Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Jacpod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Next Garmin product?

I'm in the market for a GPS, but wonder whether holding off buying a few months will get me a next generation Garmin? Might as well wait while there is snow on the ground...

Any news on a new Garmin for motorcycle use coming out? Thus far I'm thinking of the 276C.

Thanks for your advice.
Jacpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacpod
I'm in the market for a GPS, but wonder whether holding off buying a few months will get me a next generation Garmin? Might as well wait while there is snow on the ground...

Any news on a new Garmin for motorcycle use coming out? Thus far I'm thinking of the 276C.

Thanks for your advice.
I have no hard facts. Conjecture only. YMMV, etc. However, I feel strongly that a transportable (auto, bike, etc.) unit that combines autorouting AND live weather radar is in the works. They already offer that on their large marine units. I'm going to hold out on replacing my SPIII a bit longer...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
GPS are like PCs;
there will always be a faster, cheaper unit just around the corner.
At a certain point in time you just have to bite the bullet and pick the best available at the time.

For motorcycle use I would be considering the GPSmap 276C or SP2610 or Quest

No, I have not heard of a better unit coming for motorcycle use but.....
Yes, almost certainly there will be one within the next 12 months.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
jas_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I have no hard facts. Conjecture only. YMMV, etc. However, I feel strongly that a transportable (auto, bike, etc.) unit that combines autorouting AND live weather radar is in the works. They already offer that on their large marine units. I'm going to hold out on replacing my SPIII a bit longer...
While that would be extremely cool, I doubt that the 'live weather radar' could happen in a car or a motorcycle. AFAIK that feature pretty much requires the large rotating dish/antenna often seen on boats.

Has anybody done any research on what the typical Garmin product cycle times seem to be? Surely the 276c is due for an update soon.
jas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_
While that would be extremely cool, I doubt that the 'live weather radar' could happen in a car or a motorcycle. AFAIK that feature pretty much requires the large rotating dish/antenna often seen on boats.

Has anybody done any research on what the typical Garmin product cycle times seem to be? Surely the 276c is due for an update soon.
Should have said "near real time" in place of "live". I was talking about integrating radar data downloaded from a provider (sat or wifi) and overlaying that on the map screen. There's systems out that do that now but the form factor is still a bit large for a bike.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Jacpod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks you all. I will wait a while--at least until I can ride safely without ice on the roads. But nothing new might come the next two months. We'll have to see...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Read Garmin's annual report and they indicated 60 new products will be introduced over the next year. Didn't give any breakdown on what areas will be targeted, although they did sign a deal with MOPAR.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
RBJ
Ph.D in B.S.

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Should have said "near real time" in place of "live". I was talking about integrating radar data downloaded from a provider (sat or wifi) and overlaying that on the map screen. There's systems out that do that now but the form factor is still a bit large for a bike.
Shouldn't be a big deal, my brothers blackberry has full access to the internet via the cell-phone modem and you can download live weather images. It also has blue tooth and you can send this info out to your other devices. Doesn't seem to implausible to have the blackberry either displaying this info or sending it to a GPS or laptop.
RBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #9
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Can I suggest that adding features like this that require an external limited coverage network (cellphones/wifi etc) is not that helpful in rural areas where you really need it ?

The G means 'Global' and designers need to start thinking that way

I live in the largest city in Australia (pop 4 million) and our favourite 400 km (250 mi) loop just north has no cellphone coverage for 80% of its distance.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
tiefflieger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
There is a system for aircraft that pulls weather from an XM satellite receiver. It's only a few minutes old. Shouldn't be too hard to integrate into an automotive/bike unit!
tiefflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
Asshat
Banned

Oddometer: 2,371
dont know your risk factor but this looks interesting....

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=71&Language=4

regards,
terry
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
get the 276 and start learning to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacpod
Thanks you all. I will wait a while--at least until I can ride safely without ice on the roads. But nothing new might come the next two months. We'll have to see...
as a dealer i get the idea a unit will e discontinued soon after a $50 rebate ends.
there in no rebate on the 276c.
2610 does not look good enough in real life.
don't fret over having to buy a garmin chip,they are not so expensive and it is a one time deal.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #13
Jacpod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Frewhl,

I think I am going to do as you recommend.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
dbsbmr
ADVENTURE MAN

Oddometer: 347
love love my 276c best ever..does everything it is suppossed to...
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #15
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewhl
as a dealer i get the idea a unit will e discontinued soon after a $50 rebate ends.
there in no rebate on the 276c.
2610 does not look good enough in real life.
don't fret over having to buy a garmin chip,they are not so expensive and it is a one time deal.
Good advice. Short of providing weather radar data over the internet, the 276 can't be beaten. Online access may come someday, but how much whiz-bang do we really need in front of us when riding?

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote