User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,270
Somebody Guzzi-ed me!

So, the plan was Andy (Wisconsin BMW Club Member and friend), OU812 ('nuff said) and myself would meet at my place at noon thirty, and head to the Wisconsin Motoguzzi Rally. Andy is salary, so needless to say he was late. I arrived at 12:30, and quick fixed my left turn signal, (wire fell off clip) and finished packing. Since time was a factor, we were going to take Hwy 18 (four lanes) west to Madison, and drop down Hwy 151 to just outside of Belmont, Wisconsin. The Rally was at Lake Joy Campground, a private owned Lake.

Andy said he could go 50 then he needed gas, and I picked a nice shortcut to 18 and a gas station at about 32 miles out, close to my brother's house, and I know all the roads in between. We arrived there, and OU812 said I didn't save any time.
To me, a nice road is not always a quick road, so we need to work on communications.

We arrived at the rally around 4 pm, after around 150 miles, and set up camp in the heat and humidity. It was too hot to even take pictures for me, and I think OU812 did anyway, and posted them in Helmet Time. We mostly just hung and drank and talked about tomorrow's ride in the driftless region.
That is when the fun really begins.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

To set up the morning's first photo, let me say Papa Lobster was giving me shit about my shirt size over at ADV. I asked Bonebag to make mine a 3XL for Central ADV Rally (CADVR) as they ran small. Papa said he ordered a 3X because that is what he wears. I pointed out most of my t shirts are 2X, and fit fine. He posted a picture of a bulging bellied barely buttoned shirt and said that is not "fits fine!"
This was my rebuttal;

For Kbasa, Adventure Crocs by Mogwai:

You can see by the pictures that Saturday was a bit cloudy, and I took some campground shots.

Here is Wezul

Wezul and Andy

Scotty, a family friend

Lee, Wezul's buddy

Glen, ADV's ysr612

Here is registration.

As it got later, the sun came out and it got hot, but not so humid. We decided to ride to the Mississippi River.
We were going to go back up Hwy 151, heading NE to Hwy A and turn left and ride.
That didn't happen.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

So my buddy Al, is leading. We head out to Hwy 151, and head up and see Hwy A to the right, but no left.
Hmm.
We go 11 miles to Mineral Point, and old Mining town and Historic spot (more on that later), We exit on Hwy 23, and I take the lead heading west and south on any roads we can find. They are nice roads.
OU812 says Hi

(Radio and Hiway pegs? On a BMW? Really? )

Objects in mirror may be goofier than they appear.

Well, we found Hwy A. We also found it was repaved for about 35 miles and smooth as silk, which was a pleasant surprise.
Al wanted Catfish, so we decided to head to where the Great River Road Rally used to be near, the town of Bagley Wisconsin, and stop at the Bagley Hotel. It's over 100 years old.

We all had good food, even though we all ordered something different.
Around 1 pm, we hit the Great River Road, and headed South.
It's easy as it is marked with signs like this;

Many small towns that look a lot like this:

We ended up in Dickieville, and jumped back on 151 to head North back to the rally.

Those riding pictures, we are going 70 to 75 mph. Great fun trying not to drop the camera.We all stop for ice, and head back to rally, to catch up on where everybody rode today.
Andy got in 300 miles, he sucks.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Here are some rally shots from Saturday evening, when it was not so hot.
Mike from MT
in shorts, Grainbelt.

Al sweating in pants.

This skinny guy looks and drinks like Pilot.

Sidecar Tim and OU812 (and his towel)

Scotty, letting it all hang out.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Sunday, it started raining early, so I packed up and shot the breeze until the sun came out. They fed us brats and burgers Friday evening, Continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday, and Turkey Ham and beef Sandwiches Saturday evening. Beer Soda and water and coffee all weekend. Those guys know how to throw a rally. Everybody was gone by the time I left, so I headed North on the campground road, and turned East to back roads.

I stopped in Mineral point, and took a picture of Shakerag Street.

Quote:
Term: Shake - Rag Street (Mineral Point) [origin of place name]

Definition: At Mineral Point the Cornish women at mealtime shook a rag toward the eastern ridge where the men worked at their windlasses to tell them it was time to eat.
[Source: Milwaukee Sentinel, 16 Dec. 1946.]
After Mineral point, more back roads to Dodgeville WI, then right back the way we came. I was home by noon, around 400 miles over 3 days.

Thank you for reading.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
bg
Puppies. Rainbows.

Oddometer: 7,907
Looks like a good time, Roy! Great pictures - I didn't get out that way enough this year.

You hang with some skeery peeps though! Tell Scotty he needs a haircut and a real helmet.
bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Will do, and Thank you.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Looks like great fun!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Looks like great fun!
The ride Saturday was great. The driftless region is very nice for riding, aplus it was too hot to sit still.

When we were in Bagley, we were about 2 miles from Wyalusing State Park, where the mighty Wisconsin River meets the mighty Mississippi.

Great view there.