User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #61
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,063
Thumb Coil mod back from road trip.

I just did 4000 miles from sea level to 9000 feet temps from upper 50f. to 100+f. and loads all up and down the scale running supreme pump gas. I’m happy to report that the coil mod worked without a problem. It worked so good it got me first place in the Rawhide’s Adventure Rider Challenge on day 1
So far I know of two coil mods a friends twin spark 04’ 1150 and mine with no problems. So there you go. Happy motoring.

Side note:
I just placed 2nd in the GS trophy on the west coast and if you are on facebook I would like your vote to represent the U.S.A. and the Motorcycle community in the GS Trophy Challenge. Vote at BMW Motorrad USA facebook page. Click on my pic. to vote for me. Note not iphone friendly.
Thanks all

Me Rippin it up in Moab.

Photo by Overland Motorsports Photography

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #62
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Good work man!

I just dropped $240.00 on two new sticks. They will be my last.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #63
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,432
Good deal. Nice picture Definately front page material click here.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #64
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporttour View Post
Is there a need for one capacitor per coil?
Where and how it needs to be wired?

Thanks!
No need for the cap unless you have points ignition.
AFAIK, those bikes have an electronic ignition.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #65
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,227
Hackey, I attempted to vote twice but the Face Book Voting Police wouldn't allow it.

Good luck.

def
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #66
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
No need for the cap unless you have points ignition.
AFAIK, those bikes have an electronic ignition.

Pete
Thank you!

I took a different aproach:
Got 2 stick coils from a guy who was parting out a 1200, then I bought two straight 27 inch coil lead wires from autozone, after some creative use of zip-ties I fixed them to the subframe, one on each side of the airbox.
I spent less than $60 including the coils. Best part: I didn't had to mess with the conectors.. 6,000 mi later I'm still a happy camper
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #67
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you!

Got 2 stick coils from a guy who was parting out a 1200, then I bought two straight 27 inch coil lead wires from autozone, after some creative use of zip-ties I fixed them to the subframe, one on each side of the airbox.
I spent less than $60 including the coils. Best part: I didn't had to mess with the conectors.. 6,000 mi later I'm still a happy camper
Dam. I thought I had an original idea with that one. Cheap sticks can be had from FleaBay. I found a bunch of stick coils for sport bikes.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #68
jdbski
old but getting younger

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Thank you!

Pictures please
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #69
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbski View Post
Pictures please
I will post them in a couple of days since I have to take of the tupperware; mine is an '04 R1150 RT
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #70
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Oddometer: 22
Well, I did the conversion to Ford C.O.P and she no run good at all. It is as if the primary plugs are not there and it runs only on the secondaries. Oh, this is an '04RT I'm playing with. I pull the primary plugs and ground them then turn over the engine and I get spark on both plugs so it must be that the spark is just not strong enough when under compression. I didn't pay any attention to which of the two wires from the motronic I connected to which of the two coil terminals. The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon. I am at a loss.....HELP!
Jammess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #71
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Mayday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammess View Post
Well, I did the conversion to Ford C.O.P and she no run good at all. It is as if the primary plugs are not there and it runs only on the secondaries. Oh, this is an '04RT I'm playing with. I pull the primary plugs and ground them then turn over the engine and I get spark on both plugs so it must be that the spark is just not strong enough when under compression. I didn't pay any attention to which of the two wires from the motronic I connected to which of the two coil terminals. The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon. I am at a loss.....HELP!
That's one hell of a first post. What wires did you use?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #72
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammess View Post
Um, unless I'm missing something here, they are called primary and secondary coils for a reason. The secondary is timed to fire later than the primary which may account for the poor performance.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #73
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
That's one hell of a first post. What wires did you use?
lol..lol..I guess I haven't had much to say on this forum come to think about it. As to what wires did I use, I connected the two outside wires from the stick coil connector to the primary side of the Ford coil. The center (third) wire is a shield ground used by the original stick coil I believe.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #74
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Um, unless I'm missing something here, they are called primary and secondary coils for a reason. The secondary is timed to fire later than the primary which may account for the poor performance.

JJ
Evening John, I was referring to the center spark plugs which the stick coils connect to as the primary plugs and the two plugs located on the lower side of the head are commonly referred to as secondary plugs fired by conventional coils. I'm not fooling around with the secondary plugs or secondary coils at all just the stick coils. I also refer to the primary and secondary windings of each stick coil. Going to reverse the connections to the Ford coil-on-plugs tomorrow just to see if that makes a difference as I think the low side of the secondary winding is connected to the low side of the primary winding. If that makes sense.

Also, I thought both primary and secondary plugs fired together, no time difference. I'm pretty sure my problem is a weak spark on the primary plugs that gets blown out when under compression. Hey, worse case is I go back to the original stick coils.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #75
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,571
Ah I see.

And yes the primary and secondary inputs to coils do make a BIG difference. Primary coils usually measure under 10 Ω (sometimes well under as in 0.5Ω) and the secondary coils measure in the KΩ (thousands, as in 10K ±). So wiring them in backwards will result in no to extremely weak spark. If you know how to use a DVM you should be able to readily tell the difference.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote