ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #31
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
I ordered and installed the Weld86 skid plate and sidestand beefer upper thingy. The skid plate is awesome! The side stand gizmo looks like it will do a pretty good job of transferring forces to the frame should any be applied to the sidestand.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
I don't use the peg to mount on the bike since I'm more tall than enough and never let the stand to support my whole weight when I'm on the bike so no extra strong bracket needed. Black Dog wins this one...
I'm tall enough also and always mount and unmount the bike using the peg, when possible. It's just so much more convenient than trying to kick your leg over(ATGATT) especially when you have a mountain of stuff strapped to the rear.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
I'd be happy with such an outcome (minus the hip and elbow discomfort) from a slide like the one you described....Little did I know...therefore bankruptcy time...

It should cost under $100 for a competent welder to repair a "common" case crack from the sidestand. That or 10 minutes and some $7 epoxy and the relo kit.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #34
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Not sure if this would work on a adv, but I would think it would.

Previous owner made a custom lower mount out of steel, and used a pro-moto billet 450 KTM kickstand.
Directions: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/s...d_promoto.html

Don't mind the gorilla tape haha, my sidestand is getting a little loose and folds up to much now and was hitting the muffler. It didn't used to I need to do some work to it.

As for the wiring, that crap is all bypassed/disabled on my bike.

KTM450SX screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 10:51 AM
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #35
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Not sure if this would work on a adv, but I would think it would.

Previous owner made a custom lower mount out of steel, and used a pro-moto billet 450 KTM kickstand.
Directions: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/s...d_promoto.html

Don't mind the gorilla tape haha, my sidestand is getting a little loose and folds up to much now and was hitting the muffler. It didn't used to I need to do some work to it.

As for the wiring, that crap is all bypassed/disabled on my bike.

I inquiring about this in an earlier thread, and it turns out that mod does not fit the Adventure.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #36
Deviant666 OP
Present

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
I'm tall enough also and always mount and unmount the bike using the peg, when possible. It's just so much more convenient than trying to kick your leg over(ATGATT) especially when you have a mountain of stuff strapped to the rear.
You don't understand, I'm 6'10" I throw that leg over panniers, bags or anything you can add above them....
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #37
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I inquiring about this in an earlier thread, and it turns out that mod does not fit the Adventure.
Bummer.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
A perfect day in Colorado. My buddy (lets just call him: El Bunny Slayer) on a brand new SE with less than 70 miles on it. What could possibly go wrong, eh?

A few miles later:

Thank the stars for a chunk of JB Weld:

Made it out of a REALLY bad location to break down.

BTW: Although he had a temporary JB Weld job (a better one than the original) for a long time, he did get a welder to come to his house and weld the crack propperly for MUCH less than tearing the engine appart and replacing the case.

Moral of the story: Yes, it's a poor desing - and, no, KTM ain't ever gonna admit it. Too bad! No bike is perfect, but at least we already know this possible failure point and have ways of preventing it.

I've got the BDCW relocator and I sleep better knowing that at least this particular issue isn't going to come back to bite me in the ass.

Is it beer time yet?

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #39
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
You don't understand, I'm 6'10" I throw that leg over panniers, bags or anything you can add above them....
Well, I am too and I have a '10 R and too many times ended up kicking what ever is on the bike. Mounting the bike using the peg is much more comfortable than doing acrobatics to mount a fully laden bike. You just step on the bike. No need to throw your leg or anything else over it.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #40
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
The fall was quite nasty at about 80mph...
Quote:
It was my procrastinating nature that brought this upon my head.
Sorry it happened, but sometimes these things do. Your quotes from above pretty much tell the tale however. You knew better, just as Aurel did, and chose to take the risk. It was a calculated risk that should have ended in your favor, but you also shouldn't have hit oil and crashed.

If the engine cases were cracking from normal on-road use it would be a different story, but an on-road crash or an off-road rock or stump is not the manufacturers fault,

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #41
Deviant666 OP
Present

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Sorry it happened, but sometimes these things do. Your quotes from above pretty much tell the tale however. You knew better, just as Aurel did, and chose to take the risk. It was a calculated risk that should have ended in your favor, but you also shouldn't have hit oil and crashed.

If the engine cases were cracking from normal on-road use it would be a different story, but an on-road crash or an off-road rock or stump is not the manufacturers fault,
Hmmm, so you propose that it's normal for a bike that lowsides (not tumbling over or anything) on its crashbars and sliding for about 50-60 yards on glass-like tarmac (never hitting anything-I picked her up while on centre lane) to crack the engine case?
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #42
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Hmmm, so you propose that it's normal for a bike that lowsides (not tumbling over or anything) on its crashbars and sliding for about 50-60 yards on glass-like tarmac (never hitting anything-I picked her up while on centre lane) to crack the engine case?
I see your point about the the way in which KTM chose to mount the sidestand-- it's a poor design that the factory put little apparent thought or R&D into. However, to suggest that there is a "normal" in the circumstances described above is at least a little unrealistic.

And please understand, I'm not trying to rub salt in a wound, I'm just trying to provide a little perspective.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #43
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,961
Three pages of this whining crap? Fer Christ sakes, man up a little!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #44
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
With the resent side stand case issues I spent an afternoon laying on my garage floor looking at the side stand on my KTM, my originally idea was similar to an inmate’s by bolting on to the centre stand mount and foot peg, never made it.

A few things that struck me whilst pondering why the cases are busting, I think it’s reasonable to assume constant pressure flexing the mounting points will weaken the ally in the case, as it is not that flexible. I mean putting excessive force through the side stand, when mounting, luggage plus mounting and breaking beads, normal life. When I get on my SE I put no pressure on the side stand at all because of the case issue but I imaging that would be very different if I wasn’t as tall.

First thing I notice, 45nm is in my opinion is too tight for the M10 bolts, that’s putting a lot of tension on the mounting points due to the side stand triangle bracket (the cast ally block that bolts to the case and the side stand attaches to). Mine are now about 25nm.

Secondly the side stand triangle bracket isn’t perfectly machined and aligned; I measured a .75mm difference between the holes on the bracket and the taped holes on the case. There is quite a bit of tolerance enabling movement to align everything up.

Thirdly the M10 long bolt that goes through the case and frame, the shoulder of the bolt sits below the side stand triangle bracket, so it actually sits on the threads.

So I’ve started making a cross between the BD and weld bracket. I looked at using ally 6068 H30, while strong and easy to work with, its not as flexible and tuff as steel, also it’s expensive. Compared to the overall weight of the side stand assembly it isn’t saving much compared to steel, also steel is mend-able, if it bends in a crash you can hammer it back, if you want weld it to the frame. I might go down the stainless route after the two plates I’m having precision cut come back. Not something you can not do with a hand drill which is all I have at home.
Name:  card.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  132.9 KB

Card template, as I don’t have a touratech skid plate on my SE I’ll be using the M8 as well.

charlie264 screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 10:32 AM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #45
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Next template 10mm thick pvc, looked and fitted perfect, Should have left it on the bike but I don’t think it would be quite strong enough.
Name:  pvc.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  128.6 KB