ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Prentice Cooper this Weekend?

I've been wanting to see this place for years. It's about 125 miles from here so I don't want to get there and the roads be closed.

Was thinking of doing a long-ish day trip up on the 950SE either Saturday or Sunday.

Anybody know if there's any issues with getting around in there at this time? Or better yet is anybody riding there this weekend?
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,334
Wish I could go with you....

I've only been there once in the winter and they had closed the roads a week earlier than they said they would.

The local guys here say it pretty open and fast.....should be a good run.

Make sure you check out the overlooks and post up a RR.

Here's a map if you need it . . . .

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/public...y/PCSF_map.pdf
__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Wish I could go with you....

I've only been there once in the winter and they had closed the roads a week earlier than they said they would.

The local guys here say it pretty open and fast.....should be a good run.

Make sure you check out the overlooks and post up a RR.

Here's a map if you need it . . . .

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/public...y/PCSF_map.pdf
Thanks! Great map!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,334
No prob.....maybe this one is easier to read:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/wmap...e%20Forest.pdf

That url is old, surprised it still works. might want to save the file
__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos
 
ABHooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,114
I would be up for riding on Sunday, if you let me know a meetup time and place.

Sometimes they close part of the WMA for nesting turkeys in summer-I hate nesting turkeys. The other excuse is habitat improvement. Not sure the current status.
__________________
"I tried to move my mind there and nowhere else and imagine a single detail that, if I didn't see it that weekend, I never would... The world is easily lost."
James Dickey
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
I would be up for riding on Sunday, if you let me know a meetup time and place.

Sometimes they close part of the WMA for nesting turkeys in summer-I hate nesting turkeys. The other excuse is habitat improvement. Not sure the current status.
Sounds good... We could probably be up there 9:30-ish (EDT) if we leave here at first light Sunday.

Looking at the maps, for us the best place to enter would be Haley Road at Hwy 27, since we'll be coming from the west. Is that a good meeting place for you?

FYI, I'll be on a nine-fifty and my buddy will be on a KLR. We aren't looking to do anything hard core on these bikes, but mainly wanted to do a scouting trip to see what's there. Our general plan was to go Haley Road up to the main North/South road, explore the top on gravel roads, then down Suck Creek Road (27?) to River Canyon Road and head back south and west along the river. Since we haven't seen any of it, that sounded like an easy plan.

If we have someone familiar with the area that is even better, if you don't mind showing us around.

So, is 9:30 at the turn for Haley Road a good time/place for you?

David
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl
 
SquirrelyGrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
Oddometer: 888
Ooooo, GSBS you'll like Prentice :p I might show up on Sunday and join in
__________________
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" SuckerPunch
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
Ooooo, GSBS you'll like Prentice :p I might show up on Sunday and join in
Great! Hope you can make it.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos
 
ABHooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,114
I'll be waiting for you there, base of the mountain on Hwy 27. Haley Rd is a pretty ride up the mountain.

River Canyon Rd is also a pretty ride, stays right beside the river for 30 miles or so, one lane pavement. Used to be called Mullens Cove Rd, but the yuppies are taking over down there now.

I'm not a hardcore guy, so I might ride too slow for you, but at any rate, see ya then. Sending a PM with my phone number if there's a problem en route.

Brent
__________________
"I tried to move my mind there and nowhere else and imagine a single detail that, if I didn't see it that weekend, I never would... The world is easily lost."
James Dickey
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
I'll be waiting for you there, base of the mountain on Hwy 27. Haley Rd is a pretty ride up the mountain.

River Canyon Rd is also a pretty ride, stays right beside the river for 30 miles or so, one lane pavement. Used to be called Mullens Cove Rd, but the yuppies are taking over down there now.

I'm not a hardcore guy, so I might ride too slow for you, but at any rate, see ya then. Sending a PM with my phone number if there's a problem en route.

Brent
Just saw your PM and send my phone info back.

Looking forward to finally riding this area! Thanks for showing us around!

David
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
GaM
Beastly Adventurer
 
GaM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Oddometer: 1,877
I swear I'm going to be riding again soon GSBS. I have the valves adjusted, coolant and spark plugs changed on the wee strom, still have to change brake fluid, chain and sprockets and I haven't even started on the klx. Dang these things are lot of work.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
I swear I'm going to be riding again soon GSBS. I have the valves adjusted, coolant and spark plugs changed on the wee strom, still have to change brake fluid, chain and sprockets and I haven't even started on the klx. Dang these things are lot of work.
You should buy and orange bike! If ya had a KTM you'd appreciate maintaining your KLX and 'Strom.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Had a blast...

...on my first time to finally see Prentice Cooper today. We went up the mountain from 27 on Haley Road then took the main gravel road to the south at the top and checked out some overlooks, then back on Mullens Cove/River Canyon Road back to 27. It was FANTASTIC! Left home at 5:15 and got back around 3. Did about 310 miles total.

Video sampler of the day:


A nice view from up top at Snooper's Rock:


More photos from today here.

Sincere thanks Brent and Mike and Paul for showing us around this beautiful area!

Was good to see Dredman (Man... he can ride that 'Strom!)

GSBS screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 05:04 AM Reason: add embedded video
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl
 
SquirrelyGrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
Oddometer: 888
Hey GSBS! I wish I coulda been there for the ride. I wasn't feeling too good this morning. I really wanted to go, but I'd have been a party pooper. Brent and Mike know that area really well and are fun for sure!
__________________
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" SuckerPunch
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
GSBS OP
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
Hey GSBS! I wish I coulda been there for the ride. I wasn't feeling too good this morning. I really wanted to go, but I'd have been a party pooper. Brent and Mike know that area really well and are fun for sure!
Sorry to have missed you today... Was a fun day for me!

Hope you're feeling better soon.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014