Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #76
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,620
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
Yikes! Love the detail in those paw prints.
Do you guys carry bear spray? Just curious if any precautions are needed. I have read that letting bears know where you are (bells, noise) helps them from getting startled. That, and don't make yourself or your camp smell like food.
Surely youve heard this joke...

"They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper".
On a serious note... AWESOME valley pic there man!!! aaand I believe Swinada and you shoulda probably made him a fender extension outta some bark/or by hack'n off the back of the front fender and hang'n it up front with the faithful duct tape/zip tie/wire tool kit LOL! Maybe use one a the klr's sidecovers... Seriously Ida been MacGyver'n like a foool!
Cuz he dooon't loook tooo haapppy...

Great write up! ThanxJJ

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 09:04 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #77
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I believe Swinada and you shoulda probably made him a fender extension outta some bark/or by hack'n off the back of the front fender and hang'n it up front with the faithful duct tape/zip tie/wire tool kit LOL! Maybe use one a the klr's sidecovers... Seriously Ida been MacGyver'n like a foool!
Cuz he dooon't loook tooo haapppy...
Yeah, we almost did a couple times, but for some reason never bothered. Found a broken jerry can at some point that we were going to use. We even had duct tape, zip ties, and baling wire... I think he was so dirty by then he stopped caring. On the way back we just ran through all the water to wash off .
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #78
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
Yeah, we almost did a couple times, but for some reason never bothered. Found a broken jerry can at some point that we were going to use. We even had duct tape, zip ties, and baling wire... I think he was so dirty by then he stopped caring. On the way back we just ran through all the water to wash off .
HaHA Yup I can imagine....funny shit none the less
Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #79
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Really mean Grizzly

Crooked creek normally just kicks a bear in the nose.

But---if you see bear crap like this---run for you life.

The bear took the bear spray and Gerber LMFII away from the hiker--than ate all 3.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #80
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Man..with scenery like that you've got to really ask yourself if it was worth all the hardship and toil to make it there....

The answer is almost always a resounding 'yes'
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #81
RiderJones
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
Are those Griz tracks huge, or do you have tiny rubber boots?

RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #82
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Surely youve heard this joke...

"They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper".
The pilot swears this one is true - after dropping off canoeists at a headwaters lake, pilots often circle back over the spot, and wave the wings. This time he saw the two...European...visitors rolling on the ground, clawing at themselves. He quickly landed again to see what was happening and if the guys were all right. Then had to explain that it was bear spray, to be sprayed towards a charging bear, not bear repellent...

And yes, quite effective based on recent research. On rare occasion, a black bear will return to the spot after some hours (grizzlies didn't), so change camp if you have to use spray.

Great RR! Can we get to the Golden Bear Mine road part, please?
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #83
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
But---if you see bear crap like this---run for your life.
Haha, thanks Mark. That was good for laugh the first time I saw it and still is. I didn't think you were following along, so thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones View Post
Are those Griz tracks huge, or do you have tiny rubber boots?

I wear size 14 EEE . Just kidding, but it was a big bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
On rare occasion, a black bear will return to the spot after some hours (grizzlies didn't), so change camp if you have to use spray.
A guy I know (18 years old) had this happen a couple weeks ago, except without the bear spray. He was sleeping by the fire (with a dozen kids in tents nearby) and the bear was smelling his face. Half asleep, he tried to brush it away and it bit him in the hand. But it kept coming back and he missed it with the axe a couple times. The next time it came back, he hit it with a piece of firewood, so it took off for a bit. He goes back to sleep (didn't wake up anyone after getting bit or nothing) thinking that he had chased it off. At breakfast he finds out that 2 girls saw it going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and then the wrangler saw it a couple hours later hovering over him and tried to shoot it, but couldn't get a clear shot. But no one had said anything in the night to avoid causing the kids to panic. Anyways in the morning, he realized how bad his hand was and went in the the hospital. They moved camp though, and Fish and Wildlife killed the bear that evening.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #84
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Laugh

All good chat while we wait for the next insallment to simmer...
Lucky kids and dude in that last story, and the bear spray Europeans...ooh booy.
I can point blank attest to the sting of Pepper Spray when 3yrs ago two Rangers in the Adirondacks sprayed me after a crazy misunderstanding...I can say it was veerrry uncomfortable!!!

They can say it was very uncomfortable for them to have me throw them both off and being unable to stop me (with Batons flailing at my knees no less) as I went 60yds up to the nearest building to try and rinse off!
But that's a whole nuther story...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 11:47 PM
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #85
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cry Little Klappan River to km 170

So anyways...the bear track were really fresh. They went along the rail bed for a ways and then went off for a bit. But then they were back on and turned off abruptly.

Swinada was leading the pack at this point, and he thought he might have seen something big and brown take off over the little ridge.

So I pulled a u-turn, took out my camera and headed back to where the tracks veered of the rail bed. Swinada stayed put in case I was able to push him back out into the open. I couldn't see into the dip well from the rail bed, but I saw where the tracks went and intercepted them on a little rocky trail south off the grade. No luck though.

It doesn't take much brush to hide a bear.

But time was wastin', so back out to the road.

I'm pretty sure nio one had been down this far since last fall.

Not this again... I think this one was worse because all the ruts were silted in, but we were getting better at riding them The trail is more of a cleared path than a raised grade at this point.

He looks happy . Actually, I think he's looking at his GPS, trying to figure out how far we are along.

From here, you could see that the rail bed was descending into a bit of a bog. Remembering this section from a topo map I had seen online, it was not looking good.

While we were sitting there trying to decide what to do, a black bear popped out on the trail right behind us. I was a little slow with the camera though.

I knew Swinada wasn't having too much fun on this section, but he was a good sport, pulling out a little liquid energy.

Had I been by myself, I would have kept going, but knowing now what was to transpire with my chain, it's probably a good thing I didn't.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #86
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Had I been by myself, I would have kept going, but knowing now what was to transpire with my chain, it's probably a good thing I didn't.
Nice cliffhanger, way to leave us wanting more.
Thanks again for taking the time to post your Ride Report. I am thoroughly enjoying your pictures and wordsmithing. So what happens next . . .
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #87
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Km 170 to Mount Klappan

Back through the fun stuff.

Since we had all sorts of time to explore now, I headed up the first promising side trail I saw. But the hole was a lot deeper than it looked and a bit tricky as it was too muddy to see anything underneath. Swinada's front tire chose a different rut than his rear, resulting in the KLR taking a wet nap. It took me a while to get my bike parked so it wouldn't join the KLR on the ground, but eventually I went and helped Swinada pick up the bike. Of course I had to take a pic. The mosquitoes were ridiculous though, so we elected to keep moving.

Now that we weren't on a serious expedition anymore, I stopped caring about getting wet.

I hit every puddle on the way back in an effort to clean my ailing chain. Ok, it was fun too.

Swinada took a little video, but I didn't notice he was filming until the end or I would have done something interesting.

Taking a look at my chain after "cleaning" it. It was definitely showing some wear.

It was also really loose, so I did a little field adjustment. Even at home, I always do my chain adjustments, (and all my maintenance) with the factory tool kit. That way I don't tend to over tighten stuff.

Stopped at where the Spatsizi crossed the rail bed to try fishing, but the water was too muddy.

Swinada broke a zipper, but a zip tie fixed 'er up.

If the water is high enough, this is where we'll be putting the canoe in next week.

As we got back from fishing, we noticed this.

I did a little more "chain cleaning" in this little pond, and there was a fish swimming ahead of my bike as a rode.

At km 114, we took a left and headed up the hill. And by hill I mean Mount Klappan.

Going up.

And up.

This next part really has to be seen to be appreciated.

This was quite the coal mine back in the day.

Again, I had no idea Swinada was fliming, so I didn't drive up to the ridge like he wanted me to. But then I did.

It was a little colder up here.

Crooked Creek screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 12:51 AM
Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #88
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Haha, thanks Mark. That was good for laugh the first time I saw it and still is. I didn't think you were following along, so thanks for chiming in.
There's always way more people following a story on ADV than you think--most just read and never say anything. So don't ever think that a handful are watching.

I like following the more interesting ones--such as yours. A guy can always learn a lot of stuff on here---and can pick up on so many things---some really simple and maybe some not. It's a wealth of information and entertainment.

Thanks again !!

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #89
BlindPew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Same

Hey CC! I've been lurking through your adventure. Your pictures are just great. Such a beautiful part of our planet. I also followed your previous ride. You have been taking us to some pretty cool areas. On my last two excursions to the north I have missed this area and I know just where it is. I won't miss it next year. Looking forward to your next instalment :-)
Cheers

"WE live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal
BlindPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #90
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,368
I have a feeling that area's going to see a little more activity in the future...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote