Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
OMG Awesome photos, great ride! Can't wait for the rest.....
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
Bad Ass Camp INDEED!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Bad Ass Camp INDEED!
It was great. I made a waypoint for it on my GPS called Bad Ass Camp.

The first day was fantastic! We stayed on the route and did not really have any trouble at all. Everything was flowing!

You know, I feel kind of weird using the phrase "giant loop". Do you guys have that copyrighted? I just cannot come up with a better phrase to describe a very long multi-day off road self supported circular trip. I look forward to doing many more of them. Maybe for more days and longer distance next time! I was amazed to see how far you guys were going on yours in the days before we headed down.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
I had to check my garage to make sure my KLX was still there. It has seen some of that country too. After looking at your pics, I am ready for a redo.

Show us more.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,803
Very nice, I nominated this picture for front page.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what a great thread
wonderful pictures... enjoyed the stories behind them, as well
thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 - Problems arise

Here is one of Chuck’s shots from the night before. It needs to be in here too.

I forgot to mention yesterday that we saw tons of antelope. They were a very common occurrence. They are so quick that it is difficult to get a picture of one. In fact, I do not have any pictures of them. Sorry.

Woke up and all was good (Chuck’s pic).

Getting packed up in the morning.

Here is where we went:

We headed up Rock Creek toward Toe Jam Creek.

What is up there?

Lots of cool rock formations up here.

The road ahead! What fun!

The runoff was flowing so some of the crossings were a bit deep! I blew thru a pretty unexpected drop in the last crossing so I knew there would be some good pictures coming. I was lucky to make it through without a dump. I stopped on the other side and pulled out my camera. They both knew something was up when they saw me ready to record their mistakes! If you look carefully at the pictures, you can see where the water is running clear in the middle. That is where it was DEEP!

Here comes Chuck!

This will wake you up!

Not looking so good here. At least he was in the shallow water!

Help!! Chuck!! Help!!!!!!!

Insta Chuck to the rescue. Dan is saved.

We found a place where the road just went right into the river (Chuck’s pic).

After a little looking around, we found a go around and went around. We continued down the road for quite some time.

Unfortunately, we found another problem area. Dan noticed that the road and river ahead seemed to be headed into a rather narrow, steep walled canyon so at this point we decided to find an alternate route. The map seemed to confirm this too. It was a bummer because we were not too far from Tuscarora at this point. This caused us to do some serious backtracking to get fuel.

I consulted the maps and GPS and figured out a way to get us headed south. When we were in Midas, I had talked to a guy who told me there was gas in Dunpy down on I-80 so we headed in that direction.

While leading, I came across a deep ditch going a bit too fast and fell over. I ripped the rear strap out of my Wolfman Beta Bag. I also lost some of that precious fuel as my bike laid there on its side. I fixed up the bag with an extra strap.

An easier crossing.

We continued south thru more fantastic countryside. We rode some really rocky roads. We came across this ranch (Chuck’s pic).

We passed a huge substation and then found ourselves driving right thru the middle of an open mine on a small route marked “County Road” (Chuck’s pic).

Then it was another “Haul Road” forever to Dunpy. I caught a truck and tried to pass it but the driver was having none of that and swerved at me. What a prick!

We arrived in Dunpy to find nothing there. No gas station! No store! Not even a bar.

Shit now what do we do?

Chuck was already on reserve. I was getting low. We decided to head to Carlin. It was about 30 miles to Carlin and there was a 6089 foot pass on the way called Emigrant Pass. We hit the highway and hoped for the best.

Chuck ran out and had to pour in his 2 extra bottles of gas. I ran out of gas at the off ramp to Carlin and coasted down to a wide spot to pour in my extra gas bottle. After doing so, I found Chuck and Dan at the Texaco filling up. We went into the Subway and had some sandwiches and tried to figure out our next move. We decided to head north along Susie Creek. Dan bought a Magnum ice cream bar for each of us for dessert. MMHH! Ice Cream!

After filling up our CamelBaks again, we headed out.

We rode up Susie creek for a while but then ran into a gate that was posted “No Trespassing” by Maggie Creek Ranch. If you contact their ranch office, maybe they will give you permission to go thru? It is worth a shot.

Here is a shot of us backtracking after hitting the “No Trespassing” sign (Chuck’s pic).

I did some more map consulting and then we backtracked a few miles to another road that appeared to go where we wanted. It was hot so we decided to try to make camp a bit earlier so we could get our wet boots and socks dried out.

As we were zooming along this road, I came around a corner and noticed something moving quickly in an effort to get away from me. I realized it was a very big brown cat. It was amazing to watch it run as its tail swung around to keep it in balance. I just stopped my bike and watched it run off into the distance. I had never seen a cougar before. Unfortunately, no pictures. That guy was gone almost as fast as I could stop my bike. What a cool sight!

We stopped at an abandoned ranch house and took a break.

It was really hot. We decided it was definitely time to find a camp spot. Time for a look at the maps (Chuck’s pic)!

Again, Dan conjured up a vision of an ideal camp location in our vicinity. We followed his guidance to yet another sweet spot! We all stopped our bikes and were glad to be done for the day. We started unloading our gear and setting up camp.

Shit!

Mother F*^$%er!!

I heard some cursing. Dan realized that his bag with his tent was missing. At first he thought someone must have stolen it. I pointed out that the buckles on his Rock Straps were still clipped together. I could not imagine a thief would have taken the time to buckle the straps back up. He and Chuck jumped back on their bikes to backtrack and find the missing gear. I set up camp and took some pictures.

I think this picture is of the road on the way up to where we camped.

Only one tent now…

Another fantastic sunset!

After a while, I decided to see if I had 3G so I could look at Dan’s SPOT to see where they were at. I saw that they had back tracked all the way to the gate posted by Maggie Creek Ranch and appeared to be headed back. I made some calls to home and posted up on Facebook.

Finally they arrived back at camp victorious! They had found the gear. They had ridden pretty far and found most of his stuff on the return trip. Apparently it was hiding behind the grass in the middle of the road so they did not see it on the way out.

Dan jumped off his bike only to find his bag missing AGAIN!

He was really pissed as he headed back down the hill again. It did not take long this time to find it but the sun had already set and darkness was setting in. We all scrambled to get Chuck and Dan set up and then went to sleep.
Here is what our camp looked like once everyone had their tent up (Chuck’s pic).

So much for an early end to the day!

Good Night!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,142
Wow, nice creek crossing! Deep SOB! Good job on all of you getting across. Do you know what creek that was?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Wow, nice creek crossing! Deep SOB! Good job on all of you getting across. Do you know what creek that was?
I was all set to tell you that it was Rock Creek but after looking at my tracks and a map, I cannot be absolutely sure it was. It could have been one of the other creeks coming into Rock Creek. I am pretty sure it was Rock Creek tho. The part where the road disappears into the creek is Rock Creek.

I do not think this route would generally be a problem but we were up against the late and high runoff coming down all of the waterways. This would not be our last creek to cause us problems!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #25
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Damn, this is awesome....
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #26
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
Bold water crossings there! Deep and FLOWING!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #27
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I've been waitin

For this RR since the desert 100. Great start!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Great stuff.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Nice ride, thanks for sharing
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
HAULINDAVE
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 44
Great Rise Report !

Love that area ! Got to get back !
Been riding for over 45yrs , motocross , endures , road-racing . Always have at least a road bike and dualsport . True Adventure Rider . Always want to explore , see whats on the other side of the mountain or around the bend .

Adventure Rider !
HAULINDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote