Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB View Post
I have a 2006 Vino with 15000 or so miles on it - it's in the shop today. I think the voltage regulator is bad. Looking back on the miles, it has spent a lot of time in the shop. A big problem I have is the muffler breaks off from the exhaust pipe. I think it's probably because I drive it wide open for long periods of time and don't slow down much rough roads and I expect the exhaust pipe gets hot and breaks when it is bumped for long periods of time.

I have broken the bolts where the exhaust pipe connects to the head twice - might be a related cause. I guess you could say I abuse that scooter...

Depending which way the wind is blowing, I will drive it anywhere except an interstate. My Vino must be a slug compared to other's because it is not going to do much more than 52-53 mph on the flat with no wind. Up hills and against the wind it will sometimes slow down to less than 30 mph. I have hit 69 mph (gps measured) downhill with a tailwind. Nothing overtly scary about it - considering the small wheels. Probably not a good idea - I have people ask me, "how fast will it go?", to which my reply is "fast enough for those small tires."

It is not buzzy -- vibration is not an issue.

I can carry an amazing amount of groceries on it. The flat floorboard is a big big plus for me. It's like a small pickup truck. I would like a Zuma, but if I am going to spend that much money, I think I would step up to a Vespa and if I was going to spend that much money, I think I would get a real motorcycle with real brakes.

I'm pretty happy with my Vino - I just wish it were a 150 or 165.....

No yours isn't a slug compared to other Vinos, there just a bit underpowered for a 125. I believe most say 50-55 MPH is about tops normally. Some bigger riders in windy conditions even report 45 MPH and under. Yes the wheels ain't no problem as long as you don't plan on flying through potholes.

The Vino is a good Scoot, and I even damn near bought one myself. They are just not that powerful. Yea I wouldn't take one on the Interstate , well probably not maybe 1 exit but there not Interstate legal here anyways, but around town I would imagine their great. Still perform far better than a 50 cc.

But if I were you I would still look around a little. Kymcos agility 125 probably has a little more power, does 60+ MPH GPS, and its only $1,799 brand new. Or look into a 150+ cc Scoot if more power and speed is desirable. The Buddy 125 also does have far more power.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
I just bought a used 08 vino 125 and am fairly impressed with it. Except for one thing... the part that connects the handlebars to the steering stem looks like something you'd find on a bicycle!

At bike bandit it's called the "handle, bracket" and it is $23.36. I know this because I had to buy one because mine broke. I had my vino on the back of my RV and coming back from Maine, I happened to look at the rear camera screen. I saw my vino had fallen over and was laying flat in the scooter carrier. It was about to fall off.

The cheaply made "handle, bracket" had broken causing the entire handlebars and all controls to disconnect from the scooter. The only thing holding the handlebars to the scooter were the brake and electrical cables.

Be very careful if you own a vino 125 and strap it to a trailer or scooter carrier. Your handlebars could very well break right off!

I just took these pics. I am waiting on the "handle, bracket" to arrive from bikebandit.

D0N screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 01:52 PM
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,516
OTOH, maybe not. I finally got a chance to stop by the dealer today. Took a look at a Vino. It looked good, much more substantial than my Elite 50. I asked him about the $1995 deal. He said "yes, plus a few other charges." Then he wanted to sit down and talk about it. Sure, let's sit down. He played around on a calculator for a fw minutes and came up with $3189 out-the-door. I thanked him politely and left. I mean seriously. Wtf?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, maybe not. I finally got a chance to stop by the dealer today. Took a look at a Vino. It looked good, much more substantial than my Elite 50. I asked him about the $1995 deal. He said "yes, plus a few other charges." Then he wanted to sit down and talk about it. Sure, let's sit down. He played around on a calculator for a fw minutes and came up with $3189 out-the-door. I thanked him politely and left. I mean seriously. Wtf?

There are loads of lightly used ones with low miles for under 1500 around here.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
There are loads of lightly used ones with low miles for under 1500 around here.
I can't find a decent used scooter to save my life around here. It's all Chinese crap and $4000 Vespas. I'll keep looking though. It's always fun to shop.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0N View Post
I just bought a used 08 vino 125 and am fairly impressed with it. Except for one thing... the part that connects the handlebars to the steering stem looks like something you'd find on a bicycle!

At bike bandit it's called the "handle, bracket" and it is $23.36. I know this because I had to buy one because mine broke. I had my vino on the back of my RV and coming back from Maine, I happened to look at the rear camera screen. I saw my vino had fallen over and was laying flat in the scooter carrier. It was about to fall off.

The cheaply made "handle, bracket" had broken causing the entire handlebars and all controls to disconnect from the scooter. The only thing holding the handlebars to the scooter were the brake and electrical cables.

Be very careful if you own a vino 125 and strap it to a trailer or scooter carrier. Your handlebars could very well break right off!

I just took these pics. I am waiting on the "handle, bracket" to arrive from bikebandit.

thanks for the heads up. I strap mine down all the time by the handlebars....
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #22
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Man that WAY to much! That dealer isn't real bright, thats like the price of a Brand new Zuma and that ain't no 2011 Vino either!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #23
Hypochondrius
pretentious hipster

Oddometer: 254
The Zuma 125 is over $1,000 more expensive. Are you thinking of the 50cc models of each respective bike?
Hypochondrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondrius View Post
The Zuma 125 is over $1,000 more expensive. Are you thinking of the 50cc models of each respective bike?

No his dealer is charging him $3,189 for an 09 Vino 125, and on Yamaha's site the Zuma 125 is $3,250. Maybe $3,500 out the door but thats not a good price difference for a 09 Vino or a Brand new Zuma 125.

Thats just over the top. $3,100 will get you a nice Sportster on CL, a Burgman 400 on CL, or a nice Honda Shadow.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
Hypochondrius
pretentious hipster

My bad. I forgot about the ridiculous dealer fees.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

I live in SE Alabama. Drove the Vino down to the Gulf Coast on Hwy 331 and through Panama City Beach - came back up Hwy 231 - a four lane.

220 miles.

My wife drove her Vespa 150... She was kind enough to let me draft off her a few times. Max speed GPS was 59 mph. It held about 48 mph upright - maybe 53 tucked.

She wants me to get a bigger scoot so I don't lag so much. Something Chinese...

I was considering, but then I found this: http://www.provoscooter.com/psr-150c...-vino-125.html.

It may be just what I need.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
Hypochondrius
pretentious hipster

That sounds awfully slow. I have no trouble ticking the mid 50s, and I've even managed to get it to hit 60 GPS on a flat land ONCE and I've never figured out what magical forces allowed that - probably clean oil, a clean filter, really fresh gas, a nice tail wind, and a particularly aerodynamic shirt.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
maybe the Lance Cali Classic would be another good choice if available in your area? it also now uses the SYM ceramic coated cylinder 125cc. should be good for durability. prob find 'em at your local SYM dealer. if you have one...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #29
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

that is a good looking scoot... more manly looking than the Vino,,
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #30
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB View Post
more manly looking than the Vino,,
I don't even know how to respond to that.