The weather is just perfect

I don't even have to take off my helmet when I stop. Just splendid:

mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #92
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Not sure what happened to this large fella

You can see the grass around him is all worn away from all the Coyotes, Foxes, Vultures and whatever else has been feeding on him. Just huge. Reminds me to ride a bit slower in elk country.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #93
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Always more roads to explore around here

Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #94
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Pissed Doh!!!

I was filling my gas tank from a small plastic gas jug and the darn nozzle went glump! Fell right into my gas tank!!!! How in the heck am I supposed to ge that out?

Well, I wasted 20 minutes of my life on that. Maybe I'm smiling because by comparison to the 8 hours I already wasted speaking with Garmin customer service about how to plot routes on my map 60csx. None of the them could figure out how to do it. I don't know why it's such a popular unit among Adv riders. If there was an award for the least intuitive device I've ever touched it would be the Garmin map60csx.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 03:06 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #95
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

New Mexico is Amazing!!

It's hard to drive 5 miles without seeing some dirt road going off to some mountain range or a canyon.

This road led down a vally to a Suzuki yellow flower pasture:

This road went out towards Capitan Mountains. Huge foothills. Looked over to the next ridge and there were beige specs on top...Antelope. So I wanted to get close to see em . I sped up to about 50mph and then made a mistake of looking left to where the antelope were. I hit the sidewall of the rut I was ringing in a ALMOST ate it. Lesson learned!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #96
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

New Mexico is still Amazing!!

In Texas there are mountain lions, but out here I suspect there are quite a few more with so much habitat and a tiny fraction of the people.

Just beautiful roads heading in every direction.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #97
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Taos

Headed towards Taos, kept seeing these every so often, they were all heading east to west. not sure why. Other riders also reported seeing this weird phenomenon.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #98
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

My to do list that day

Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #99
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Duran to Villanueva

I like this this stretch. Whole lotta nuthin, in a good way.

SSsnnnake in the road. I thought about getting the rattle, but....

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 04:11 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #100
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Las Vegas

It had started to rain so I stopped for lunch and on a whim called the El Fidel Hotel. It is a historic hotel so I assumed it would be expensive but, @ $45. I decide to check it out for the night AND they let me park my bike in the courtyard which is locked at night!

Since I had TV, I watched the weather and it said continued rain and even SNOW at higher elevations. Looks like I made a smart choice since I needed to go over a 10,000 ft pass on 518 up over the mountain on the way to Taos. The next morning it was cccold and dreary and so was my mood. I had rain gear, but stopped at Walmart and got some waterproof/windproof thinsulate gloves. Really glad I did this. And umm yeah, I'm the guy on the BRIGHT yellow bike, wearing a NEON yellow, hi viz vest and subtle understated camouflage gloves.

This was my first lump in my throat, freak myself out for no reason session of the trip.I kept gaining elevation expecting the rain soon turning to sleet. It was only about an hour of intimidating weather as I climbed. If you read my first trip's blog you'll remember I'm agoraphobic. This means I can get myself almost to a panic attack just by telling myself some stupid story that is almost never true. I get worked up and start having physical symptoms of someone who is say.... locked in a car trunk.....with snakes. Taking up motorcycle adventure travel is my way of working through this. I'm a long way from riding to Tierra del Fuego. But, trust me, in my head at least I have been some scary places. I never imagine that It'll all turn out fine. I imagine every possible worst case scenario, sliding off the road, lost in bushes injured at 10,000 feet. Silly brain.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #101
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Scary clouds to sunny Skies.

Soon as I crossed over the pass it started to get less dark and wet and the sun started peaking through. Lots of twisties then full on sunshine and my mood took a swing to happy land. Had a tourist snap me with Taos mountains in background.

Had a yummy breakfast burrito at Taos Diner. The owner came up to me and tells me he has a KLR. We talk about different places to ride. Great food super nice guy. He recommended some hot springs. Giddyup!
I plan on going but I needed to say hi to an old friend first- The Rio Grand. Check out these fun switchbacks:
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #102
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

more

I love Taos. It has lured me many times and even by myself I felt very much at home.

The owner of Taos diner recommended that I rent one of these for the night. Better than a hotel and you have to take dirt roads to get to em. Same price as hotel 100% off the grid. Quietest place I have ever slept. Earthship. If someone could make one that didn't look like a Disney acid trip I might want to buy one. Very cool:

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:04 PM Reason: update
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #103
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

More Fun Canyon switchbacks

Panorama of switchbacks:

Regular shot:
Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #104
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Then when I started again I started to slide down hill backwards. Like me, my boots, the rocks under my boots and my bike going downhill in reverse. But eventually found traction and headed up hill afer a few more slippery slopes. KNOCK KNOCK...
Awesome Ride Report, and I love the pics. I just wanted to give you a tip with riding in the Rockies. When going up a really steep slope and you have to stop(and can't throttle out of a situation right away) and you start sliding backwards, use your back brake instead of your front brake, or maybe even both together. It is just human nature to use your front brake first, and some will panic because, OMG you are still sliding back wards faster and faster! I know it is a little awkward using the back brake, but if you can balance yourself and not fall over using the back brake, I strongly recommend it. It beats sliding backwards with your front tire unable to get enough traction to stop you. I learned that the hard way after sliding backward what seemed like forever and a day. Of course you can always not go to those dangerous situations in the first place, but like that is going to happen right? I went back over the places I used to ride up in the rockies with my dual sport bikes last summer, this time with an atv, and I was amazed at how crazy I used to be. I have yet to see any RR with the particular pass I rode on it. I am purposefully not naming it on here because I don't want some rider with a loaded down dual sport killing themselves. I did it three times on two different DR650's and my bikes took many "Rock naps", but sometimes you just can't stop stupid, and I had to do it over and over again it seemed. The views were awesome though. Can't wait to leave my temporary home here in Florida and get back to the good riding! I won't be doing that pass again though. I even saw guys on dirt bikes turn around. I will give everybody a hint, it is a jeep trail in Boulder County, Colorado/ground zero for conservatives.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #105
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
If someone could make one that didn't look like a Disney acid trip I might want to buy one. Very cool:

[/IMG]
What are you talking about?? It looks awesome like this! If it looked like a normal boring hotel, it would have lost its charm.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote