DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
what a great thread
wonderful pictures... enjoyed the stories behind them, as well
thanks for sharing with us
+1... great write up Mike...or as I like to call him "MIKE-GYVER"!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #32
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANTDC View Post
+1... great write up Mike...or as I like to call him "MIKE-GYVER"!
Hey Dan,

We have not got to that part of the story yet...

Those shots of you in the river are quite dramatic! I forgot how close you came to taking a swim. In that last picture you are looking at me like you think I should be helping you rather than taking pictures! It is a good thing we had Insta-Chuck along. I actually had the thought that I should stop taking pictures and help you but then I realized you were in the shallow part and it was my job to continue shooting.

I will post some more tonight.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #33
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Hey Dan,

We have not got to that part of the story yet...

Those shots of you in the river are quite dramatic! I forgot how close you came to taking a swim. In that last picture you are looking at me like you think I should be helping you rather than taking pictures! It is a good thing we had Insta-Chuck along. I actually had the thought that I should stop taking pictures and help you but then I realized you were in the shallow part and it was my job to continue shooting.

I will post some more tonight.
Great job Mike! We make a good team or as Dan would put it, Wolf Pack. Did you get a new battery yet?

Chuck
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #34
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKSPANKER View Post
Great job Mike! We make a good team or as Dan would put it, Wolf Pack. Did you get a new battery yet?

Chuck
I don't know what you are talking about??!?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #35
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Getting Back On Route

Day 3 of 4 day loop

Map of the day.

Since Chuck and Dan had wandered all around looking for Dan’s missing camping gear, we had to return to Carlin again for fuel. We took down camp and got on our way. Dan and Chuck had the road to Carlin pretty well memorized by this point. We filled up with gas again and then scoured the place for breakfast. I filled up my Camelbak with water and ice at the pop machine. I must have accidentally squirted in some Lemonade because my water tasted a bit lemony for a couple days after that. I do not remember what they had for breakfast but I had ice tea and an ice cream (a Drumstick). It was hot already!

Back up the same road we go again! We were riding the same road for the 4th (at least for me) time so we were not stopping for many pictures.

We rode thru flowers!

Chuck’s pics

Consulting the map.

Staged shot.

On our way.

We came to a sink and I had trouble finding the trail. While wandering around trying to find it, I dropped my bike.

Meanwhile, Chuck and Dan found the route and were waiting for me on the other side.

We rode thru more flowers.

And over more hills.

Here we are getting closer to Maggie Creek. I stopped to wait for the others. This last part was a long descent down a very rocky road that had not had much use in recent times. You could only tell where the road was because you could see where a Cat had cut the grades in. There were no tracks. The road bed was all potato size or bigger round rocks with little earth to hold them together. There was not enough dirt for the grass to grow in so it made it easier to try to keep track of the road. Off in the distance, we could see an old ranch house that we seemed to be heading toward. It was a grueling ride down to this point but we could see the telltale green of Maggie Creek in front of us so we were all thinking of how refreshing the cool water would be.

Back to my pictures.

Waiting…

Here comes one. Who is it?

Someone is making their own route.

Looks like Dan was the cheater.

Dan looks happy and exhausted!

This is looking down the road the way we need to go. It is looking more developed now that we are closer to the cattle and water.

I like these clouds.

Chuck going for the flower shots.

The results (Chuck’s pics)

My flower shot.

More clouds.

I knew we were getting close the next road we needed to turn on. I also knew the road was on the other side of Maggie Creek and it looked like it might be pretty big as we were getting closer.

As we went thru the gate, my bike died and I knew it was not going to want to start. It seemed like the fan was drawing the battery down pretty quick.

We ended up across the creek from the road as I expected. It was pretty hot so we decided to soak our jerseys in the water to cool off.

As we were enjoying the water, we noticed a white flatbed Dodge truck with a 5th wheel horse trailer on the back coming up the road (across the creek). It stopped and pretty soon we saw a cowboy come walking over toward us. I realized he was probably coming to talk to us about something so I started over toward him. As I approached him, he said,” You probably do not know this but you are trespassing. In fact, you have been trespassing for about the last hour.” He was right. I did not know that. There were no signs, no gates, no nothing. He told me there was no way for me to tell. We had a nice conversation about the area. He was a very nice guy, as everyone we had met was, and told us to go ahead and cool off in the creek and then showed us the easiest way to cross it. We were trespassing on Maggie Creek Ranch land. That was the same ranch as the other signs we had seen that had turned us around the day before and sent us down this road.

After we cooled down a bit, I tried to start my bike and it would not start up. The battery decided it was time to die and would not crank the bike either. So, Dan and Chuck pushed me and got it started.

We headed across the creek, thru the gate and out onto a big gravel road toward the north. We were headed toward Owyhee. We rode north until we hit NV226.

There were some more wild horses on the way. I wish they would just wait a moment when they see you so you can take pictures of them. They are so beautiful.

Here are some pretty sorry shots of them.

At the highway there was road construction so we had to wait for a pilot car. It was hot!

Stopped at this sign for a moment.

We decided to stop at a small grocery store / restaurant near the turn to Tuscarora but unfortunately it was closed on whatever day it was that we were there. I think it was Tuesday. Anyway, no food.

So we thought we should try Tuscarora. Well, there is not much in Tuscarora. There was a post office so I decided to send my son a postcard. The postmaster was so nice that when I realized I had to go out to my bike to get some cash to pay for the postcard, she offered to pay for it out of her own pocket. As we were about to leave, she popped out of the door and asked if we were planning to stay in the area. We told her that we were planning to get outside of Owyhee that day. She said ok and to ride safe. I think she was going to invite us to have dinner. What nice people. I think almost everyone I talked to in Nevada told me to “Ride safe!” as I left.

Chuck took some more pictures of Tuscarora. Maybe he will post them.

I took some pictures of the graveyard in Tuscarora. It was an interesting place.

Leaving Tuscarora.

We were finally back on the route so we started following it again. It took us to the north of Tuscarora on some cool old roads. We eventually hit a gate marked No Trespassing so we headed over toward the highway again. It was a beautiful ride up into the hills.

The pavement ended and we took the 728 toward Owyhee. It was a nice big gravel road. There were some beautiful mountains to our east. Some of the road had just been graded so it was loose and DUSTY! We continued north up to Owyhee. Fantastic views the whole way! I was traveling at near WFO the whole time!

Upon arriving in Owyhee, we started cruising around town trying to find a gas station. I knew there was supposed to be one but we could not find it. We gave up and went into a place to eat.

Here is a picture of the place we ate at (Chuck’s pic).

Here is how they mow the grass at the school in Owyhee (Chuck’s pic). It is kind of hard to see but there is a horse there eating the grass.

I wish I could remember what the place was called because they fed us well and it did not cost much. It was a very small place and is across the street from the school. They did their cooking on a George Foreman grill! I had a chicken salad to try to make up for our steady diet of back town cheeseburgers and truck stop food. They told us the gas station was 3 miles north of Owyhee and is a 24hr pay at the pump station so we relaxed and ate up. That is some important info and bears repeating. The gas station in Owyhee is actually 3 miles north of town.

After dinner, we talked about if we were going to try to make it to Jarbidge, which was the original farthest point east that we wanted to reach. It had taken us 3 days to go where I had planned for us to be in 1 ˝. I was also concerned about the water crossings and snow we would be attempting to cross to get there. The latest information I had was that both roads from the south to access Jarbidge were washed out and closed. We also had some cool day trips planned for the second half of the week that we would be sacrificing if we pressed on to Jarbidge. We decided to head back for DJ.
We went up to the gas station and fueled up. Then we headed back south on the road we had come up on. There were a bunch of horses standing in the road as we were leaving Owyhee. By the time I had stopped, they were mostly off the road.

We headed west toward Paradise Valley. It was getting dark so we were looking for a campsite. No more pictures because we were whipped, dehydrated, and looking for a place to sleep.

The sun was low. We were riding straight into it with dusty goggles and long shadows on the road. It was bright and then totally dark the next second. The road was rutted. It had been graded while wet and then someone had driven up while it was still muddy creating some rusts.

At one point, I got my front tire hung up in a rut and went down pretty hard. It hurt and I could not pick my bike up before Dan and Chuck showed up. They picked up my bike. I pulled off my glove to find a nice bit of road rash on it. (It actually has just finally completely healed over.) I had also scraped up my shoulder a bit. They got a piece of gauze on my palm and taped it on with electrical tape.

We pressed on looking for a campsite. We ended up camping in the sagebrush. We let Chuck find the spot so it was not as nice as the previous nights but the sunset was sweet! I was sore that night and took some Naproxen.

Good Night! Finally!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #36
Blacknblue
"I'm outa' here."

Oddometer: 1,522
Wow.
Blacknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #37
mountainfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
excellent rr , keep it coming
mf
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #38
lowbudget
_twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer: 324
Nice trip! Thanks for sharing...
Kawasaki: KLR 600 - #1 1984; #2 1989
KTM EXC 250 2012
Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #39
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Loving THIS~~!!!!!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #40
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKSPANKER View Post

Chuck
Yeah Mike...BATTERY!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #41
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The Post Office at Tuscarora is listed to be closed for budget cuts this year, I hope they can make a case to keep it open, getting mail out would be a long drive to the next town.

It must have been one hell of an adventure to travel so far just to try your luck at mining in such a small town in the middle of nowhere back in the 1800's.
Some of the graves were only marked with stones and old pots.

DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #42
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4 - Heading back to DJ

Day 4
I found a tick in my tent first thing when I woke up. Them things freak me out. At least it had not found me yet! I pulverized it, which was pretty difficult. I actually squished it on my map holder that Velcros onto my tank bag so I left it on there for a few miles so I could admire it.

Speaking of maps, here is where we went on Day 4.

My hand was sore but did not bother me much if I was standing on the bike. My shoulder was turning purple and was aching but Dr. Dan said it was OK.

We kept following the route but were having a hard time finding the roads. At one point, we went thru a gate and then I attempted to follow the fence line toward where the road was supposed to be. I went down until there was a creek in my way and came back. When I got back thru the gate, Dan said “hey! There is some steam coming from your engine!”

I had hit a juniper bush and it tore one of the hoses on my engine. Now we had some trouble.

How are we going to fix this? (Chuck’s pic)

I sent Chuck for water with my Platypus gravity water filtration system to use to fill up the motor while I thought about how I was going to fix this hose. I tried to stretch it out by loosening the other end and pulling it as close to the edge of the fitting as possible but that was not going to work. Chuck came back and I asked him and Dan to go to a travel trailer that we could see from where we were to look for some kind of hose or tube. While they were gone, I started thinking about using some piece of my bike for a tube to extend the hose. I tried the passenger footpeg but it was not hollow once I removed it from the bike. They returned and I started asking them about what they had on their bikes. I was looking over their bikes like a starving animal might look over its next meal. Dan pulled out his tool kit and there was what I needed.

Modifying Dan’s DRZ 400 spark plug wrench (Chuck’s pic).

The stock DRZ spark plug wrench was made from 2 tubes held together with a pin. I took apart his wrench, cut the hose in half, and put the spark plug wrench in between the two pieces of hose. Dan had one hose clamp so we used it and a bit of twisted haywire to seal the extra connections.

We filled it with water, purged the air from the radiators and ran it up to temp. (Chuck’s pic)

Just as we were picking up the tools, I realized that I had forgotten to take the little rubber piece from inside the spark plug socket so I took it all apart again and took that little bugger out (Chuck’s pic).

We filled the cooling system back up, purged it, and ran the engine to temp again. No leaks! Hooray!

Finished repair pic.

It is actually still like this. I ordered another hose once I got home but according to the stealer, the box was damaged in transit so the shipper threw everything away. They reordered it and it has not come yet. I think it has been about a month. Typical stealership! In the meantime, I did another dualsport ride over to Eastern WA and back and still no leaks!
Here is my bike just before we took off again. This is the good side.

The other side is missing a turn signal, has some holes in my Wolfman Beta Bag, and has some damage to my hand guard thingies. This is the damage from last night’s crash. It is officially a crash now and not a fall or spill (Chuck’s pics)!

Here is the world class medic work that I received to the wound on my wrist from Dr. Dan. That is Doctor Dan. (Chuck’s pic)

We are headed west!

We cleaned up and went back to trying to find the road. I accidentally missed an intersection and rode a cattle trail for a bit thinking it would turn into the road. Then, I found a small narrow wash was in my path. I slammed on the brakes, killing the bike and slid the front wheel into the hole. I twisted the bike so it was parallel to the ditch and tried to start it up. No love. Had to get another push start from Dan and Chuck. They had to push the bike out of the ditch and then get it up to speed while I got it started. The bike fired back up and I was on my way. We decided to head for a more traveled road after wandering around for a bit more. We came across this.

Chuck’s pics of the building.

We continued on in the direction of Paradise Valley. We came down a hill and found the creek had diverted itself into a new channel. Unfortunately, it was a bit muckier than we expected and we had some fun getting our bikes thru it. Here is the aftermath.

This looked like no big deal but it was very mucky! If we would have been a bit smarter, we would have walked up the road a bit and carried some of the big rocks that someone used to fix the next crossing over to throw in the hole so we could just drive thru. But we like to work hard and get muddy! (Actually, I did not think of that until I got back to DJ but I thought someone else might want the idea for later. Just remember where you got it and the one about the spark plug wrench hose repair!)

