User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
DR350 Acerbis Tank Fuel Line Routing

Ok guesI need help. Seems like I am not able to get all the fuel out of my new tank due to bad fuel line routing. Since the petcock is only slightly higher than the carb inlet, it is easy to route the fuel line higher creating flow problem when the fuel level is low but not empty. I know this has been talked about in the past but no one had posted a god routing. Or a picture of a good routing. Most just say, "careful routing is needed". I did read one account of someone routing it behind the carb. But without a picture, am not sure how that will work.

The follwing picture is not mine. But the routing is similar. I have my filter and "Y" in a different location along the line, but the fuel lines follow the same arc. Help.
Attached Images

MrPulldown screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 02:00 PM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

this side is the same
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

bumpady bump help out this chump
Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Cant you just cut of some of the hose on the left side where the filter is mounted, so you dont have such a big bend upwards? The bend will be a little sharper, but it should flow fine.

The hose coming from the right side can be routed down by the intakerubbers.

Try and work a bit with it
Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
aceflyer32
Snoopy

Oddometer: 28
I have also seen 90 degree filters which would give you a better angle on the hose from the filter to the carb inlet. That would get rid of that uphill loop in your line.

Here ya go...

http://www.bikebandit.com/visu-filte...ee-fuel-filter
aceflyer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
$kywalker
what's next?

Oddometer: 156
pic behind the carb

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I have an opinion about the Carb being below the hoses. Gravity/siphon? Will help empty the tank. No filter cause ethenol gas eats them up. Take my chances with the petcock screens ...

This has worked fine for me. I have only ran two tanks thru since I put on the acerbis tank...

Luke
$kywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by $kywalker View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
I also route mine like this and I can drain both sides of the tank
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
achax
Hell Rider

Oddometer: 6
with this routing, is there any heat-related problem with the hose above the exhaust line??
i'm asking because i have the same tank which i've bought used in not a very good condition, but i fixed a couple of leaks with Polyprophilene plastic and now it's ussable, so i want to put it on my bike. i have already figured out about the doughnuts on the engine mounts to hold the tank, i'm gonna use larger bolts with a rubber circle.

sorry for my english, i'm from chile and don't speak your language very well
achax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by achax View Post
with this routing, is there any heat-related problem with the hose above the exhaust line??
i'm asking because i have the same tank which i've bought used in not a very good condition, but i fixed a couple of leaks with Polyprophilene plastic and now it's ussable, so i want to put it on my bike. i have already figured out about the doughnuts on the engine mounts to hold the tank, i'm gonna use larger bolts with a rubber circle.

sorry for my english, i'm from chile and don't speak your language very well
It's not a problem unless you cut the hose too long and it rests on the pipe.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
jpine
Savage

Oddometer: 48
Fule line

Just found this thread after running out of fuel on my way to work this morning..I still had at least a quart of fuel left but poor routing would not let it flow from the tank.. and when I inspected the line, I saw one side was resting on the exhaust and already melted 1/2 way through!

Routing pics are great. I obviously have too much tube. I now need to replace my fuel line, can anyone tell me where I can find clear fuel line?
jpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpine View Post
Just found this thread after running out of fuel on my way to work this morning..I still had at least a quart of fuel left but poor routing would not let it flow from the tank.. and when I inspected the line, I saw one side was resting on the exhaust and already melted 1/2 way through!

Routing pics are great. I obviously have too much tube. I now need to replace my fuel line, can anyone tell me where I can find clear fuel line?
I use Tygon fuel and lube hose (F-4040-A). It's very flexible and doesn't seem to get hard over time. I can't seem to find a good hose supplier locally, so I order it in bulk from McMaster Carr.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,701
I used this thread to help me route my hose. I also took it a step farther on the exhaust side I put that hose coil protector stuff on the fuel line. My header is wrapped and has a heat shield but the fuel line coil will help in keeping the line from Melting.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Follow Up Questions

Great thread, would have been scratching my head for a while if I didn't see the T-setup.

So I just finished installation and it was pretty simple, just some loose-end questions.

1 - The smaller, second fuel line that went from the original petcock to the carb, I assume the choke line??, now has no place to go. I tied it in a knot and now the bike works just fine choke and no choke. Is this what most of you did?

2 - Can someone please explain the gas cap doo-hickey to me? I'm new to this plastic tank thing. The cap has a spring and you can press down but I don't know why. I just filled up and when I press down some fuel comes around the side?. It also came with a clear-purple fuel line, which I assume goes on the nipple on the gas cap, and yet another cap that goes on top of the gas cap?

Edit: It pushes down because it seems to be a MDR system where you can add fuel without removing the cap itself. So I guess the question is do I need a vent hose and if so I just stick it on the nipple and have it extend up a few inches? Doesn't seem secure that way. I also see caps for the top of the vent hose? Yo soy confused.

3 - Did your tank come with a T or Y junction to connect the two petcocks? Mine didn't and I had to go out and buy one at home depot. Why would they not include this?

And thanks!

devo2002 screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 11:26 AM
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Here's how I've done mine. I had the tee-fitting in my tool box, so I just used it to connect the two petcocks together. I should probably insert a couple of in-line fuel filters, but so far so good? The fuel lines are well away from the cylinder fins/exhaust or anything hot or will chaffe.

VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

SO having routed mine behind the carb I took her out to see how many gallons I could run out of the tank. 3.75 was all I could do. Never filled it from empty to test if it really holds 4.2 Still think that I could have gone a tad shorter on one of the hoses and gotten more gas. Maybe next time I will route it behind and below the carb. Anyone else have gallons drained reports.

As of now I only use the left side valve and have the right side one capped off. I was doing a bunch of work on the bike last winter and tired to fiddling with the extra line everytime I took the tank on and off. I have not drained it completly yet to see how much gas I am losing out on. Sure cleans up the routing though.

Oh BTW those MSR cans everyone carrys around as back up fuel is kind of a joke. Most carry the 22 oz version, which is the one I was carrying as a backup the day I ran out of fuel. It is like a drop in the bucket. Got me a couple of miles back into town, but barely. I guess it does beat walking those extra miles. But one or even two of those in a land yacht 1200GS would get you a block down the road.