Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #91
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I have a feeling that area's going to see a little more activity in the future...

... if it ever dries out up in this part of the province... I concur. Heck... I might even be one of 'em!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #92
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
KM from Tatogga?

Just to confirm that when you say KM 170, that's from Tatogga, not the intersection with the rail grade?

Yeah, way too wet this year and no relief in sight. Going to turn to snow in about 7 weeks...
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #93
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
Bump.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #94
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
All good chat while we wait for the next insallment to simmer...
Lucky kids and dude in that last story, and the bear spray Europeans...ooh booy.
I can point blank attest to the sting of Pepper Spray when 3yrs ago two Rangers in the Adirondacks sprayed me after a crazy misunderstanding...I can say it was veerrry uncomfortable!!!

They can say it was very uncomfortable for them to have me throw them both off and being unable to stop me (with Batons flailing at my knees no less) as I went 60yds up to the nearest building to try and rinse off!
But that's a whole nuther story...

That is a story I would like to hear.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #95
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
You took some GREAT photos! How do you like the little WR? I plan on keeping the KLR, but am looking for a lightweight stablemate. What is the average fuel mileage, or I guess km/liter?

I have been thinking about one of those cute little fenders, but on a low mount. It might work better there.

Thanks for taking us on this trip.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #96
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,073
This is great stuff.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #97
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Just to confirm that when you say KM 170, that's from Tatogga, not the intersection with the rail grade?
That's from the beginning of the Ealue Lake road (as that's where the km signs are measured from.) And it's a guess, because I don't have GPS (and my odometer is fast) and Swinada's GPS didn't measure it. But for sure 160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
How do you like the little WR? I plan on keeping the KLR, but am looking for a lightweight stablemate. What is the average fuel mileage, or I guess km/liter?

I have been thinking about one of those cute little fenders, but on a low mount. It might work better there..
I love the R2. Haven't missed my KLR at all. (The KLR does have a more comfortable seat and seat and better wind protection though.) As far as fuel mileage, my "average" is not known and might not be that helpful to you. Lots of good info on here and here. I've probably gotten as low as 40 and as high as 100 mpg. Unloaded and around home I tend to be operating at or near full throttle a lot, but on the Golden Bear road I was in economy mode and would have gotten well over 500km on that tank. 70 mpg (us) is realistic on this bike, but variations in rider style, weight, bike mods, wind, etcs make a huge difference on the little bike. But it will beat the KLR every time . The guys who've mounted a low fender on the KLR tend to like it, if you don't mind the looks of it.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #98
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mount Klappan

Time pressure off, Swinada and I wandered around enjoying the scenery and taking a few pics. I walked down this trail to see if I could ride down the mountain this way, but the "path" ended up in a rockslide over a cliff. So I decided against it.

We were assaulted with joy and rainbows for so much this trip.

But we weren't quite at the peak yet, so there was no way I was stopping now. I even convinced Swinada to scramble up the shale with me.

How's that for a view?

From the peak, we could see our campsite waaaaaaaaaay down there. 12x zoom:

48x:

I hiked over to the other side of the peak to see what I could see.

And here's what I saw:

10 points if you can spot the ptarmigan in this one:

Or this one:

This one is easy.

My photogenic friend was cooperating so well, that I walked her over here and posed her with the bikes.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I have a way with upland game birds. Locally, I'm know as the "Chicken Whisperer." I wanted to show Swinada our special bond, so we meandered all the way from the other side of the peak, me following her lead. Swinada recalls it this way.

Quote:
CC had gone for a little stroll while I sat and enjoyed the view. As i was watching CC wander around I thought to myself; "what is this guy doing? he is wandering back and forth and back and forth in zig zag????"

Not much lives up here, except maybe "Dinner" ???? watch the video....

Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #99
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,643
"I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I have a way with upland game birds. Locally, I'm know as the "Chicken Whisperer." I wanted to show Swinada our special bond, so we meandered all the way from the other side of the peak, me following her lead. Swinada recalls it this way."
lol yup we kind got tht idea...
Awesome pics too! I don't know how to put little arrows on the pics but in the first on she's 5/8 up the pic in the clump of larger rocks off slightly left and facing away.
In the next one she's 3/16 from the left of the pic on the road edge facing 11:00 away .
That was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
That is a story I would like to hear.
Oooh boy uh huh...ok Go to jail with a $100,000 bail!!! A friend and I are ALWAYS the first to ride our sleds across all the areas lakes in December juuuust as the ice gets safe...we just don't stop out there to chat! (we also ride open water but that's another story) We had just ridden the 9 miles across the Flow when we get a call at the Lodge at Beaver River. (we were the first of the season to reach it..No other way but on the railroad tracks..and there's not enough snow yet) Sooo A drunk women claims to have seen 2 guys go through the ice on the Stillwater Reservoir, and a group is rounded up and adrenaline is HIGH. We get a call from an angry COCKY ranger and it escallates from there...I'll save ya all the details...I end up going before the Grand Jury (with testimony from my riding friend * a millitary meteorologist) they find me innocent. Case closed....but it took $15,000 cash (from the local snowmobile shop and my wifes best friend) to spring me after the third day. And the lawyers fee (the bail bondsmans brother) ended up costting us $7,000...Sooo lesson learned is....."Force, no matter how concealed, begets resistence." Lakota saying
Okay thread jack done... hopefully I filled in for Crooked Creek like a commercial break
And also FloorPoor my buddy averages 62mpg on his with a medium load on it. And here's another RR by MrFisherman with a WR, big tank and BC Lynx fairing. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701761
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #100
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
Front Page Photo

Lots of top photos on this ride.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #101
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Excellent post and photos. A buddy and I rode the railbed 40-50 km south in 2005. Beautiful scenery but when you look around you realize how far from help you are if something happens. It's great to see what was down the trail

You mention coal mines. Did they actually mine coal there or was it more exploration to see if it would be viable if the railway came to town?

Thanks for sharing.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #102
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Yea....I'd like to know a bit more about that mine too. Any info CC?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #103
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Well...Google is your friend....

Turns out the Mt Kapplan 'Mine' has been in development for quite a while now. Might want to head in there before anything happens.....
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #104
swinada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
That's from the beginning of the Ealue Lake road (as that's where the km signs are measured from.) And it's a guess, because I don't have GPS (and my odometer is fast) and Swinada's GPS didn't measure it. But for sure 160.
What ya mean Swinada's GPS didnt measure it??? Swinada's GPS measured every mile of it.
In total I put 1937km's on my bike and 800 some on my truck.
but you want to know how far we got on the rail bed and how far away we where from the Kluatantan River. According to MapSource about 35km's to the Kluatantan and guessing by the maps I would say they would have been very muddy 35 kilometers.
From the beginning of the railbed, so on the other side of the Kapplan River Bridge, to where we turned around it was 131km's! Hey only about 270 more to go to Takkla landing :)
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #105
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Yea....I'd like to know a bit more about that mine too. Any info CC?
http://www.fortuneminerals.com/Proje...t/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinada View Post
What ya mean Swinada's GPS didnt measure it??? Swinada's GPS measured every mile of it.
In total I put 1937km's on my bike and 800 some on my truck.
but you want to know how far we got on the rail bed and how far away we where from the Kluatantan River. According to MapSource about 35km's to the Kluatantan and guessing by the maps I would say they would have been very muddy 35 kilometers.
From the beginning of the railbed, so on the other side of the Kapplan River Bridge, to where we turned around it was 131km's! Hey only about 270 more to go to Takkla landing :)
Haha. Touchy much? All I remember you fiddling with the GPS for a while and not knowing how far the Kluatantan was . Thought you said you lost your track or something. But if it was only 35km we should have kept going .