The road crossed a huge plateau that had some sinks in it for watering the wildlife. Some of them were kind of like roundabouts. There were a lot of antelope on the plateau. I had a herd of them cross my path running at full tilt in formation. They were very cool to see. There was a lone antelope that decided to race me so I hit the gas. It kept running alongside me and then would cross right in front of me. It did that several times before getting tired of the game and running off into the distance. It is amazing how fast those things can go! I was moving!

The road then descended into a beautiful canyon.

Wow! Isn’t this some cool stuff? I guess Mike actually knows where he is going. I was wondering about him earlier!

More cool views (Chuck’s pics).

I was a bit worried because I knew we would have a water crossing coming up and I had no idea how big it was. We eventually found it and it was pretty big.

Here is the creek.

I took off my boots and pants and waded across. It was pretty deep and swift. We could probably have ridden across it but we had all had enough drama for the day, so we all took off our boots and pants and walked each bike across with all three of us holding onto it. We had no trouble and were really happy about that.

Here is Chuck wandering across.

Dan getting ready to wade across.

Dan after ferrying his boots across.

Bikes on wrong side of the creek.

Chuck feeling a little positive about us making it across without issues.

No more bikes on wrong side of the creek.

Bikes on right side of the creek

The water felt so good that we had to do some soaking in it. After that, we loaded up and headed out. The road got bigger as we passed by Chimney Dam Reservoir. From there it was all just a big gravel road back to NV 280. We had heard that Hinkey Pass was not passable yet so drove around south toward the US95 and NV280 junction. We needed gas and were hoping we could get some in Oravada. We were pleasantly surprised to find a Chevron station at the US 95 & NV 280 junction. We filled up with gas and went in for a meal of ice cream bars, soda pop, and whatever else we could find in the place. We made calls and checked in with society.

I called Denio Junction and made sure that they knew we were coming back to our room that evening. Bobby told me that the kitchen was going to close at 7pm and that I should call him back by 6:30 if I wanted to have him cook something up for us for dinner. He said they would keep it in the warmer for us. I told him that I would call him back if we decided to do that.

Once we were all cooled down, we jumped on our bikes and hit the slab for Denio Junction. That was a grueling ride. The road was very long and very straight. It was a very hot day. The sun was really beating down on us. We were all pretty worn out. There were thunderstorms growing in our path and it looked like we might have some weather to ride thru.

We stopped at about 6:15 and I asked Chuck and Dan if they wanted me to call in an order for dinner for them. We all decided we had eaten enough junk at the gas station so we did not bother.

We hit the long boring straight highway again and rode until we were finally at DJ. It felt so good to get off the bike after all that highway riding. I was very stiff.

We got off our bikes and headed into the bar to get our room key. Dan sat down at the bar for a beer so I sat down next to him and asked Bobby for a Pepsi. The next thing I know, Dan and I each have burgers and fries sitting in front of us. Chuck walked in and sat down and suddenly he had a burger too. I was so surprised. I was pretty worn down from the last 4 days of riding and the last long stretch of boring pavement and I could not believe that there was food sitting in front of me. This was just another example of the fantastic treatment we received from the folks at Denio Junction. It was the perfect thing to happen at that moment. So we ate our burgers, enjoyed some cold beverages, and chilled.

Bobby handed me the room key so we moved into our trip headquarters, Room 2. While we were trying to decide who should get the first shower, a gnarly dust storm blew into DJ. Check it out!

The locals said they had seen nothing like it. It was intense and blew down some small trees and some big limbs.
According to my GPS we had ridden 719 miles in our loop. It was fantastic. I cannot wait to do it again. Maybe next time we can stay on the route!

We still had 3 more days to do loop rides out of DJ. We wussed out and decided to stay in our room at DJ rather than moving and camping out at Bog Hot. We also decided to sleep in the next day and do an easy loop up to find the bomber crash site and have a soak at Bog Hot.

Clean, fed and happy! (Chuck’s pics)

Room 2 had a roll around bed so I did not have to sleep in my van. Unfortunately it was messed up and did not sit flat but lower in the middle than the ends. Somone had taken off the casters from the middle section. We all had a good laugh about the Taco Bed! I think we were just a bit tired…(Chuck’s pic)

I threw the mattress on the floor and crashed out. Time for some rest! In a bed!!

Good night!!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #43
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

Deep water and smart fellas!

Dust storm - WOW !

Great trip !

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #44
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
wait. back to the blue wind car thing. wtf was it? a car w/ a sail?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #45
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Sweet RR! My bike is getting itchy right now! Lets Go! I need to Head South!!
I don't really need to work the rest of the week (or the weekend!)

Subscribed and wanting tracks! (the 640's hungry!)

p.s. - Nice pics! what are you using for a camera?

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV

Tall Mike screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 02:26 AM Reason: p.s.
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote