ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Trip To VA Beach

In June I took a solo trip (1000+ miles RT) with my 1983 Kawasaki 750-LTD.

Tomorrow after church 4 of us are taking an 800 mile (RT) to Virginia Beach. This will be my first group trip (I only started riding last July), and this time I am taking my 1985 Honda Shadow 1100.

I will post some pics of our trip when we return (Wednesday or Thursday).
yo_rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
God bless, and keep the rubber side down!

Bring rain gear, and some A/C if possible......

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,176
Don't know which way you are headed in but I hope it's not North/South..... You will fall into the Outer Banks (and some Va Beach) traffic coming from the North...and Northerners returning from their weeks stay heading back..
Have fun on the hot, flat slab... Rt 13 will be the worse...I-64 will be its usual parking lot near the Tunnel..
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Have a safe trip and will be looking forward to some beach pic's!
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

We are coming in from the great state of West Virginia, and so our journey will be mostly north-east to south-west.

It is not about the beach, but the ride. We needed a destination and Virginia Beach won out.

We are leaving Sunday around 1:00 and will spend the night half-way, and then roll into Virginia Beach on Monday afternoon. We will then pull out of Virginia Beach sometime Tuesday afternoon and ride halfway back, and then finish up on Wednesday morning.

We are really hoping to hit some awesome roads between here and there. We are avoiding the Interstates except one or two short stints around a couple of the larger cities.

Thanks again for your comments!

Dave (Rocky)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

You may want to consider Rt 5 from Richmond to Williamsburg, then get on the ferry in Williamsburg (it is free) and cross the James River - this way you will avoid the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Once off the ferry, follow 10, then you will have several options on how to get to beautiful VaBeach!

If interested, I can introduce you to the world's best chicken wings Monday night.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.

TheWorstKind screwed with this post 08-06-2011 at 04:07 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
If interested, I can introduce you to the world's best chicken wings Monday night.

Absolutely!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
troutwhisperer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Head down to Sandbridge for the day, which is about 10 miles South of VA Beach, to avoid the crowds.

troutwhisperer screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 10:08 AM
troutwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Stopped for the night in Fredricksburg, VA. The first hour of our trip was miserable rain. The rest has been beautiful weather.

Rt 50 in West Virginia is a great bike road! That will be a recurring day trip for me in the future.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Enjoyed the fine company for dinner! Have a safe journey home.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What a pleasure for the three of us to share dinner with an ADV Inmate! Thank you for your kindness and the wonderful meal / conversation. We will return the favor when you roll into Morgantown, WV.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Roy, Steve and I had been planning this short trip to VA BEach since the Spring. It has now come and gone, and here is the record.

Roy was riding his Yamaha Raider, Steve was riding his Suzuki Marauder, and I was on my '85 Honda Shadow (1100)

I left the house with the bike all packed and ready to go, and as I started down the driveway it started to rain. I should have stopped and put on my rain gear, but decided to just get wet instead of the hassle of getting to the rain suit.
I rode 12 miles in the rain and ran out of gas. The odometer indicated that I should still have gas, but then I remembered that I had underfilled the last time I got gas.
Thankfully, my wife had not left for church yet and was able to bring me gas from a container in our garage.

We met after church at the Rio Grande in Morgantown and ate lunch with Roy's family because his son was about to head back to Charleston to Police Academy.
As we prepared to leave (around 1:30) it was raining lightly. The radar that I was looking at idicated that it would be light rain, and only for a short time and distance.
Seeing that my clothes were still wet from the morning rain on the way to church - I opted for (once again) leaving my rain gear packed away.
Steve and Roy suited up in their rain gear.

We took Rt. 7E out of Sabraton to Reedsville where we picked up 92S to 50E and made our first stop where everyone stops - Cool Springs.
It rained the entire way from Morgantown to Cool Springs. I will admit - thoughts of the whole trip being this way made me second guess the journey. I was hoping that Steve or Roy would suggest going home.
But as we rolled into Cool Springs - the rain stopped, and the remainder of the entire trip was great weather!

Rt. 50 is an awesome bike road! Its twists and turns were the best that I had been on in my 1 year (6,000 mile) bike experience.
The only downfall was that recent rains had left the curves littered with gravel and so we had to use extra caution and slower speeds than we would have liked.
The road 50E from 92 to Romney, WV is one that we plan on doing again for a day-trip.
In Romney we stopped for gas and a stretch before we headed on into Winchester, VA

50E from Romney to Winchester was nice - but in a different sort of way. I like western Virginia - it is beautiful in a different way than West Virginia.
And Winchester... I would live there in a heartbeat. Winchester is old-school, and quaint, and very appealing!

We stayed on 50E keeping an eye open for when 50E piggy-backed our new road - 17S
Finally we broke with 50E and followed 17S to Opal, VA where we stopped for supper at Pete's Park-N-Eat.
When we asked the kid behind the counter - where exactly we were - his reply was "Pete's Park-N-Eat". On our own we had to discover that "Opal" was exactly where we were.
After eating we accidently pulled out and got on 29/15 and it was a few miles down the road that we realized our mistake and backtracked to 17S

It wasn't until Fredericksburg (and after dark) that we discovered any hotels. We checked into Sleep Inn & Suites and checked out (Zzzz) for the night.
Monday morning we ate at the Waffle House across the street and then resumed our journey to VA Beach.

17S was a nice road and nice scenery, but nothing too spectacular. Once it turned into a divided highway - it actually was more pleasant and nearly empty.
We took 17S down to I-64 and headed toward the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Thankfully, the time of day meant that traffic wasn't too bad.
It would not have been fun sitting on a motorcycle in Hampton Roads gridlock.

After the bridge and tunnel we jumped off I-64 and got on 60S or Ocean View Ave. or Shore Dr., which is ironic because you cannot see the ocean or the shore.
But still, it was a better way into VA Beach than the Interstate.

We arrived in VA Beach about 1:00-1:30 and basiclly picked the 2nd hotel we looked at - LaQuinta. We chose it because it was 2 blocks off the beach (cheaper, theorietcly) and a reputable brand name.
We were on 29th street.

We changed into our swim trunks and went down Atlantic Ave. in search of food. We settled on an Italian joint where we ate strombolis and philly cheese steak.
After lunch we walked to the beach. Roy and Steve got their ankles wet and then decided to guard my t-shirt and flip-flops while I swam in the surf for 30 minutes or so.
Then we proceded to walk on the beach down to 3rd Street and back (a total of 52 city blocks) looking for a family from Morgantown that were vacationing on the beach.
It turns out that they were not on the beach, but in the Emergency Room with a sick little boy.

We got back to the hotel around 6:00 and left at 7:00 to meet another motorcycle rider that lives in VA Beach, and who I had met on the ADVrider Internet Forum.
Jim invited us to join him and his son for hot wings and conversation. We enjoyed conversing about motorcycles, politics and religion.
My only reget was ordering 6 "killer" wings along with my 6 "hot" wings. And to think that there were 3 levels above "killer".
Anyway - we appreciate Jim picking up the tab and hope to kindle a new friendship down the road.

Cruising VA Beach after dark, on a nice, cool evening was pretty neat.

We finally crashed into bed around 11:30 after trying to determine what Tuesday's weather would be.
The only thing for certain that we could find was that some smoke would be blowing in from NC.

The next morning when we stepped into the hallway - it seemed as though the hotel must be on fire.
Walking out side - it seemed as if the city must be on fire. We then discovered that swamp fires in NC were to blame.

The smoke was the least of our worries - breakfast in the hotel dining area was like navagating a Flash Mob.
There were 6 waffle makers and 56 people trying to make waffles. It's a wonder riots didn't break out!

We fuel up, and then embarked on the worst part of our journey. I-264 to I-64 to Richmond, VA.
Not only was the road very congested, but it was also very bumpy. It was a stressful and jarring ride.
After almost 100 miles we stopped at Bottoms Bridge / Quinton Exit for fuel and ate lunch at "Willie's Smoked Carolina BBQ"
Good BBQ!

We decided that we would go to the remote cabin that Steve's family and mine were staying at while were were on this trip.
The cabin was located deep in the Seneca State Park in the Monongalia National Forest.
We still planned that once we got around to the north of Richmond we would be looking for 33W toward Elkins, WV., and then turn south to the cabin.
Unfortuantely, we saw a sign for 33W before we anticipated - we got on it - and ended up going through the heart of Richmond.
So far - the only good thing about the trip this morning was Willies BBQ.

After we FINALLY got out of Richmond we took 33W up to Gordonsville, VA and stopped to fuel up. It was there that we decided to let my GPS take us to the cabin.
That turned out to be the best remedy for our day (a day of city-wide smoke, mayhem at the waffle makers, I-64, and downtown Richmond, etc..)

The GPS took us back down 33 the way we came and then put us on 15 toward I-64
I-64 at this place in Virginia was much, much more pleasant than it was around the Tidewater area!
We took I-64 all the way to I-81 at Stauton, VA where we gassed up and prepared for some of the best miles of our short trip!

250W That is a number I will not soon forget! Once we entered the George Washington National Forest on 250W - Richmond and I-64 seemed light years away. Seriously.
We met a biker at an overlook that was on his second trip (that day) down this stretch of road.
If you are a biker and have not traveled 250 through the GWNF - add that to your bucket list.

When we got to Monterey - we stopped for fuel and ate supper at "Mountain Hideaway Resturant".
We ate because we didn't know if our families had already eaten or if they would have enough, seeing that our arrival at the cabin would be a surprise.

From Monterey we jumped on 220 to 84 which was a beautiful, beautiful ride. The weather, the time of evening, the scenery - perfect! And so far from Richmond!
We took 84 to 92 to 28 to a 4 miles dirt road deep into the forest to pleasantly surprise our wives! We watched them eat supper and then we sat around the fireplace snacking until bedtime.

The next morning (Wednesday) we jumped on 28 back to 92 to 92/250 - a road that we had traveled several times in a car - is so much better on a bike.
We stopped at Huttonsville, WV for fuel and proceded to Elkins, WV up 250/55

At Elkins we stopped and ate lunch at the Steer Steakhouse Buffet, and then jumped on 33W/250/48/92 and took that to 250/92/119N through Belington / Philippi / Grafton.
By this time I am sleepy, sore, and just want to be home. As usual when returning from a trip - the last leg is unbearable. This trip was no exception.
The ride from Philippi to Morgantown seemed to take forever.

At 119 & I-68 we pulled over and shook hands, said our good-byes, and parted company.

It was a great trip and I would take another such trip in a heartbeat.
We thank God for keeping us safe the entire 800+ miles, from ignorant drivers as well as from deer and other dangers.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Out of gas

Heading out

Rt. 50 near Virginia

Listening to Pandora on my iPhone

Leaving hotel in Fredericksburg, VA

View from Shenandoah Mtn on 250 in VA

West Virginia in the background

Surprising our ladies
Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
yo_rocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

1) I did not take as many pictures as I wanted to
2) I did not take picture of all I intended to
3) Several good pictures did not turn out because of blur
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Nice write up. I hear you on the smoke in VaBeach on the morning you all left - after my 27 miles morning commute to work my eyes were stinging!

I think I am fixin' to copy part of your trip - I am taking a much needed break from the real world starting next Friday. I will be heading up to Bath County in VA. 250, Monterey, 220, 39, etc. are all on the agenda. I may even spring for a night in the Homestead! More than likely, though, I'll be camping. After a couple of days in Bath County I will head on down to my favorite corner of the world, the Smokey Mountains!