Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,530
Excellent start to a great ride. Safe travels and enjoy. I know from your writing so far this will be a great laugh.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Bear in mind, I am a complete noob at all this, and am naturally wary of preparation, mostly due to its close resemblance in appearance to prostration but also because it cuts into beer drinking time.
Are you fricking reading my mind or what ?

My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
Route planning, immunizations and the likelihood of imminent death

As mentioned we are starting in Los Angeles, and hope to end up somewhere in South America.
We don’t have a set route, or any real goals apart from hoping to see a few specific places – most of which are based on Seager having been to South America previously, and places that he missed, or went to and thought were the dogs bollocks.
Things such as Salar de Uyuni, Torres del Paine, Columbian girls and Iguazu falls are on the hit list.

The route between here and there will be mostly what we can cobble together on the way, taking suggestions from locals and fellow travelers where possible, but leaning towards discovering the rural areas more so than the suburban ones. Returning to civilization when the beer stocks run low. Your wonderful or idiotic suggestions here will be taken with a degree of seriousness!
The only place that I have put down as mandatory is the start, which will be down through Baja, even though I have lived in SoCal for about 3 and a bit years, I only discovered this wonderland about 6 months ago. 2 trips later and experiencing shit like this:

Has cemented my desire to explore more.

Seager, friend of all certifiably insane individuals has a good buddy who races moto’s in the Baja 1000/500 etc. Despite the fact that apparently he always gets the silt stages in the middle of the night a few of his hot tips were taken for the route down, cheers Stephen

In preparation for the trip, good friend Seager told me that I needed to get immunization from everything from aids, to bird flu and get amphetamines from the Japanese?
Cue me going to utilize the US medical system for first time. I can report after a few hits to the knee’s and a good squeeze of the nuts by the elderly Asian doctor, all was apparently well on the health front. Well it was, until his nurse started using me as a pin cushion. She inquired as to where I was travelling, the response of “Mexico and all of Central and South America” was received with a deep sigh and a facial expression that could only be described as concerned.
Out came the warnings.
  • Cannot drink water
  • Cannot shag the locals
  • Cannot camp
  • Cannot drink alcohol
  • Cannot swim in fresh water
  • Cannot go outside in any populated area
  • Cannot eat street food

Her list continued, so did her long face. With each item mentioned I thought we would use it as a mental checklist of activities that must be completed throughout the trip. As a challenge we could be given bonus points for how many of the activities that could be completed simultaneously. Eating a taco (figuratively and literally) in a fountain in the town center while doing shots of tequila is considered to be the ultimate combo.
I discovered however, that this was not be the last of the fearful attitude towards stepping outside your front door.

When I mentioned to my place of work I was leaving – I just mentioned that I was heading off to do some travel before I return to school to do some MBA, didn’t want to make a big deal of it. Despite my best attemps, word got round that aforementioned travel included actually stepping foot outside of the United States, and God forbid I would be doing it on some form of steel chariot that causes people to wake up in the morning with a bad case of death. Upon discovery of this escapade my bosses first reaction was not the standard “are you concerned for your safety?” (if I had a dollar…). He looked me in the eyes and was far more original; “What do you rate your odds of survival?” said with a deadpan serious face - which changed quickly to amusement when my answer was greater than his expectation of “none”. He followed this up with something even further from left-field “I’m not a gun person, but you are going to be carrying, right?”, my response was a laugh as I was picturing the look on the Honduras customs officers face when he comes across a .45 in my pannier. Unfortunately I was not surprised when he didn’t know that Panama was north of Columbia.
One of my more learned and travelled colleagues provided the most positive encouragement of any of my immediate friends “You have seen the Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman, right?”, thinking that we were about to embark on a conversation on what a cool journey it was that they took, how awesome of an experience it would have been for them, and perhaps a more serious discussion on avoid eating testicules if possible, I responded a little too eagerly with a “YEAH!!!!” and a look like I had just found a new soul mate.
Her response of “Well, they cried” shocked me a little, and may have corrupted my retort of “Well, they were winey little bitches”.
I am going to miss a lot about the US, actually, make that a hell of lot - the country is a lot cooler than it is often given credit for. The average person's inherent fear of anything that might involve some risk, and particularly if that risk is located south of the border I will try to overlook.

Fortunately a group of my really good friends from here thought my spirits would be improved by creating a betting pool. On how many weeks until my mom gets a call from the Australian Consulate about my apparent absence and/or decapitation. Subsequently a fatality needs to be avoided at all costs, as I threw 10 bucks in for coming out unscathed.
Apparently the smart money is on 3 weeks.

Flys Lo screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 06:10 PM
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,093
I'm in

I'M IN---- THE POOL I MEAN, PUT ME DOWN FOR FOUR WEEKS ---IT WILL BE AT LEAST THAT LONG TO DRINK YOUR WAY DOWN THE BAJA NO REALLY, I'M IN BECAUSE ALL YOU FOOKING AUSSIES ARE ALL ABOUT 1/2 A BUBBLE OFF & TWO TACOS SHORT OF A COMBO PLATE I LOVE THAT IN A PEOPLE

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo View Post
Route planning, immunizations and the likelihood of imminent death

Her response of “Well, they cried” shocked me a little, and may have corrupted my retort of “Well, they were winey little bitches”.

