Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I don't know yet. I'm using it just like you. The big selling point for Page Plus was that overage is only $.15/mb. Compared to Sprint, the only data option other than $80/month "Unlimited" is a pay as you use....at $.15/kb. I got nailed for $75 extra last month and did little more than look at a few websites...all month... and forgot to turn data off a few times.
I would feel a little more comfortable if they offered more data options.
Maybe I have an old plan, or maybe it's because my phone isn't really a smartphone- right now my wife and I share a sprint plan, 1300 minutes, unlimited email/data for me (on an old LG lotus), comes to $90 a month, with a few texts at $0.20 each. We're pretty light users. But if I could get her a plan with email, and end up at $60 a month for both of us, I'd jump on it- I've been trying to figure out a way to cut costs- $40 for DSL plus $90 for cell phone per month just seems out of line with how much we use that stuff.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Maybe I have an old plan, or maybe it's because my phone isn't really a smartphone- right now my wife and I share a sprint plan, 1300 minutes, unlimited email/data for me (on an old LG lotus), comes to $90 a month, with a few texts at $0.20 each. We're pretty light users. But if I could get her a plan with email, and end up at $60 a month for both of us, I'd jump on it- I've been trying to figure out a way to cut costs- $40 for DSL plus $90 for cell phone per month just seems out of line with how much we use that stuff.
I double checked and there are some other data options at Sprint but now I remember that for my total voice and text usage, they all pretty much ended up close that $80 I was trying to avoid. Besides that, last contract they told me I had tethering, then after 2 months or so, they said I didn't, and oh, that will be an extra $15/month per line please...
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,850
So my girl is getting a new phone...I'm doing the research and of course have to ask the inmates:

Droid Charge VS LG Revolution, is the Droid Charge worth 100 more and what are the big differences?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Fwiw the droid bionic comes out on sept the eighth....dual core 4g with two cameras!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRocket View Post
Fwiw the droid bionic comes out on sept the eighth....dual core 4g with two cameras!
I told her that but she wanted it right then and got the lg.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #21
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,270
Yesterday I bought an Android 2.2.2 from a friend. It's about 5 months old. She wanted 80.00 for it with the charger and cradle and I made her take 100.00 ( we're both unemployed). The phone also has a 16 Gb card.
I set up on Page Plus and everything seems to be working as it should. While not a computer noob, this smart phone deal is new to me so I have questions and would appreciate a little help.
I'd like to Bluetooth photos from the phone to my iBook with 10.4.11. Is this possible and, if not, could I share with my computer using a hard wire?
Is there a way to transfer music from iTunes on my computer to the Droid, or do I need to buy MP3's from Amazon to load onto the Droid?
Is there a better or dedicated thread for this stuff?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Yesterday I bought an Android 2.2.2 from a friend. It's about 5 months old. She wanted 80.00 for it with the charger and cradle and I made her take 100.00 ( we're both unemployed). The phone also has a 16 Gb card.
I set up on Page Plus and everything seems to be working as it should. While not a computer noob, this smart phone deal is new to me so I have questions and would appreciate a little help.
I'd like to Bluetooth photos from the phone to my iBook with 10.4.11. Is this possible and, if not, could I share with my computer using a hard wire?
Is there a way to transfer music from iTunes on my computer to the Droid, or do I need to buy MP3's from Amazon to load onto the Droid?
Can't help you with the photos but some 11 year old kid on youtube showed me how to transfer music from itunes to my droidx . It was easy and I'm about as inept a person as you'll find with this techy stuff.
crawdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
If you are using a Mac try Doubletwist

If you are trying to transfer DRM protected files you'll need to figure out a different method. If not, Doubletwist is pretty simple.

It's what I use to transfer and sync music and playlists and photos to my phone.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Why won

I just got a new (original first generation) Droid that replaced the one I had that died. Every hour or so, it says, "DROID" which I find obnoxious. My first Droid did this too, but I eventually got it to STFU. Can't remember how though. Any ideas?

edit: The original died after all of the battery fluid leaked out and fried the internals. Left a stain on my counter top too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
MrBob
Jambo!

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post

If you are trying to transfer DRM protected files you'll need to figure out a different method. If not, Doubletwist is pretty simple.
I clicked the link and liked it, even got kind of excited for a minute, and then...

The free doubleTwist desktop app requires MacOS X 10.5

I have 10.4.11
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
I clicked the link and liked it, even got kind of excited for a minute, and then...

The free doubleTwist desktop app requires MacOS X 10.5

I have 10.4.11
Bummer.

You can do it the manual way with a USB cable (the phone will determine which cable you need - mini or micro USB)

Plug the phone in. You'll get some version of a prompt to mount the phone as a drive ("enable USB storage" in my case)

Once you have the phone mounted as a drive it'll pop us as drive icon on your desktop. Mine shows up as No Name.

Double click on the drive. You should find a folder named "Music" in there. That's where you are going to drop the music you want on the phone.

Now go to the drive you have your music on - probably "Macintosh HD". If you use iTunes go to (double click on each of these folders in order) itunes -> iTunes Music -> Music and drag any music you want from your computer and drop it in the "Music" folder mentioned above. Drag entire folders (generally named by artist) or drill down to individual tracks and drop them in. You can select multiple folders by holding the "command" key (4 leaf clover looking icon next to the space bar) and then single clicking as many folders as you want so you can drag them all over at once.

You can transfer pics or videos the same way. Videos go in the "video" folder and photos go in "images"

When you are done eject the phone drive on the desktop either with the eject icon to the right of the drive if you have it open in the Finder or by holding the control button and clicking on the drive icon to bring up a dialog box and select "eject".

Unmount the phone - undo what ever you had to select to mount the phone on the phone in the first step.

Launch the music player app and see how you did.

Like I mentioned in the first post, DRM protected songs won't transfer.

Apologies in advance if any of the info was too basic.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #27
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post
Bummer.

You can do it the manual way with a USB cable (the phone will determine which cable you need - mini or micro USB)
Apologies in advance if any of the info was too basic.
No worries about that.
I planned to get a mini USB cable tomorrow and I'll try what you outlined. I think the biggest barrier is that my OS is too old and my computer not Intel based.
Today I was able to Bluetooth and email photos from the phone to my iBook. I was also able to stream music to my phone from Amazon Cloud. The sound through the headphones was quite good.
When I try to Bluetooth music from my iTunes to the phone it pairs with the computer but won't connect with it.
My goal to use the phone to play music through the stereo in the Jeep while I"m on the road.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #28
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I just got a new (original first generation) Droid that replaced the one I had that died. Every hour or so, it says, "DROID" which I find obnoxious.
Are you sure it isn't notifying you of incoming emails or messages? Check your notifications and see if the sound is set on Droid.

Bluetoothing photos from the Droid to my iBook is actually pretty easy. I haven't tried sending them in the other direction.

The Android phone really burns through the data and I used up my Page Plus allotment in one day and had to buy extra.

The Android is an interesting device and I like it but I'm going to sell it or trade it for an iPhone. I'm not making comparisons, just much more comfortable with the Apple operating system.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #29
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Are you sure it isn't notifying you of incoming emails or messages? Check your notifications and see if the sound is set on Droid.
Went in and changed the settings. That default "Droid" announcement is annoying.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #30
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,998
Quote:

The Android phone really burns through the data and I used up my Page Plus allotment in one day and had to buy extra.
Something is wrong there. I looked yesterday and in 20 days in my first month, I still have 36mb left. Pleasantly surprised, some days I used it for and hour or so of forum reading, some days not at all.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: