Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #31
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
The caveat though would be that I like a bike that falls easily into corners as I spent my road racing on 125 and 250 GP bikes. I've always found Ducatis to be a bit heavy steering and require a lot of push but trade that for stability of a freight train in the corner.
I'm not a road racer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have ridden sport bikes, including Ducatis. I switched my front tire from the Scorpion to the Karoo T and find it better on pavement, including being significantly quicker and lighter to turn. And it loves to turn on the brakes. With a Karoo T front and a Scorpion rear I haven't been able to overwhelm the tires on asphalt. When I commute to work, my office driveway has a tight lefthand hairpin followed by a tight righthand hairpin. I bevel my boot soles in 2nd gear every time, even in the morning when it's cold out.

Of course the Karoo is also a billion times better in the dirt than the Scorp. I have my suspension set on standard front and rear, and have no complaints. Perhaps I am a freak. Or else just not a good enough rider to know the difference.

I for one am fine with the 21/18 wheels on and off the street. My only complaint is the lack of choice for rear tires.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
17"/19" wheel set

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
Bump...

I just put about 1000 miles on the new 19" front and 17" rear and I have to say that KTM made a HUGE mistake by not making this the stock wheel size on the bike. I think they should offer the 21" and 18" wheels on the S as an offroad biased bike but on the street that size isn't as good as it could be.

I think the 17/19 combo is so much better since it puts a quicker steering and wider front tire on the pavement. The bike turns in quicker, transitions much faster and easier and feels more planted. There are also many more tires available for this size and it takes about an inch off the seat height.

I'll keep the set of wheels that Woody made for me that are beefed up in the 18/21 sizes for when I plan on doing some serious off roading but if I'm going to do any long trips I think the smaller wheels are much better suited. I'm thinking of putting a set of TKC 80's on the new rims and doing the 1-State Dual Sport coming up in May just to see what they're like off road but I did a few gravel roads on them and it wasn't bad. I'm running Avon Distanza's right now so that's a more street oriented tread but it wasn't bad.

I think the improvement of handling on pavement (where 80% of these bikes will spend 80% of their time) is more than worth the small trade in off road ability. If this bike had been tested with these wheels against a GS, Multistrada, Buell or V-Strom it wouldn't even be close. This is the perfect middle ground between motard 17's and the full offroad wheelsets and it makes the bike a real pleasure on the pavement.

I spent a lot of time on small twisty back roads with these wheels and I can't think of any full size bike that I've enjoyed flogging as much. It's a complete transformation.

Clipper - you'll have to try it to believe it.

Gregor
I completely agree..I had Woody's make me up an Excel 17" rear, 19" front and with Diatanzias mounted it is the most wonderful twisty road bike I have even ridden..I will stay up with almost anything out there. However..I had to increase the preload on the front and go to zero preload on the back to get it not to be "twitchy"..It is very sensitive to rear ride height..With this set-up I don't care how many water pumps it eats! I love this freaking thing! It does ok on gravel and fire roads too...With this set-up it really is more of a sport bike than a dual-sport...Try it if you think I am kidding..

RJK
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #33
fingerlake
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thinking about switching to 19" Front wheel

Has anyone tried the 19"front/18"rear wheel combo. I'd like to keep the 21" front wheel fitted with a decent knobby and just switch to the 19" front wheel for faster road riding or road tours. This would cut down on the new wheel expense.
fingerlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #34
Big__AL
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Quick question:

When swapping from 21/18 to 19/17 what gearing changes have you guys make on the sprocket and countersprocket, and were you able to keep the stock chain length?

I had a DRZ400 w/ dirt and SM wheels, but had to replace the chain when I swapped over and that made it a real pain in the a$$ to do.

Thanks Dan
The change in diameter of the rear tire is not that significant........no changes needed.
-50 something HD Panhead Bobber
Big__AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #35
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlake
Has anyone tried the 19"front/18"rear wheel combo. I'd like to keep the 21" front wheel fitted with a decent knobby and just switch to the 19" front wheel for faster road riding or road tours. This would cut down on the new wheel expense.

This is something I've been wondering as well-- glad I did some searching to see if it was asked; but unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone responded.

So I'll ask it-- has anyone tried running a 19/18 combination? Other than probably not being able to get as many road type tires in 18" as 17", it would seem to be a reasonable (and relatively economical) alternative.

And a related question-- has anyone done 19/17 (or 19/18) on an SE?

Get past they "why would you want to....." part: I'm just looking to see if anyone's done it and how it's worked: not for imagined or perceptional reasons not to do it.

thanks,
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #36
Kolossos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
very interesting thread
Kolossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #37
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlake

Answered here for the A.

I asked a follow-up about the SE in that thread.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #38
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,000
....I just mounted the 17/19 combo with Avon D's....seems to me offroad the suspension feels alot less supple and the handling not as crisp.
I may try TKC's...or just throw the 18/21's on to do dirt.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #39
jak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Ive been wondering about the wheel size change as well. Ive done the fork springs and valving already with a huge improvement. My 990ADV is mainly being used as a 2 up touring bike 95% of the time so Im really struggling with the wheel change and the investment. Any thoughts?
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #40
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

If your doing mostly road work and want the bike a bit lower then I'd say absolutely, otherwise if your satisfied with the bike why bother. I personally think the 18/21 works just fine in the turns, the 17/19 just ads some thrill. I really do like the ability to have some bend at the knees when I stop. The bike isn't a tippy when doing a U-ie and such.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #41
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
tire size

I am looking for a second set of road tires to put on my 950 SE and from what I gather the Excel 17" rear, 19" front seems to be the way to go....

Now my only questions is what hub size I have read 2.15 front and 4 rear?

what sizes work best and give you the best availability for tires??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #42
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

IMO wider front is best for both of and onroad.
Mine are 2.15 and 5" out back.
I don't think there's any diff in availability for skins.
Pretty much the same choices as GS tires.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #43
d.l.white
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have 17/19 tubeless wheels from Woody's Wheel Works.I'm running a set of Road Attack tires. I'm very happy with the setup.With the stock fork springs it had way to much static sag .I was getting a slight weave or handlebar shake under braking and through the turn.I had a set of .70kg springs installed.That raised the front about 2".Now it works great.
d.l.white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #44
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...what's your weight d.l. white mate?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #45
d.l.white
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
180 lbs