The average person's inherent fear of anything that might involve some risk, and particularly if that risk is located south of the border I will try to overlook.

Amongst all the other amazingly clever quips, the first had me LOL, literally. I'm so "in" ... the second is a summation that I've always felt but could never verbalize, thanks! .. have a great trip and I'm sure it doesn't need to be said but "Enjoy the experience!"
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #21
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 450
Let's think about this for a moment.

So where do we start?

"Out came the warnings."
  • Cannot drink water – duh, bottled beer everywhere, it’s no ice, that’s the locale water.
  • Cannot shag the locals – sure you can, bring $$$$.
  • Cannot camp – sure you can, your Mum will be calling about your safety sooner than later.
  • Cannot drink alcohol – rubbing alcohol no, beer and Rum yes.
  • Cannot swim in fresh water – more chicas at the Beach and the salt water might kill what the shagging gave you. Don’t bet on it.
  • Cannot go outside in any populated area – if you’re with the populace, then your looking for tires or parts. Populated area equal problems.
  • Cannot eat street food – Then why go? Where the hell do the locals eat? Just shooooo the flies away first. And they don't eat much and they are 100% protein.
Go ahead and ask me how I know these answers. Right, I already got that T-shirt.

Now if the betting pool and smart money is on 3 weeks; not to worry, that will get you all the way to Panama. That's provided not too much Shagging and recuperation are taking place.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantarek View Post

Are you fricking reading my mind or what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
I'M IN---- THE POOL I MEAN, PUT ME DOWN FOR FOUR WEEKS ---IT WILL BE AT LEAST THAT LONG TO DRINK YOUR WAY DOWN THE BAJA NO REALLY, I'M IN BECAUSE ALL YOU FOOKING AUSSIES ARE ALL ABOUT 1/2 A BUBBLE OFF & TWO TACOS SHORT OF A COMBO PLATE I LOVE THAT IN A PEOPLE
I choose to take that as a compliment
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
So where do we start?

"Out came the warnings."
  • Cannot drink water – duh, bottled beer everywhere, it’s no ice, that’s the locale water.
  • Cannot shag the locals – sure you can, bring $$$$.
  • Cannot camp – sure you can, your Mum will be calling about your safety sooner than later.
  • Cannot drink alcohol – rubbing alcohol no, beer and Rum yes.
  • Cannot swim in fresh water – more chicas at the Beach and the salt water might kill what the shagging gave you. Don’t bet on it.
  • Cannot go outside in any populated area – if you’re with the populace, then your looking for tires or parts. Populated area equal problems.
  • Cannot eat street food – Then why go? Where the hell do the locals eat? Just shooooo the flies away first. And they don't eat much and they are 100% protein.
Go ahead and ask me how I know these answers. Right, I already got that T-shirt.

Now if the betting pool and smart money is on 3 weeks; not to worry, that will get you all the way to Panama. That's provided not too much Shagging and recuperation are taking place.
I like the way you don't think
Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #23
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

Getting ready to GTFO

So Sega was summarily provided with a class from my esteemed motorcycle riding school. Lessons kinda go like this, get your ass on a bike, ride around as much inhospitable country as possible for a few weeks unsupervised, and see if you are alive at the end of it.
I wrote a list of my favorite spots and hikes and told him to have at it.

Despite not hearing from him for 2 weeks, and then randomly receiving this message from him:

lol
might need and lift back front tyre going ver y fast

And me jumping to conclusions that a high speed front blow out had caused a fiery, near death experience.
I was wrong, he was just f'n with me, cheeky mofo.

Here are some photos from his escapades around the South West USnA

Motorcycling cherry, about to be popped.

Put a shirt on.

He's back, in once piece, and so is his pile. Meanwhile I have been studiously meeting all my planning requirements by barely spending an hour sober in the past two weeks saying goodbye to all my mates here, I am going to miss this place.
We point the handlebars south and open the throttles on Sunday (I made the adult decision that a Saturday kickoff after a night out with my mates could result in much shorter odds in the betting pool)

Flys Lo screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 12:58 PM
Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Dude, this rocks, like majorly. I wanna go too, but, my cubicle has four walls and I have yet to figure out how I got in here to begin with, so getting out has been my biggest challenge to date. I'm reading my way through your posts though,...ride on!
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
When it comes to street vendors, do what the locals do: Ask yourself if the person handling the food you're about to eat has somewhere to wash his/her hands after relieving him/herself.
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #26
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
When it comes to street vendors, do what the locals do: Ask yourself if the person handling the food you're about to eat has somewhere to wash his/her hands after relieving him/herself.
Spend any time south of the boarder go to a local indoors or outdoors food vendor and find a place to relieve yourself and then wash your hands, now think of the working stiff doing the cooking. Good one.

One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

And we're off!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Keep Us Posted1

Enjoy the ride, your not going to want to join the real world when this is over.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
2000silverbullet
n00b

Oddometer: 1
In!
2000silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #30
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote: