User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #61
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
nearing the end

of our journey I kinda wanted to mix it up so we chose a dirt alternative road near Corona, NM. It was actually pretty boring except when a hawk awkwardly almost flew into Richard almost dropping whatever he was snacking on from his talons.
Attached Images

mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #62
Saulo
Do it.

Oddometer: 115
Mathew, great pics! Amazing that your narrative is a total reflection of what is in my head :-) Specially your comment on being 41 and starting to be yourself (at least, that's how I translated in my head). 42 and on the same path here...
Saulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #63
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
Great report Matt, looks like you guys had a nice ride.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #64
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

our final bit of fun

was riding up the forest roads to Nogal peak and inhaling the last cool pinyon scented air. I really enjoyed this trip. I enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and have already been sniffing around some T.A.T. ride reports because that would be an awesome goal even if I did it in chunks. We will see. I have become a lot more comfortable riding and I have considered my safety.. It's good to have some fear. And it's good to ride within my limits and have fun. Every time I look at a map I am a little more confident in how far my abilities can take me. Thanks for reading and thanks to all the Adventurers out there that inspire me!
Attached Images

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 07:54 PM
Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #65
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

the end

Motorcycling has done a lot of good for my psyche. I am too freaky brained to sit and meditate usually, but being on a bike traveling overland forces me into the moment. I can worry a little bit about the future, but the nature of riding keeps bringing me back to now. After hours of leaning, rolling on the throttle I feel soothed(usually). I especially learned on this trip to stay more present. I am surprised that so many times when I arrive a a location after riding for hours, the first thing I want to do is go exploring on my bike.
Attached Images

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 11:22 PM
Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #66
derrickb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
good job!
derrickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #67
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Motorcycling has done a lot of good for my psyche............... being on a bike traveling overland forces me into the moment. I can worry a little bit about the future, but the nature of riding keeps bringing me back to now. After hours of leaning, rolling on the throttle I feel soothed(usually).....................

Welcome to my/our world.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #68
roberts
GS'er

Oddometer: 436
Fantastic report and photos! Those are some of my favorite places to ride. I can hardly wait to get back to Colorado. Maybe next summer. And your DR is set-up nicely. I've shared your report with a friend so he can see what you have done to your bike.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #69
roberts
GS'er

Oddometer: 436
Have you been to the Terlingua/Big Bend area? There is a good group meeting out there in March. Here is the link to the info .Also, your photos are fantastic!

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67094

Quote:
I can't wait for my next trip. I am finishing writing my first book www.fotomatt.com/music . Then with the money made from this I think I will do a motorcycle travel book. Where should I go????
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #70
Ruidoso Ron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My House!

Quote:
test ride. This is Richard, enjoying the cooler weather of Alto, NM.
Reference post #6

You should have turned into that last drive. That's my front yard on the left! is your father John Sturtevant? He lives up the street from me, on top of the ridge.

'11 Ural GU, named Gobi
'08 KLR650
'71 Bonneville
'71 Honda SL125
'80 Honda CM400

Proper British gentlemen do not venture about on motorcycles after dark. - Samual Lucas

Ruidoso Ron screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 06:55 AM
Ruidoso Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #71
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

yessir

that's right ron! Small world!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #72
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Matt - this is why I read ride reports! People are so open and, shall I say, fearless about their fears. We all have them but most of us won't admit it - thanks for your honesty. My wife and I were in the Durango area last year in August as well, but no dirt since we were on the LT. (I know, if you don't have pix it didn't happen.) My wife was absolutely terrified of the million dollar highway so we didn't attempt it. After reading your RR, I know we would have always felt great about it if we had. But, there's always next year. Great job! Thanks so much.
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #73
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

my new Thunder Pony

I'm gearing up for the next adventure: Here's my new steed. A 2006 with only 2k miles on it already farkled out!! I just need to add a couple things(Pannier Racks, GPS mount, Electrical socket and I am ready to go!//Users/msturtevant1/Desktop/photo copy.JPG

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 08:56 PM
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #74
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Enjoyed your RR. I'm escaping from the heat of San Antonio and heading for Colorado on Sept 8th. Durango is my home town and I've ridden the Million Dollar about 20 times I suppose, Imogene 3 or 4, and Black Bear about the same. If you thought Imogene was scary, you would have puked with fear on Black Bear. As many times as I've ridden it, I'm still nervous on the last stretch above the falls. Also going to be taking a lot of photos along the route from Montrose to Durango for an upcoming article I'm writing, will try to post a decent RR as I go. I'm only 68, getting in as much riding as possible while I can!
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #75
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
I'm seeing 10 pictures, 6 with the DRZ400.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote