User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
raz65man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Noob 1st ride report-- 470 miles/2 days in SNP

Managed to get out and enjoy the last of the nice weather here in Virginia and ride up into SNP for a couple of days.
Started off late Saturday morning from home after my pre-ride checks were complete. After working 30+ days straight I was in need of some time to regain my sanity. You can tell by the look on my face I was ready to get away! This is my ugly mug and my trusty steed Bruiser.

From Lynchburg I headed up 29 to 151 and picked up the BRP at Afton Mtn., just outside the south entrance to SNP. Once inside the park I made my first stop. I needed to warm my hands and stretch out my legs. About 3 miles into the park I pulled off at McCormick Overlook. Beautiful morning for a ride!

After a good dose of nicotene and a look at the map, I decided the next stop would be at Loft Mtn. rest area for gas & grub. There I ran into a man and his wife riding a new Honda NC700X. It looks better in person compared to photos on the net. He told me he was averaging 65-67 mpg riding two up through the mountians. It is on my short list! Still need bigger bags and shaft drive,IMO.

While we were there BS'ing, in pulls a guy on a Honda ST and his female riding partner on a Duc. Did not get a picture of her, but she looked to be as high maintenance as the bike she was riding!

Belly & bike full, I was headed up to Front Royal where I reserved a room for the night. Of course I stopped and took a few pics along the way!
The Oaks Overlook

Doyles River Overlook

Once in Front Royal, I checked in to my room at Super 8 and secured Bruiser for the night. Headed across the street to grab some dinner. Awsome cheesesteaks!

Belly full again it was off to bed early so I could do some exploring before I met up with some fellow Buellers in Haymarket for a day of riding.
Day 2 coming up next.
Raz
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Great Pics. Keep it coming.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
raz65man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Day 2

Up before the asscrack of dawn,did the 3 S's and grabbed some of the hotel's continental breakfast. Bruiser was all loaded up and I was checked out before daylight. Managed to break my right rear turn signal putting my saddle bags on in the dark. Nothing a little superglue didn't fix.

I had 3.5 hours to make the meeting spot 50 miles away, so needless to say, I took the long way! South on 522->211 east-> 15/29 north. Stopped quite a few times for photo ops.

Made the meeting point a few minutes early and waited on the rest of the group. Ended up being 5 of us(4 Buells and a SV) and we headed back to Front Royal and the north gate of the park. We all fueled up in Front Royal and Headed south on Skyline Drive. Found a nice Overlook(not sure of the name) to get some pictures of everyone's bike.
The wife of one of the guys drove her cage and helped us with traffic, which was horrible by the way.
Gas stop in Front Royal

First overlook-too damn crowded!

Ahhh, the perfect spot!

And the group.

After the photo shoot we road south to route 211 and headed east to find some food. About 5 miles we found a roadside burger joint that wasn't half bad.

This is where I decided to break from the group to head home.
More to come.
Raz