Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Of the 7 scooters I've owned (Honda Elite 150, Yamaha Riva 180, Honda Aero 125, Piaggio Fly 50, Genuine Stella 2T, Honda Met, Vino 125) the Vino 125 comes closest to being perfect. The Aero 125 and the Stella were more fun, because they were 2 strokes, but they had some issues. I still have the Stella, and will keep it forever. But it is more a toy to tinker with than practical transportation. The Vino is the only one besides the met that never broke down, and has enough power for anywhere but the freeway. The Met was 100% reliable, and I put a lot of miles on it, on rural country roads, out of town. It was a snail off the line, and would get you killed in town. The Vino keeps up with traffic just fine. And it just has a really solid substantial feel to it the others didn't. It runs at full throttle without feeling stressed, and does not squeak or rattle. I fully expect it to pass the 50,000 mile mark.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #62
gitder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm at 9K miles on my problem free 2007 Vino. First scoot I ever owned, purchased used in 2008 with 200 miles on it. Have since bought/sold 12 other scoots. This is the only one I'll never get rid of. It does everything perfectly (except interstates - like with any small sized scoot). Around here (WI) it takes a distant second in popularity to the Buddy's, heck, to almost all other 125/150 cc scooters. Not sure why its not better respected. I love it.
gitder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #63
351 power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Nice run on our Vinos yesterday. We took a 130 mile loop through Maine and home. 10$ on fuel and a bit more for food. Easier to feed the vinos than me
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #64
351 power
Adventurer

had another nice run on the 2 vinos yesterday. almost 200 mi. about 10$ a bike. average about 45 mph with a fair amount of wot. starting to get the hang of it
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #65
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,156
Thumb

Sounds like you are enjoying them.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #66
351 power
Adventurer

put the adjustable shock on and the ride is much smoother. now need to order one for kathy. 1000 km on the pirelli.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #67
gitder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
which shock did you go with?
gitder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #68
351 power
Adventurer

it was the YSS adjustable. 62.00 and easy to change
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #69
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
it was the YSS adjustable. 62.00 and easy to change
Do you have a link?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #70
351 power
Adventurer

sorry, not too good with the computer skills to make links. was with scooterworks.com. very easy site to search, just enter your scoot and stuff pops up. hope this helps
Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #71
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Of the 7 scooters I've owned (Honda Elite 150, Yamaha Riva 180, Honda Aero 125, Piaggio Fly 50, Genuine Stella 2T, Honda Met, Vino 125) the Vino 125 comes closest to being perfect. The Aero 125 and the Stella were more fun, because they were 2 strokes, but they had some issues. I still have the Stella, and will keep it forever. But it is more a toy to tinker with than practical transportation. The Vino is the only one besides the met that never broke down, and has enough power for anywhere but the freeway. The Met was 100% reliable, and I put a lot of miles on it, on rural country roads, out of town. It was a snail off the line, and would get you killed in town. The Vino keeps up with traffic just fine. And it just has a really solid substantial feel to it the others didn't. It runs at full throttle without feeling stressed, and does not squeak or rattle. I fully expect it to pass the 50,000 mile mark.

Only question I has is is looks aside, what is better about the Vino vs the Elite 150? They's reliable as well, at least just as reliable as a Vino gonna be in 25 years.

And powerwise, they do much better. I come from bigger cruisers, and to me the Elite 150 has plenty of acceleration from 0-50 MPH.

The Elites will cruise even better everywhere but the freeway IMO.

Maybe if they could put a Honda 150 water cooled motor into a Vino for y'all that ain't so crazy about the super 80's space age styling.

Not putting down the Vino. I know its a great little scoot. In fact, I came very close to buying one myself. But I got my 86 Elite 150 deluxe instead, mainly due to $ and a bit more performance. Just asking.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #72
351 power
Adventurer

would welcome the extra cc. a 250cc vino and i would never need another. just finishing a week in europe [first time], and am thinking i'd like a 300 vespa for longer distances. they sure get some use from scooters over here.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #73
ZREXER
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Have a '06 Vino 125 with about 3500 Kilometers on it now. At first I was disapointed with the power. I also have a Suzuki Bandit 1250 (10 times the engine size of the Vino) so that would skew my expectations.

After awhile, I came to like the Vino for what it was versus what it wasn't. Just for tooling around it is great fun.

A couple of things that help the speed. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Low tire pressure makes the bike feel sluggish. Aslo, watch you don't overfill the oil. Too much oil also drags the motor down. Put full synthetic in the rear gear drive, lower resistance as compared to dino oil. Small things, but they all help.

I am 6' 1". 195, but in a full tuck with neutral wind, it will hit 60 mph. 50 to 55 is more normal, but it takes along time to get there. You learn to anticapate lights on this machine and learn that once you get it to speed, to avoid slowing down unless you have to as it takes a long time to get it back up to speed.
ZREXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #74
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Well the Vino is now up to 24,000 miles, and has been parked. In the living room. Not a single thing wrong with it, and it did not have a single mechanical issue. And most of those miles are at full throttle on all day rides. It has been ridden through 115+ degree heat for full days at full throttle, nothing fazed it. The only reason it is not being ridden anymore is because I got 2012 Zuma 125.

So after putting nearly 25,000 miles on it, here's what I found.

It's gas mileage is not that great, and it has a one gallon tank. If you plan to actually go anywhere, you will need to take extra gas. It runs empty at around 70 miles.

It eats rear tires. I had to replace rear tires around 5,000-6000 miles. front tires last twice as long. I am on the heavy side.

It's not quite as fast as the Zuma 125, either in acceleration or top speed, but close. It definitely keeps up with 45 mph city traffic.

Belts last a long time. I had just put the third one on it, and they all looked good. Plan on at least 12,000 miles out of the belt. I replaced the rollers at 20,000, they still looked pretty good.

The valves simply do not wear. In 24,000 miles I adjusted them once. They are super easy to both check and adjust.

Rear brakes do not wear either, it still has the original rear brakes. It's on it's third set of front pads, but they could have lasted a little longer.

I changed the oil every 1000 miles with regular car oil. I never found anything in the bottom screen, I never had the other screen apart.

The underseat storage area holds more than the Zuma's. I was able to easily carry an extra gallon of gas under the seat.

The rear rack/fuel filler design is just stupid. One of the first things I did with the Zuma was install a rack with a top box. One thing I found, after getting the Shad 33L top box for the Zuma, is that you can install the base plate on the Vino, and still get to the gas filler. But you would have to unlock and remove the case every time you put gas in it (or every 70 miles or less) BUT, at least Yamaha managed to avoid using a $200 electric fuel pump.

After I initially redesigned the exhaust mounting bracket, it never failed again. I still believe this was an engineering issue caused by Yamaha installing something that was not part of the original design.

Yes, the CVT cover can hit the ground, and mine did a couple of times. I guess I was to heavy for it to lift me up.

That big chrome headlight cover that I loved so much when the scooter was new doesn't go over so well now. It certainly wasn't designed for use in bright sun. I didn't want to ruin it, so I actually put tape on it to avoid being blinded.

That's about it. Nothing on the scooter other than maintenance items shows any wear, and it only has a couple of nicks in the otherwise perfect paint, which I found while removing several thousand miles worth of bugs. It has it's issues, but it has been dead reliable, comfortable, no quirks in it's handling, brakes are fine, even the original battery still works.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #75
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Neighborhood trips. Nothing over 10 miles one way. I have an Elite 50 right now. It's not quite fast enough to feel safe on the 45 mph roads.
I have a Vino. It is fine for neighbourhood trips, but it is NOT fast enough to be safe on 45mph roadways. It will go 45mph, but just barely. If you're going to do battle on the freeway, get a bike with a higher top speed.

$2000 is not a great deal. There are lots of used Vinos around here for that price.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote