyware and (cheep) (inexpensive) reasonably priced, I found it 1999- to present 5.4 Ford F-150Ďs C.O.P. coils checked the specs (Ohms) close enough and at 30 bucks each itís worth a try.
Pick-up two coils from the parts house and a wire harness from a ford 5.4 at the auto recyclers for the connectors on the coils. Plug wires Iíve had laying around.
I didnít want to cut the bikes wiring in case I wanted to ever go back to the stick coils, so I got four sub-d connectors that fit right into the bikes coil connectors.
Hook it up and Iíve got spark
The coil are zippy tied to the frame for now if this works out Iíll mount them-up this winter.

Got about 200 miles so far allís well.
2 coils 60.00
Wire harness 10.00
Sub-d connectors 2.00
Plug wires ????

The ford coils come with a spark plug boots on them, remove the boot and save the spring and the little carbon thing inside the middle of the spring.

The coil high tension terminal has a spade connector on it you will need to use the spring & carbon deal to make the connection to the plug wire so it doesnít arc out and burn things.
What I did was cut the spring and carbon deal down until the plug wire end fit in the coil make sure the spring goes around the spade connector in the coil .(The connector in the pic. Is off center because I was poking around with it.)

Had cold hands 10f when pics. were takin

Note the spring end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Any updates? How's it working. Can you show a picture of the spark plug end of the wire. Curious what kind of time you used since it has to go deep.

Itís just a regular spark plug end for now. Iím looking at some different plug wires with longer ends.
I seen some Toyotaís and some other fords with longer plug ends but havenít really resourced it yet.
Spark plug wire puller (boot pliers) work good for removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz View Post
Great thread Hackymoto! Any more details or pics on the connectors you used? The BMW coil plug looks to be odd ball, but would the Ford connector happen to be common like AMP, Molex, Deutsch, or Delphi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz View Post

My left stick just started acting up...

Iím sure the Ford connector is common. You can get pig tail connectors (repair kit) ready to clip on but they were more expensive then the wire loom from the junk yard.

Connector at ford coil Red/ Lt. Green is power

Here is the connection at the coil stick end with the Sub-D. Itís open for the pic. I used shrink tubing to seal the connections. There are three wires green, brown, black /.
Green is switched power. Black with tracer is the signal from the ECU. I beleave this is the right side signal from ECU. Left side should be a different color. Brown is ground that I left unhooked..

Note after about 500 miles I had a problem with the right side connection. The Sub-D pins are a little to big and donít quite fit just right. Iíll have to find different connectors or just cut the dam wire harness.

If you get the wire loom at the auto recyclers there is a connector for a capacitor on the power side. The capacitor is mounted right on top of the engine. I picked this one up from the dealer. 12.00 bucks

Thanks Poolside for covering me on the Hexhead

Iíve put about 800miles before I put it up for winter. No problems besides the connector.
Didnít ride in the rain or water crossings so I donít know if the plug wires will arc out when wet.

So thatís what I did. Your results may vary on all kinds of things so good luck!

DisclaimerÖ
For competition use only.
Warning if for some reason thereís a voltage spike though the coils itĎs possible it could take out the E.C.U. youíd been warned and Have a nice day!

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)

HackyMoto screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 01:26 AM
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #39
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Thanks for the update!!

As I was searching for connectors for the OEM GS coil harness I came across some Bimmer auto coils that may also be worth looking into. None of the connector sizes I found are even close to fitting the bike harness, but the E34 harness example I found has three conductors and even has the same color wires as an oilhead. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a sparkplug wire to these coils? Ohm specs I found were 0.4 - 0.8

E34 harness

1999 M3 3.2 E36 coil

E34 coil
Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

The hard part is where to put the coils there's no room to putum
Beemeerr coils=$$$

I was at the hobby shop the other day there's some connectors that the r/c servos/radios use like Futaba. I haven't sized them yet mite be to small.

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

HackyMoto screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 12:07 PM
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #41
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Thank you for posting HackyMoto.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #42
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto View Post

I was at the hobby shop the other day there's some connectors that the r/c servos/radios use like Futaba. I haven't sized them yet mite be to small.
If you post up the part number on the connector housing, and some front/back/side views, I'll see about locating them. There should be a manufacturer logo molded into the connector housing as well. Do you have an old coil? The coil manufacturer name and part number would also be useful.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #43
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Thumb

Quote:
If you post up the part number on the connector housing, and some front/back/side views, I'll see about locating them. There should be a manufacturer logo molded into the connector housing as well. Do you have an old coil? The coil manufacturer name and part number would also be useful.

Thanks Poolside, hereís some pics. I had to use the card back drop for the pics to turn out.
Will these work

The clip on the left has a bmw #

The connectorís female ends are square not round.

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #44
Poolside
Syndicated

We'll see. That's a Hirschmann logo on the connector, and the coil is made by Bremi. But that part is easy.

Next to the Hirschmann logo is another small circle. It looks like that might be another logo. (Not the date circle, the smaller circle.) Can you tell if it looks like the letters LK ?

There also looks to be a logo on the 'rubber' boot.

It appears the numbers on one side of the connector are 872 405. But there might be a smaller number before and after.

I can't read the numbers on the other side of the connector body, but it looks like it might be in AMP/Tyco part number format.

Poolside screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 04:22 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #45
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

This pigtail connector looks like it may fit the bike harness - BMW P/N 83300413582. It's not cheep though. It must be available elsewhere.