Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #46
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
wait. back to the blue wind car thing. wtf was it? a car w/ a sail?
You know, I do not know much about it. It came out of nowhere and just drove right past us with a quick wave of the driver. It had an engine in it and lots of seats. When I first saw it, my brain was trying to figure out just exactly what it was. At first glance (and at a distance), I thought it was a truck pulling a big trailer with 3 huge tall water tanks on it. It took a few seconds to get the camera up so it got a lot closer. From there, I was just shooting pics at it on full auto as it rolled by so I did not really see any details then.

Once we returned to DJ, I was showing the pictures to Bobby, the owner of the bar / store / gas station / motel / RV park and he told me that he knows the guy who owns it and that guy is planning to drive it to San Fransisco.

I cannot tell you much more about it.

Here is another pic that I did not use in the report.

I sent a link of the Ride Report to Bobby and Maria so maybe they will comment about it.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #47
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Mike View Post
Sweet RR! My bike is getting itchy right now! Lets Go! I need to Head South!!
I don't really need to work the rest of the week (or the weekend!)

Subscribed and wanting tracks! (the 640's hungry!)

p.s. - Nice pics! what are you using for a camera?
Quote:
Sweet RR! My bike is getting itchy right now! Lets Go! I need to Head South!!
I don't really need to work the rest of the week (or the weekend!)

Subscribed and wanting tracks! (the 640's hungry!)

p.s. - Nice pics! what are you using for a camera?
Thanks for the words of encouragement. These comments really keep the report going.

About the tracks...

I meant to bring this up earlier but got all into writing the report.

Out of respect to the land, the people of Nevada and Oregon and my BDS brothers, I am not going to share the tracks. Actually Dan, Chuck and I decided this together while we were doing the ride. I will share the gas waypoints and some of the other waypoints I accumulated (hot springs, etc.). I will take care of this after the RR is all up (unless someone is leaving on a trip right away). Send me a PM about it then if you would like them. It is nice to know where to get gas! That really controlled where we could go. I am getting ready for a trail ride at Gifford Pinchot National Forest this weekend and do not have much spare time.

If you get a map (I used the Nevada Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas, the Nevada Benchmark Road Map, and the Oregon Hunt Maps available from Harney County Courthouse) and follow the clues in the RR, you can pretty much figure out exactly where we went. I did a ton of research and mostly just picked some roads on the map and tried them out. I spent a lot of time holding a map in my hand and reading ride reports. You can find clues in the reports to help you figure out which road they are on. A good portion of the ride was off the route I had created and I was just basically winging it by looking in the Atlas and just going down the small road toward where we wanted to go. I think the area deserves to be explored and not just ridden. That is part of the reason that I like to ride off road and also what made this ride more fun. I think this is the kind of terrain where you need to have studied maps before you tackle it rather than just follow someone else's trail blindly. I hope this all makes sense.

About the camera...

I have a Nikon D-50 Digital SLR. I am using the Nikkor 18-55 AF VR lens. The lens is pretty cheap so I am not so concerned about dust. I bought the camera used from a buddy that used it to take awesome pics so I knew it would do the trick. I just wish I had more time to do some photo processing (cropping, etc.). That would make the pictures even better.

Have fun out there!

MasterMarine screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 07:07 AM Reason: Stupid thing posted before I was done!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #48
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

I will try to post the first day loop tonight but as mentioned in the last response, I am trying to get ready for a crazy trail ride this weekend so time is limited.

Thanks for following so far. Writing this report really has me excited for a return trip. Day 4 sure would have been cooler if we had done Hinkey Pass rather than all that boring gravel and highway!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #49
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I will try to post the first day loop tonight but as mentioned in the last response, I am trying to get ready for a crazy trail ride this weekend so time is limited.

Thanks for following so far. Writing this report really has me excited for a return trip. Day 4 sure would have been cooler if we had done Hinkey Pass rather than all that boring gravel and highway!
That was long day but worth every second, like I said before we make a good team and before this ride we had never ventured out without a guide who knew area.
Mike did a great job with his research and routing for his first time (Way to go Mike!!) but I wished we took pics of the bikes stuck in the mud that was the deepest hole we crossed that week, with out the rope we had I'm not sure if we could have got Dan's bike out. I was glad we made it back to DJ before dark and before that dust storm, with all are gear on our bikes it could been real ugly.

We tried to stay on Mikes route most of the time with a last min re-route that became as good as the original and sometimes even better but on the 2nd Day I do remember Dr Dan having a major breakdown, Getting off and Hiding behind his bike after the 3rd or 4th large Rock creek water crossing and getting into the fetal position rocking back and forth crying (no-more no-more water crossings )

(Mike) Dan I will buy you an Ice cream if you just cross one more time........Dan!......Dan...Hello...OK Dan I will find another route with out a water crossing.

(Dr Dan) Sniff Sniff .......thanks Mike...sniff.

OK the part about Dr Dan having a breakdown was BS.

See you at GPNF Mike.

Chuck

DUCKSPANKER screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 01:03 PM
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #50
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Great Ride Report!! Great Pics as well!!
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #51
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,254
Good thing he wasn't in Denio Junction when the wind hit or he would have been laying on his side.

Quote:
If you get a map (I used the Nevada Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas, the Nevada Benchmark Road Map, and the Oregon Hunt Maps available from Harney County Courthouse) and follow the clues in the RR, you can pretty much figure out exactly where we went. I did a ton of research and mostly just picked some roads on the map and tried them out. I spent a lot of time holding a map in my hand and reading ride reports. You can find clues in the reports to help you figure out which road they are on. A good portion of the ride was off the route I had created and I was just basically winging it by looking in the Atlas and just going down the small road toward where we wanted to go. I think the area deserves to be explored and not just ridden. That is part of the reason that I like to ride off road and also what made this ride more fun. I think this is the kind of terrain where you need to have studied maps before you tackle it rather than just follow someone else's trail blindly. I hope this all makes sense.
I concur 100%. I don't use a GPS so I have an out when people ask for tracks.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #52
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
MasterMarine said:
Quote:
Out of respect to the land, the people of Nevada and Oregon and my BDS brothers, I am not going to share the tracks. Actually Dan, Chuck and I decided this together while we were doing the ride. I will share the gas waypoints and some of the other waypoints I accumulated (hot springs, etc.). I will take care of this after the RR is all up
I respect that! I was planning to do the OBCDR? sometime and thought I might tweek those tracks in favor of good camping, scenic vistas, gas and water crossings.

MasterMarine said:
Quote:
I think the area deserves to be explored and not just ridden. That is part of the reason that I like to ride off road and also what made this ride more fun. I think this is the kind of terrain where you need to have studied maps before you tackle it rather than just follow someone else's trail blindly. I hope this all makes sense.
Amen! I have looked at maps before doing route planning, and when you get out on the ground...."well that dog don't hunt!" ....out of respect to the ground and safety for body and machine....detour!

Your pictures suggest a really nice route. will keep reading, reading my maps and gazeteers and track tweeking! Thanks for the great RR! cheers!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #53
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Amen! I have looked at maps before doing route planning, and when you get out on the ground...."well that dog don't hunt!" ....out of respect to the ground and safety for body and machine....detour!

Your pictures suggest a really nice route. will keep reading, reading my maps and gazeteers and track tweeking! Thanks for the great RR! cheers!
If you or anyone else have questions about where we were or where a cool spot was or where a gate was, ask away!

I do not want to try to hide information. I just want to encourage exploration both in person and at the library. I guess I want to encourage others to discover things for themselves rather than try to follow a line. Plus, this territory is so big and potentially dangerous that it is a good idea for a person to have studied it a bit. It really does not matter which road you are on. It is all beautiful country!

This was an exploratory trip for us. I will refine what I have learned on it to use for the next one. This goes for everything from the planned route to sleeping bag to stove to camera techniques to choices of riding partners . I have some new ideas to try next time.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #54
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 705
Thumb

Bravo Mike! Well done to all of you. Documenting a ride with pics is lotsa work. Especially during stressful situations. And riding buddies aren't always patient (until they see the after-ride fotos).

Not sure I can make GPNF this weekend - have fun!

- Dorian

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #55
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Good report!! Thanks
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #56
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

There is still more to come.

It will have to wait for a few days while I go trail riding. Priorities!

Dorian,

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure if we took anywhere near enough pictures to "document" the ride but we sure had a good time. I finally sent in my sign up sheet for your ride. I hope there is still room. I hope it works out for you to come to Gifford.

redpillar,

Thanks! It is a beautiful place to visit. Even when we were not where we wanted to be it was still fantastic. Every time we crested a hill, there was some new wonderful sight to see.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #57
Lima Tango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Awesome...

