User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Camp F*ck n F*ck rat-rig assembly

Back in April I was thiiiis close to buying a brand new 2011 Ural T rig, but the credit union yanked the rug out from under me, right at closing. Seems Ural wasn't in their database, plus I wanted to buy a rig out of state. Long story short, no supervisor would sign off on the final loan paperwork.

So, plan B- make my own! Somehow I'd gotten the sidecar bug, even though I'd never driven a rig and only been a passenger a handful of times. I did own a suitable hack tug: a beat up 1978 R80/7. A little ragged, but only 14K miles and sound mechanically. I rescued this off a street in South Baltimore, where it had been left by the owner when he left the country without making arrangements for his bike. It was on a downhill slope and had trash up to the cylinder head and two flat tires. A little TLC and it's been my faithful steed for five years.

Good enough donor there. Now for the other half... Prior to the Ural deal, I had seen a forlorn Dnepr sidecar of indeterminate age on Craigslist. I initially passed, but told a buddy of mine, Tommy T (more on him later) about it, and he bought it. After the Ural deal fell through, I called him and he passed it on to me...

So, the two major components are accounted for. Time to devise a cunning plan....
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 541
A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
It's So Cunning You Could Brush Your Teeth With It.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

I like the cut of your jib, young fella me lad!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
'scribed. now git ta werk, youse!
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

OK, here goes...

I should back up a little and explain that this project has been underway since late April. It was a spur of the moment decision when my Ural deal tanked. I had the bike and a POS car, so why not, right? Like a lot of my projects, it's been poorly thought out, underfunded, and haphazardly executed, but the results have been pretty cool so far, at least to me. I'll work this thread chronologically and bring things up to the present in a series of posts. Luckily I took pictures of most of the process. Poor quality cell phone pics at that! I figured what the hell, I have a lot of photos, throw up a thread...

So, the sidecar: unknown vintage Dnepr tub and frame, no sidecar wheel drive. From a parts diagram I found on line I think it's an earlier one. Maybe early sixties? Original paint outside, with still hints of pinstriping. Multiple repairs, including what looks like a piece of 70s avacado kitchen appliance panel welded as a patch on the bottom of the trunk. Inside: layers of rust, flourescent orange highway paint, and driveway sealer, topped off with a hearty drenching of cat piss. That became evident when I started stripping it.

The original baltic birch or siberian pine footrest was still there. Unfortunately that didn't make it...

Miraculously, the original seat and backrest is still there, and the vinyl's not even ripped! I'll clean it with bleach, maybe make a cover at some point.

The spare carrier is mounted, and the spin on nut is on the spindle, but no spare. No wheel or shock or brake or even a castle nut, for that matter. Missing rearwards facing light, front is non-original. I began sourcing all this stuff online. When this rig is done it will have parts from all over the US and a few countries in Europe....
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
philipbarrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I'm hooked - keep it coming...
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Bases of Operation

This project has been taking place with two sub-projects underway simultaneously. The tub and frame refurbishment has been done by myself on the rear veranda of Chateau MotoJ, while the bike mechanics, fabrications, and generally anything requiring skill and a brain has been performed by Tommy at Camp F*ck'n F*ck,
his bike shop/rehearsal space/studio/cool hang-out.

Starting at Chateau MotoJ, let's assess the situation: the tub was in pretty bad shape, with a lacework of rust holes along both pan edges, and at all the bottom seams. I pulled a sheet of rust off the bottom of the trunk. Plus, the combing was cracked at all four corners.

It really would have been better off buried halfway in my yard and filled with soil and having rose bushes planted in it, but gotta work with materials at hand, right?

Obviously, the best way to repair this is to cut out all the rust back to good metal and start welding, right?

Nope! After careful thought, I decided it ultimately wouldn't be cost or time effective. And, I can't weld.

While the frame is in pretty good shape, the tub looks like a terminal case, eventually. Rust is hard to stop once it starts. My thinking was to just get the tub usable until I could afford a better one down the line. I found online a Trunk and Floor Pan Repair Kit from POR-15. While I waited for that, I started with the drill and wire brush attachment....

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 09:15 AM
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Meanwhile, back at Camp...

... the bike went on the lift. We're going to address the issue of brakes first. The single disk, even with a stainless line and EBC pads isn't going to cut it. After a lot of searching I saw on a thread BMWEuro (Chris) was parting out an R100, so a few PMs later and I had two sliders, a rotor, and a pair of matching blue ATE calipers. To address the suspension Tom compressed the Progressive springs with 1/2" spacers. The preload should help with dive.
We're going cheap and dirty here. Someday maybe a LL setup with Brembos.

New brakes and sinister looking black sliders and brace! This is more brake than I've ever had on a bike, probably. Still back in the 20th century- sad, huh?
The fork brace was made by Brad Phillips. I found him on EBay, but he's an inmate too, I think. He's also a Ducati racer. Anyway, nice piece, reasonably priced. I waffled between a top triple clamp or a fork brace to stiffen the front end. I couldn't afford both. By the threads I found here opinions seemed about 50/50, so I went with what I thought I could sell easiest if all this doesn't work out.

You can see the new /5 fender in the above shot. There's an Enduralast system peeking out back there too. I'll explain later...

(BTW, sorry again for the crap photos!)

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 12:14 PM
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804
This looks like fun!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
awesome.

There's definitely a sidecar in the future for me somewhere.
I'll be taking notes.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Stripping in the backyard

After liberal soakings with PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench over a number of days we were finally able to detach the tub from the frame. I put it in my truck and once home balanced it precariously on a wheelbarrow and got it down the steep sideyard to it's new home behind my house. Up on the sawhorses it went, and out came the drill and cup brush.

The tub had been repaired previously and the bottom had some primer and body filler here and there. As I proceeded with the brush, that all started coming off and it became apparent just how bad it really was.

From the inside I could see daylight all up and down the bottom of the pan where it made the turn to vertical.

It was kind of discouraging, but I had already ordered the POR15 Trunk Repair Kit, so I kept going...

MotoJ screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 07:26 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
Ryushin Kan
kancho

Oddometer: 87
I'm subscribed!! Great to see a back yard build on a budget - mine's coming I promise! I started with a GRP tub so easier to work with, it's only a fun hack so doesn't need to be strong enough for off-roading.

Ryushin Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Thanks RK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin Kan View Post
I'm subscribed!! Great to see a back yard build on a budget - mine's coming I promise! I started with a GRP tub so easier to work with, it's only a fun hack so doesn't need to be strong enough for off-roading.

I'm not sure what GRP is- fiberglass?
This project has been a load of fun, although it has taken longer and cost more than I thought, naturally. However, I heartily recommend it to everybody!

About halfway through messing with the tub I saw on Craigslist a Ural car with a disk brake, lights, new paint for $1500. Way, way more than I paid, but all ready to go.

When all is said and done though, I'm glad I went the way I did. It's been a bonding experience. I really feel like this is MY rig now. Plus the decisions I made about refurbishing the car and the colors and condition of all the salvage parts I scrounged eventually charted the look of the whole rig. You'll see...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

The Plan for the Rig

...was pretty nebulous from the start. It was definitely made up as we went along. Not having ever driven a rig I wasn't even sure I'd even like it, although I strongly suspected I would. Everyone who has one looks like a grinning fool!

With that in mind and having little funds as usual, I didn't want to mod the bike too much that it would be really difficult to turn back into a solo. I wanted to make investments that would benefit the bike regardless of having the car slung on it.

One of my biggest peeves with the Beemer is unless I had a lengthy blast down the highway a few times a week my battery would never stay charged. Most of my commute is through the city, with lots of lights, and the bike never gets revved up. There's a highway loop I can take, but that's only 15 minutes, and not enough time at the higher RPMs. Forget about an electric vest or heated grips.

So my two biggest expenditures came in the form of the dual disc setup you've already seen and an Enduralast charging system and crank mounted ignition.

While the bike was on the lift and we gave it a full service: oil, filter, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, final drive splines and oil. Fresh fluid with the new brakes, and both calipers and the master cylinder were rebuilt. The blue bodywork came off to be saved for something else down the line.

I couldn't afford a Leading Link front end and it seemed premature to buy one anyway, since this is kind of a toe dip into sidecarring. For the front end suspension we decided on a fork brace and slugs, as I explained. For ease of steering wide bars were in order. I found a pair of (almost) brand new 90s GS bars in Canada on Kiiji for $50, after a Google search.

My geniune Dnepr tonneau cover came in same day from "he who must not be named" in Ohio.
I paid for the bars with a personal check that I mailed the day before I got the bars. The guy had already shipped them! Canadians are so nice! I talked to him on the phone and suggested PayPal and he said, "why not just send a check and save the fees?". It never even occurred to him he might be ripped off. We've become jaded down here in the 48.