ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I'm going to try welding the bung in the cross over pipe, should be enough flow to give the overall mix there...

We shall see..

Dave
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Vassily28
TheFrenchCanadian

Oddometer: 320
[QUOTE=crazybrit;21740445]Did you make the copper sheet heatsink on page 8 of the manual? I assume you didn't try the heatsink Innovate sells (see below)?

So the old link was not working anymore so:
http://www.ridaventure.ca/index.php?...1/page__st__40

And yep, after fist error codes i've tried the heatsink sold by innovate and it didn't change the over all results. The results was the same error codes. It happened a bit later than previous but still results in impossibility of recording a complet log for the rear cylinder. Like said before, it's probably cause of the proximity with thecylinder and a temperature too high for the probe.

Oh, if you try the heatsink by innovate, don't forget to use a "never sized" stuff cause it is in SS. Dont ask me why, but i know have a M18 tap im my tool box.
Vassily28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassily28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Did you make the copper sheet heatsink on page 8 of the manual? I assume you didn't try the heatsink Innovate sells (see below)?
So the old link was not working anymore so:
http://www.ridaventure.ca/index.php?...1/page__st__40

And yep, after fist error codes i've tried the heatsink sold by innovate and it didn't change the over all results. The results was the same error codes. It happened a bit later than previous but still results in impossibility of recording a complet log for the rear cylinder. Like said before, it's probably cause of the proximity with thecylinder and a temperature too high for the probe.

Oh, if you try the heatsink by innovate, don't forget to use a "never sized" stuff cause it is in SS. Dont ask me why, but i know have a M18 tap im my tool box.

So I talked to Innovate and they said that the bung for the M18 O2 sensor needs to be 24" away from where the header exits the cylinder.

These seem to be your relevant pics from your link above. If I'm looking at them correctly it looks like you reused the OEM AFR bung location for the rear cylinder, that's only 3" away from the header so not surprising that you cannot get a reading on the rear.

-------------

Seems the heat shield is further back on the Adventure than on my 950. I was thinking of mounting into the rear header at the red arrow which is 22" from the rear cylinder (measured). The location is at the exit of the bend right before the 2:2 connection, not sure if that will be an issue?

For the front cylinder I'm not so sure, the ideal location is right next to it but it's blocked by the rear mounting screw for the heat shield.

Anyone have any suggestions?

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #19
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 269
Sorry for lifting an old thread.

I have 2 to 1 exhaust and I'm trying to find best place for the lambda sensor. Any opinions which one of these two is the best place?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post
Sorry for lifting an old thread.

I have 2 to 1 exhaust and I'm trying to find best place for the lambda sensor. Any opinions which one of these two is the best place?

If you put it there (you can if you want to) it will only be reading the combined AFR of both cylinders, i have found with the LM2 that my F&R cylinders were quite far apart.... front was way lean.

After some changes to the front i have them much more in what i feel is a safe range.

I feel both cylinder need to be monitored to do a proper tune.

Dusty screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:36 AM Reason: added last line.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #21
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you put it there (you can if you want to) it will only be reading the combined AFR of both cylinders, i have found with the LM2 that my F&R cylinders were quite far apart.... front was way lean.

After some changes to the front i have them much more in what i feel is a safe range.

I feel both cylinder need to be read to do a proper tune.
Do you have 2-2 or 2-1 exhaust? Sensors are going to be quite close to cylinders if you put one on each before the 2-1 collector. Maybe too close?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

2-2 Arkos

I put the widebands in the stock bungs, stock location for the 990s.

Those are the only options for us, lots of others have done it this way and has worked for them.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

I was thinking of having extra bungs welded in but.... got lazy.

The back i was thinking of this spot.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #24
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 126
种,
what Dusty just said, but also consider both of your suggested locations are after joints in the pipework. In my experience there's a big potential for measurement errors unless the sealing at the pipe joints is perfect.

I mounted sensors in positions close to those used by KTM on the OE pipes when I installed my LM2 on a 950SM.

If you already have lambda sensors, why not disable them and use the OE mountings? Or if you want to maintain closed-loop operation, some of the wideband kits have the capability of emulating a narrowband sensor which can be used directly by the ECU... and you'll still get your wideband data for logging and export as you wish.

24" mounting from the exhaust port is not so easy on a bike. I've mounted many much much closer than this with very few problems. Providing there's a reasonable airflow round the sensor to keep it cool, everything should be good.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Thanks for all the input. Maybe in the future I could do what you suggested and replace the oem-narrowbands with widebands. That could be one interesting test to do.

But for now I opted against all recommendations from people smarter than me, as usual. Let's see what happens. Good thing is that only permanent damage is going to be in the 2-1 mid pipe.