RR and beautiful photos. Thanks for taking the time to post and share your adventure!
LT
Lima Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #58
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Superb report so far... Those dust storms are no joke! Awesome pictures. I like the nice little rainbow in the upper left corner amid the chaos of the dust cloud. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #59
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finding the infamous B-24 bomber!

Day 5

B-24 Bomber Crash Site

We were feeling lazy after the big loop so decided to sleep in a bit and have some breakfast before heading out. It was a nice easy morning. We wanted to rest up because the next day would be a big long day of riding down to the Black Rock Desert.

We headed out from DJ toward Bog Hot. We rode over and took a look at the hot springs and camping areas. It looked good so we decided to come back for a soak later. We headed up the road toward the crash site. It was pretty rough. I got to the top of a grade and waited for Dan and Chuck. After quite a while, Dan showed up.

He told me Chuck had been down and tore off his license plate. Chuck arrived and showed me the damage. No big deal!

They had also been taking pictures of some burros.(Chuck’s pics)

We headed up. I had a fall while climbing a loose steep hill just before the gate. My brake lever was bent nicely. (Chuck’s pic)

Dan straightened it out for me. I think I broke off another turn signal there but that might have happened in my other crash over by Owyhee.

Anyway, we headed on. The gate was open and laying in the road so we cruised right by. From there the road was not bad at all. There were a few gates to go thru with lots of cows. We met some folks on ATVs who were looking at one of the hills with binoculars so I stopped to ask them what they were looking at. They were looking for sheep but had not seen any. We chatted a bit and they asked where we were headed. We told them we were looking for the crash site. They did not know anything about it so decided to follow us up.

Getting closer.

We headed up the road and wandered around a bit trying to find the site.

This is one of the spots where we were did not find it.

Dan and I discussing where the bomber might be. (Chuck’s pic)

I was starting to wonder if we would ever find it.

Chuck was taking pictures of the amazing views!

I finally found it!!!

Here is the view approaching it.

Chuck and Dan arrive.

The ATV riders arrive.

We took a lot of pictures. It was a beautiful day and a humbling place to visit. I was kind of caught up in emotion as I was thinking a lot of one of my friends who had been killed on October 26 of 2009 while flying a Chinook for the 160th SOAR in Afghanistan. The thing that I kept thinking about was how there were pieces of this plane and its occupants spread out all over the place right here on this mountainside in Oregon and how there is a similar crash site somewhere in Afghanistan where a MH-47 and the 10 soldiers’ remains were scattered in a similar fashion. It was pretty heavy. I wonder if someday I will be able to visit the crash site in Afghanistan?

I had brought a flag up with me and I put it on one of the engines.

I reminded my friend, Niall that I was thinking of him. I think he was happy to hear that the man he hunted for so long had been dispatched. Many years ago, when I was living in AZ, Niall came to visit me and showed me a site called ArmyAirCrews.com. It is a site that “is dedicated to the soldiers and families of the United States Army's Aviation Branch who have paid the ultimate price for freedom and liberties enjoyed today by all Americans.” It is ironic that in the early days after the crash, I rediscovered the site with his name on it.

Enough of that! Here are a bunch of pictures of the B-24 crash site. It is a photogenic place.

Self Portrait.

Dan with tool (or maybe tool with Dan?)

ATVs headed out.

Getting ready to leave.

Dewayne is ready to get back on the trail.

Final shot of the site. Time to get going.

After some time, we decided it was time to head down.

We headed back down the road. On the way, we met some of the folks from DJ on their way up on ATVs.

On the way down.

Chuck enjoying the ride.

The Oregon / Nevada border marker.

We tried to take the same route back to Bog Hot but found that the gate had been closed up while we were away.

Whoever had closed it was not interested in having anyone going thru there. It was not locked but they used a lot of wire to tie it shut. We decided to just go the other way down toward DJ.

We found some more burros.

We rode pavement to Bog Hot and had a soak. After a bit, Dan noticed something wiggling over in the pile of rocks that formed a dam around the upstream end of the pool we were in. We found out it was some type of dead rodent. ICKKK!!!! We moved into a pool upstream. After the soak, we headed back to DJ for some more burgers. We were happy to have beds to sleep on inside of fabulous Room 2!

More fun starts tomorrow!

Good Night!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #60
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Awesome. I hope your flag stays there for years...
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote