bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Relocating Stick Coils

Sorry to do a highjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporttour View Post
Hacky, sorry for the hijack.... I will post this and I'll be gone

The stick coils I got came from a K1200GT. As you can see the body of the coils are the same length. I peeled off the rubber boots to expose the brass contact pole extensions, the extensions are secured to the body by a snap ring... If you follow this route what you need to do next is going to be evident.

This is how it looks once you are done...

Coil placement: high, dry, and COOLER
I'm going to give this a try on my 1150 GSA using the existing stick coils. But was wondering about the ground wire on the BMW coil wire, that is fastened to the back of the cylinder head.
Is this the same on the 1200GS (searched Maxbmw micro fiche no luck) & if so did you reattach it to another point higher up in the frame?

I will have to do some real hard looking for a mount location as the 1150GSA doesn't have any Tupperware in your location...but that will have to wait till it warms up here in the North.....Thanks
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #92
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
But was wondering about the ground wire on the BMW coil wire, that is fastened to the back of the cylinder head.
Is this the same on the 1200GS (searched Maxbmw micro fiche no luck) & if so did you reattach it to another point higher up in the frame?
Yep, relocate the ground wherever is convinient and you are good to go.
I'm happy to report that after the mod I've gone thru 2 sets of tires without a single hiccup from the engine
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #93
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Yep, relocate the ground wherever is convinient and you are good to go.
I'm happy to report that after the mod I've gone thru 2 sets of tires without a single hiccup from the engine
Great, i was thinking that was what I was going to do. Found some HT leads & they fit into the 1150 Stick Coils. I've just got to get a warmer day to install & test the setup.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #94
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question High Tension/Spark Plug Wire from single spark

Would anyone know if the high tension/spark plug wire from a single spark R1100/R1150 (which includes that fancy boot),
fits the primary spark plug tunnel of the dual spark R1100/R1150 ?

If you have a dual spark cylinder ,and you're doing this modification, it might be more secure than just a regular high tension spark plug boot; that's provided it's the same diameter valve cover and length to reach the spark plug.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #95
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post
Would anyone know if the high tension/spark plug wire from a single spark R1100/R1150 (which includes that fancy boot),
fits the primary spark plug tunnel of the dual spark R1100/R1150 ?
Yep, they will fit right into the tunnel, although I'm not sure that the cables are long enough.

You can go with original parts or an aftermarket set like:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Ign...bmw-wsr641.htm

http://www.beruparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=26
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #96
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Yep, they will fit right into the tunnel, although I'm not sure that the cables are long enough.

You can go with original parts or an aftermarket set like:

http://www.beruparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=26

Thanks for the links. That is what I have been looking for. Looks like the quickest and easiest way to make the coil move if I decide to go that route.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #97
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by picinisco View Post
Summit racing sell this connector that fits the Ford coil perfectly. $3.95 each. They sell them on eBay.

My question is what wire goes where on the bike.

What is the part number of this connector??
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #98
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluByU View Post
What is the part number of this connector??

From the Summit website. It's a Pico brand connector. Summit Pt# PCO-5713PT.

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #99
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

did the mod yesterday, bike runs fantastic
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #100
reyb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammess View Post
After my little experiment with coil replacement using the Accel Super Coil I would have to say that until I see with my own eyes a successful stick coil replacement then I'm going to stick (no pun intended) with what works. Connecting up a replacement for the stick coils isn't rocket science, just two wires for the primary and one HV lead to the plug. In my case I had spark as observed with the plugs removed and grounded and the engine turned over on the starter motor but put the plugs in the head and nada. That tells me the coils don't have the proper electrical characteristics to match the performance of the original BMW coils. End of my experiment before I end up shopping for a new Motronic, god forbid.
Anybody else do this mod with the Accel 140032 Super coil? I was targeting this coil over the SMP FD508(?) because the Accel has a better turn ratio which my understanding equates to higher voltage. Can there be too much voltage to a spark plug? Other questions I have are:

1. Are the terminals on the donor coil label as to which is positive/negative?

2. I can probably test which is positive/negative on the OEM connector to the stick coil, but does anyone know off-hand what color wire is positive/negative?

Thanks,

Rey
reyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #101
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyb View Post

2. I can probably test which is positive/negative on the OEM connector to the stick coil, but does anyone know off-hand what color wire is positive/negative?

Thanks,

Rey
On post#38 there's pix. of the connectors. I need to reconfirm power and signal at the ford coil. Green at coil stick-end is power, black/tracer is sig. from computer. Let us know how it works

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #102
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluByU View Post
did the mod yesterday, bike runs fantastic
That's great
What did you end up using for the mod

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #103
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,514
To address the question on the super coil.

You can not get something for nothing. As the voltage goes up the current goes down. There is a sweet spot. Hopefully the super coil is made with better steel and maybe a higher primary current so the current (which makes that big fat blue spark) is not diminished too much. Otherwise, the spark plug limits the voltage, when it fires that is the voltage of the system. A 20 KV coil and a 50 KV coil hooked to the same plug that fires at 10 K act pretty much the same. Now if you are racing with very high compression and very good filling of the cylinders, or are poorly maintained and have a big gap, or want to run a bigger gap for better ignition, then you might benefit from the super coil. This is why funny cars use mags, some of them put over 10 amps thru the plug. Of course the plug has a life of maybe 2 minutes total, and about 4 seconds at full power, BUT at over 1000 horsepower per cylinder they need that.

Confused. Try one and report back including plug life. Odds of it hurting something are very low. It might be the perfect coil. There is really no cheap and simple way to give an answer. In my racing days, using a race ignition on street engines resulted in much shorter plug life. assuming the engine lasted that long

Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyb View Post
Anybody else do this mod with the Accel 140032 Super coil? I was targeting this coil over the SMP FD508(?) because the Accel has a better turn ratio which my understanding equates to higher voltage. Can there be too much voltage to a spark plug? Other questions I have are:
Rey
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #104
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
if the coil's primary resistance is too low you run the risk of burning out the motronic.... I believe that to be the only possible fly in the ointment on this alteration. any properly designed 12 volt coil should work as long as the primary is at least as high as the original.... it can be higher no problem

quick check on that part number is .66 ohms...

Beezer screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 12:34 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #105
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto View Post
That's great
What did you end up using for the mod
I used the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon Evan-Fischer EVA13872039532 Ignition Coil Standard Type pack 1 per cylinder 12 volts Blade 2-prong male terminal and the resistance is the same (or so says my Fluke23)
THe terminals are marked, well at least the B+ is marked.

Used these wires
Coils simply plug into the wires, the spring things in the coils wrap around the electrode on the plug wire end. Used a dap of Di-electric grease just to makes sure things were sealed & could be removed if needed in the future.

THe old girl seems to run a lot smoother and sure starts up a lot easier in the cold mornings.