ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Paul Clipper OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Oddometer: 11
The Final Word on 950 wheels

Okay, I'm working on my own bike as well as a story in Trail Rider, or a series of stories in Trail Rider. I need to know real experience from folks who have tried it, and here's the question:
Is anyone in the forum riding a KTM Adventure with a 17-inch rear wheel and 19-inch front wheel? And if so, how's it working?
I know the factory infomation is full of dire warnings to not fit 17-inch rims to the 950, but they're very vague about the 17/19 combo. I've heard rumors and speculation about terminal high speed tank slappers, but I haven't heard any first-hand knowledge. So what's the scoop from those of you who know?
One reason I ask is that I'm building a second set of wheels for primarily street use. And if smaller works better, why not do it? Thanks.
Paul Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clipper
Okay, I'm working on my own bike as well as a story in Trail Rider, or a series of stories in Trail Rider. I need to know real experience from folks who have tried it, and here's the question:
Is anyone in the forum riding a KTM Adventure with a 17-inch rear wheel and 19-inch front wheel? And if so, how's it working?
I know the factory infomation is full of dire warnings to not fit 17-inch rims to the 950, but they're very vague about the 17/19 combo. I've heard rumors and speculation about terminal high speed tank slappers, but I haven't heard any first-hand knowledge. So what's the scoop from those of you who know?
One reason I ask is that I'm building a second set of wheels for primarily street use. And if smaller works better, why not do it? Thanks.
I have a set of 17/19 they work great on the street with Anakee tires but I do not like them offroad at all
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)

Greg Minor screwed with this post 10-04-2007 at 08:19 PM
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Gaserman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 62
I haven't heard of these high speed tank slappers. I'm just about to order a 17" for my rear to go with my 21" Excel. Anyone heard of any problems with this combo? Buchanan doesn't seem to think it's a problem.
Gaserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul
 
KTMax's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oddometer: 1,099
I've thought about this too. This gives you a wealth of tires to choose from. There shouldn't a technical problem but keep in mind that the rear end of the bike drops at least half an inch (depending on the tire size). This might not seem much but it will affect the handling and steering of the bike.

You could (or should) drop the forks through the yokes to compensate for the lowered rear.
__________________
690 SMR

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
BlueSkies
Skydive&Moto-Ride
 
BlueSkies's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Logan Ut.
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaserman
I haven't heard of these high speed tank slappers. I'm just about to order a 17" for my rear to go with my 21" Excel. Anyone heard of any problems with this combo? Buchanan doesn't seem to think it's a problem.
is your excel front rim a 2.15 or a 1.60... i'm still looking for a 2.15by21 front rim???

and if it is a 1.60.... how well does it work???
__________________
2004 KTM 950
1988 Yamaha 1100
1984 Honda XR 250R
Many Sno-X Sleds
2006 YZF 450 (with radix track system for winter)
2006 KTM EXC 525 (with radix track system for winter)
2008 KTM 950 SE R (working on radix track system for winter riding. imagine the hp on snow)
Radix snow track system (2moto.com)
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles
 
Renazco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Oddometer: 4,746
Hi Paul
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Paul Clipper OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Oddometer: 11
Hi James. Didn't get my seat yet, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow--can't wait! I'll let you know about it when it gets here.

Greg--what kind of tires do you have in the 17/19 combo? And why don't you like it in the dirt? For that matter, why do you like it on the street? Your input is appreciated! I have another set of hubs coming,a nd I can lace anything I want to them. Right now, I have Buchanan/Sun rims and stainless spokes and nipples with a 1.8 front and 2.75 rear. Works great with Metzeler Karoos on it (so far).
Paul Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
Gaserman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 62
I have a 1.6 x21 Excel on the front and have 10,000kms with lots of off roading. Works fine and no more taco shells!
Gaserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clipper
Hi James. Didn't get my seat yet, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow--can't wait! I'll let you know about it when it gets here.

Greg--what kind of tires do you have in the 17/19 combo? And why don't you like it in the dirt? For that matter, why do you like it on the street? Your input is appreciated! I have another set of hubs coming,a nd I can lace anything I want to them. Right now, I have Buchanan/Sun rims and stainless spokes and nipples with a 1.8 front and 2.75 rear. Works great with Metzeler Karoos on it (so far).
If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the stock setup for street and built a new set of offroad wheel which I ended up doing anyway I have a 2.5/18 rear and a 1.6 front for my regular DP wheels and the 17/19 that I ran anakees on which caused the front end to tuck in the dirt I just bought a brand new set of BMW spec TKC's right before my accident that I was going to use for my ride to DV Daze but I never got the chance. The problem I had with the 17/19 setup was that if I was street riding I would alway seem to find a new offroad opportunity and the 19" wheel took all that nice handling away in the dirt. The 17" with the big 150/70/17 is a big tire. I think its a better set up than the 140/80/18 that is available. I'll bet it will last longer too. With the 21" wheel I would raise the fork tubes to accomadate the drop in height in the rear. I think someone has done this. I planned to test it but it will be several months before I can ride
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the stock setup for street and built a new set of offroad wheel which I ended up doing anyway I have a 2.5/18 rear and a 1.6 front for my regular DP wheels and the 17/19 that I ran anakees on which caused the front end to tuck in the dirt I just bought a brand new set of BMW spec TKC's right before my accident that I was going to use for my ride to DV Daze but I never got the chance. The problem I had with the 17/19 setup was that if I was street riding I would alway seem to find a new offroad opportunity and the 19" wheel took all that nice handling away in the dirt. The 17" with the big 150/70/17 is a big tire. I think its a better set up than the 140/80/18 that is available. I'll bet it will last longer too. With the 21" wheel I would raise the fork tubes to accomadate the drop in height in the rear. I think someone has done this. I planned to test it but it will be several months before I can ride

I'm really beginning to think the 17/21 setup is going to be the way to go until we can get some decent 150 spec DOT knobbies in 18" (Karoos don't count as decent....I need tires that last more that 500 miles thanks).

I'm really not all that happy with the traction I'm getting off-raod with the conti 140...the wheel spins up pretty fast, and when pushing hard into corners, the bike will break-loose and "slide-in" a little too quickly--even when not under power. I don;t think it's the make/model of the tire at this point...I think it's just that with all of that weight and power, the 150 spec rear really is necessary to get enough contact with the ground.

I just don't think I'll be able to switch to a 17" rear any time soon...

Hmmm...If only I knew someone with a 950 that couldn't ride for a few months, I could possibly try the 17" setup...but alas....

Sooooo..anyway, has anyone heard if the romours about a 150-18 TCK80 has been validated anywhere yet?
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #11
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
I'm really beginning to think the 17/21 setup is going to be the way to go until we can get some decent 150 spec DOT knobbies in 18" (Karoos don't count as decent....I need tires that last more that 500 miles thanks).

I'm really not all that happy with the traction I'm getting off-raod with the conti 140...the wheel spins up pretty fast, and when pushing hard into corners, the bike will break-loose and "slide-in" a little too quickly--even when not under power. I don;t think it's the make/model of the tire at this point...I think it's just that with all of that weight and power, the 150 spec rear really is necessary to get enough contact with the ground.

I just don't think I'll be able to switch to a 17" rear any time soon...

Hmmm...If only I knew someone with a 950 that couldn't ride for a few months, I could possibly try the 17" setup...but alas....

Sooooo..anyway, has anyone heard if the romours about a 150-18 TCK80 has been validated anywhere yet?
I'm getting lots of offers on my wheels. If you want to ride out here I'll be glad to let you try it
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
I'm getting lots of offers on my wheels. If you want to ride out here I'll be glad to let you try it


Bastidge...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
Rbott
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Pownal, VT
Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
I'm really beginning to think the 17/21 setup is going to be the way to go until we can get some decent 150 spec DOT knobbies in 18" (Karoos don't count as decent....I need tires that last more that 500 miles thanks).
Flanny,
Have you tried the Michelin Baja or Desert? I have the Baja rear and it has about 600 miles on it and it still looks great. Probably half of that on asphalt(very scary!).

Ryan
__________________
2014 Husaberg FE350
2004 KTM Adventure 950
Underground Machine LLC
Rbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbott
Flanny,
Have you tried the Michelin Baja or Desert? I have the Baja rear and it has about 600 miles on it and it still looks great. Probably half of that on asphalt(very scary!).

Ryan

Funny you should ask. I have a brand spankin new one in my basement waiting on my '05 to arrive to install for the spring.

I'm eager to try it out.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
sakurama
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,435
Bump...

I just put about 1000 miles on the new 19" front and 17" rear and I have to say that KTM made a HUGE mistake by not making this the stock wheel size on the bike. I think they should offer the 21" and 18" wheels on the S as an offroad biased bike but on the street that size isn't as good as it could be.

I think the 17/19 combo is so much better since it puts a quicker steering and wider front tire on the pavement. The bike turns in quicker, transitions much faster and easier and feels more planted. There are also many more tires available for this size and it takes about an inch off the seat height.

I'll keep the set of wheels that Woody made for me that are beefed up in the 18/21 sizes for when I plan on doing some serious off roading but if I'm going to do any long trips I think the smaller wheels are much better suited. I'm thinking of putting a set of TKC 80's on the new rims and doing the 1-State Dual Sport coming up in May just to see what they're like off road but I did a few gravel roads on them and it wasn't bad. I'm running Avon Distanza's right now so that's a more street oriented tread but it wasn't bad.

I think the improvement of handling on pavement (where 80% of these bikes will spend 80% of their time) is more than worth the small trade in off road ability. If this bike had been tested with these wheels against a GS, Multistrada, Buell or V-Strom it wouldn't even be close. This is the perfect middle ground between motard 17's and the full offroad wheelsets and it makes the bike a real pleasure on the pavement.

I spent a lot of time on small twisty back roads with these wheels and I can't think of any full size bike that I've enjoyed flogging as much. It's a complete transformation.

Clipper - you'll have to try it to believe it.

Gregor
Attached Images
 
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014