User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
PacificPT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
motowest,

I wish we had more roads like that here on the central coast, but the pave monster has eaten pretty much everything.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #32
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Great RR.

My mom lives in Redding, maybe I should go visit her via this route? (Sure beats I-5 in the cage all to pieces!)
Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #33
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
Great report! I rode from ferndale on matole rd. last summer and came out on the ave. of the giants after passing thru honeydew. Wonderful ride and views. So many great roads in that area.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #34
PacificPT OP
Studly Adventurer

Didn't write anything about the food on my RR, so will mention three places you should really try to stop at and eat.

Hopland - Blue Bird Cafe

Garberville - Eel River Cafe

Eureka - Golden Harvest Cafe

These three have excellent food, you can't go wrong with whatever you choose from the menu. Just writing about them makes me want to eat at them.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Nice pics and report,Ive been doing Northern CA coast trips since I was in high school, my first motorcycle trips were bashing around at the coast,its a magical area,I never ever get tired of it. I like your off the beaten track campsites.
There are so many squirrly little roads going off other roads over there it would be very hard to ride em all.
Mt rd 1 from the town of Mad River to hiway 299 is another nice one with some off road camping possibilitys along the way. The Unknown Coast is always a good one.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Didn't write anything about the food on my RR, so will mention three places you should really try to stop at and eat.

Hopland - Blue Bird Cafe

Garberville - Eel River Cafe

Eureka - Golden Harvest Cafe

These three have excellent food, you can't go wrong with whatever you choose from the menu. Just writing about them makes me want to eat at them.
Fortuna,Eel river brewery is a nice place.
Eggheads in Fort Bragg is a great breakfast place as is the Hiway 1 Cafe. Dang it I need to do a coast trip. It can be surprisingly fog free in Dec over there,somewhat less motorhomes.
That Hopland grade road is a great one,as is the road to Manchester on the coast from Boonville.
Not many bad roads over there. Thanks again for the report!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
You sure have a good thread going here. Much of the terrain reminds me of parts of Idaho, even near the ocean. You are a good photographer or a guy who takes good pictures. You can decide! lol. Kinda cool seeing an old Grange Hall in your neck of the woods. There are still alot of Grange Hall's up here too. My wife remembers going to Grange Hall dances many years ago. Most have fell into disrepair, but once in a while you can still see one in good shape. Thanks for sharing.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
PacificPT OP
Studly Adventurer

Foot dragger -

I will have to make sure and try those roads next time I am up the coast, hard to go wrong with so many good little wander around roads. The gravel road from Bridgeville on Hwy 36 through Kneeland etc. is one not to be missed.

TheAdmiral -

Most of the photos were taken with a Canon G12. I rarely seem to take the time to get my SLR out even though I have it with me. If I had 5 weeks rather than 5 days I think I would use the SLR more. Just so much I want to ride and see...

Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #39
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
Thumb

...bike looks great PT. Glad you're likin' the KLR.
I am so envious of the roads you have to explore up there!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #40
PacificPT OP
Studly Adventurer

Rapid Dog - Hope you are enjoying the 610!

Ed~ Good to hear from you let me know if your coming through the area.

Any of you traveling through the area having either good food, camping or trail ideas chime in, I will be heading up to the area again next year...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #41
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
Looks like a nice trip!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote