ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #16
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
Yer not using enough trottle. Peg it and get on the pegs!
I did. I fell. Gosh darn 4x4 tracks make it tough. I did make it a few times though. Bring a strong friend if you can.

BTW. I was thinking of going down to OBX with my girlfriend when it get's warmer. Let me know if you would like to go when we do.

Omi screwed with this post 03-08-2005 at 01:01 PM
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Omi
0o0o0o

That's me. John took the pic.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #18
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228
Welcome to the asylum, Gregor.

I just noticed your sig-line and went rummaging through my box of old magazine articles that made an impression . . .

Nice work:

I hope you don't mind me scanning these images. I'll edit 'em out of this thread if you wish.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #19
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
cool pics

doesn't Montauk, out at the tip of Long Island, have some beaches to camp on???

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #20
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,431
Thanks, I wish the magazine would send those shots back.

I'm headed to Daytona right now to work on a book on Superbike racing. I wish I was riding down there but I've got 7 cases of equipment which is a bit much for the 950.

I was thinking L.I. had some campable beaches but from what I found you have to camp away from the beach. I was hoping to find that idylic setting of riding up and pitching the tent - it sounds like the O.B. is the place. They even allow fires on the beach.

Gregor
sakurama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #21
Omi
0o0o0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
Thanks, I wish the magazine would send those shots back.

I'm headed to Daytona right now to work on a book on Superbike racing. I wish I was riding down there but I've got 7 cases of equipment which is a bit much for the 950.

I was thinking L.I. had some campable beaches but from what I found you have to camp away from the beach. I was hoping to find that idylic setting of riding up and pitching the tent - it sounds like the O.B. is the place. They even allow fires on the beach.

Gregor
I think you have to camp away from the beach at OBX. Check at Hatteras. You may be able to camp on the beach there.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #22
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
I've just picked up a 950 Adventure so I'm looking for adventures for it. I'm sure riding it two up with loaded panniers onto the beach would be an exercise in futility but that's never stopped me before. It will make for a good dry run for Europe.
Gregor
Gregor,
I live just outside of Norfolk, by Yorktown. If you are on your way down, let me know and I'll be happy to ride the beach past Corolla with you. It is only 2 1/2 hours from my house. BTW, if you are coming down I-95, get off in Wilmington and come down 13/301 on the DELMARVA peninsula to cross the Bay Bridge. It is much better than I-95 thru Baltimore/DC messoplex. And if you want to visit Assateque and the ponies you can do it on the way. I have a spare room and a big garage too, if you need it.

The beach is a blast. Have ridden it two-up with my wife on the GS. You should have seen the looks we got from the 4WD people. Your Adventure fully loaded should not be a problem. Just make sure you know the tide charts. Low tide is a must. It is well worth the trip!

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #23
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Gregor,

The beach is a blast. Have ridden it two-up with my wife on the GS. You should have seen the looks we got from the 4WD people. Your Adventure fully loaded should not be a problem. Just make sure you know the tide charts. Low tide is a must. It is well worth the trip!
I rode on the beach on my klr650, and it was really great. It felt so good to be on a beach. Did you ride on the soft sandy stuff or did you make it out to the wet hard stuff?

To ride on the soft stuff you need a bit of speed, and the mph on the beach is around 5mph-10mph, and they actually patrol it on atvs.

There are also tons of trails around there that atv groups go on rides.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #24
santaferider
The Argienaut

Oddometer: 56,534
North Padre Island, just South of Corpus Christi, TX offers 76 miles of National Seashore. You can camp at the foot of the dunes and have a first row view of the Gulf. You can do the first 5 miles after the Malachite Visitor Center on any bike, after that you need a trailie because the sand is softer.

Great birding and a remote, solitary camping experience.
santaferider is offline   Reply With Quote