ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #181
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Joe,
I'm shopping too. I use http://findoncl.com/ and the flea market here. I have seen a number of interesting bikes, and some for really good prices if you're willing to drive a few hours. The hard part about that is you've got to be ready to call & get there asap because "deals" don't last long.

I just let my #1 choice slip by because it was 7 hours away and $500 more than my budget. Two days later I'd sqeezed the piggy and was ready to drive, but it was sold. Now it's that much harder, mentally, because I probably won't see that year of that bike for that price...

You have the advantage of not being zero'ed in on a specific model yet.

Happy shopping,

ps When you search remember to try different "spacings" and spellings because you'll find more listings that way. Like "DRZ400, or DR-Z400, or DRZ 400" , etc. Try "dual sport" , "street legal" , "plated", etc. too. Also, try the dealer listings too because occasionally their prices aren't bad, except they'll probably try to add tax.

GlennR screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 11:39 AM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #182
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!
 
SidewinderX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,102
Awesome Joe. Hope you find what you are looking for.







Looks like me and two SC inmates will be riding Maple Sally, Globe, Hwy 105 area on Sunday. Meeting in Lenoir at McD's at 10:30-11ish.
__________________
Daniel
What would you attempt to do in life if you knew that you could not fail?
SidewinderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #183
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!
 
SidewinderX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Joe,
I'm shopping too. I use http://findoncl.com/ and the flea market here. I have seen a number of interesting bikes, and some for really good prices if you're willing to drive a few hours. The hard part about that is you've got to be ready to call & get there asap because "deals" don't last long.

I just let my #1 choice slip by because it was 7 hours away and $500 more than my budget. Two days later I'd sqeezed the piggy and was ready to drive, but it was sold. Now it's that much harder, mentally, because I probably won't see that year of that bike for that price...

You have the advantage of not being zero'ed in on a specific model yet.

Happy shopping,

ps When you search remember to try different "spacings" and spellings because you'll find more listings that way. Like "DRZ400, or DR-Z400, or DRZ 400" , etc. Try "dual sport" , "street legal" , "plated", etc. too. Also, try the dealer listings too because occasionally their prices aren't bad, except they'll probably try to add tax.

Sweet Husaberg! Hope you can get that one in GA. That would be a monster!
__________________
Daniel
What would you attempt to do in life if you knew that you could not fail?
SidewinderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #184
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
Sweet Husaberg! Hope you can get that one in GA. That would be a monster!

That's the one I missed. Trying to find a bike that has a chance to keep up with you. Maybe I should just buy a dust mask instead.

When you guys feel like heading this far West, TN line, I've found some trails & a FSR that need exploring. One ride starts up Stone Mtn off 421 near Mtn City, goes along the ridge through the woods and exits through some logging trails. I got stuck in a mud hole there last time, but maybe good riding if you are careful to stay out of the mud. I rode there the previous week and exited via a road which was actually a stream for about 1/2 a mile.

I've found some nice riding on Beech Mtn too.

The FSR I found goes from near Watauga Lake up the Elk River and drops down into Elk Falls, and exits through the town of Elk Park. There's a river crossing, so you've got to be willing to get a boot or two soaked unless you're really lucky.

I was riding alone each time I found these places, so it wasn't safe to really explore much. Uh....come to think about it I actually got in trouble at two of them. Cracked a radiator at Beech Mtn, and got so stuck in the mud on the logging trails I eventually had to hike out and beg/hire a quad to pull me out. He didn't want to take my money, but I was so happy to get the help. Besides he'd borrowed his neighbor's brand new Foreman and snapped a strap while pulling, and even recruited a neighbor kid when he went back home for another strap....I was extremely appreciative!

I'd like to take my Rancher to these places, but it's sort of a hassel to haul and deal with parking the truck & trailer compared to just jumping on a dual sport and zipping over there. I think the locals ride more quads than bikes though, from the tire prints I've seen.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #185
FishHunt
slow poking...
 
FishHunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Asheboro, N.C.
Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
That's the one I missed. Trying to find a bike that has a chance to keep up with you. Maybe I should just buy a dust mask instead.

When you guys feel like heading this far West, TN line, I've found some trails & a FSR that need exploring. One ride starts up Stone Mtn off 421 near Mtn City, goes along the ridge through the woods and exits through some logging trails. I got stuck in a mud hole there last time, but maybe good riding if you are careful to stay out of the mud. I rode there the previous week and exited via a road which was actually a stream for about 1/2 a mile.

I've found some nice riding on Beech Mtn too.

The FSR I found goes from near Watauga Lake up the Elk River and drops down into Elk Falls, and exits through the town of Elk Park. There's a river crossing, so you've got to be willing to get a boot or two soaked unless you're really lucky.

I was riding alone each time I found these places, so it wasn't safe to really explore much. Uh....come to think about it I actually got in trouble at two of them. Cracked a radiator at Beech Mtn, and got so stuck in the mud on the logging trails I eventually had to hike out and beg/hire a quad to pull me out. He didn't want to take my money, but I was so happy to get the help. Besides he'd borrowed his neighbor's brand new Foreman and snapped a strap while pulling, and even recruited a neighbor kid when he went back home for another strap....I was extremely appreciative!

I'd like to take my Rancher to these places, but it's sort of a hassel to haul and deal with parking the truck & trailer compared to just jumping on a dual sport and zipping over there. I think the locals ride more quads than bikes though, from the tire prints I've seen.
Is that the FSR that is closed/gated at Elk River Falls? I love to fish that area and wouldn't mind seeing more of it on 2 or 4 wheels.

<>< Fish
__________________
V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
____________________________________
FishHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #186
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Is that the FSR that is closed/gated at Elk River Falls? I love to fish that area and wouldn't mind seeing more of it on 2 or 4 wheels.

<>< Fish

Yes, that last gate was the only one closed. I passed 5-6 open gates from the side I eneterd on. I wouldn't have ridden in there if it had been closed, but after crossing the river and having a soaked boot I decided to ride around the gate at the falls and ride home one the roads.

The FSR is pretty tame, but it's pretty long and crosses a number of creeks & there were a number of intersections that seemed to head uphill towards Beech. I don't know if any of them connect to anything or exit onto roads, but I suspect one or two might from looking a google maps of it.

I don't think it would be wise for many bikers to enter from the falls end since it's closed. Wouldn't want them to close off the other gates. Maybe the rangers just don't want through traffic & mainly 4x4's tearing & trashing up the woods.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #187
FishHunt
slow poking...
 
FishHunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Asheboro, N.C.
Oddometer: 1,298
Thanks for the info. Where did you pick up the FSR in Tn, off of Poga Rd? So the only closed gate is the one on the NC side of the line?

I'm not really looking for a new place for OHV fun but I am looking for better access points to the river for fishing.

<>< Fish
__________________
V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
____________________________________
FishHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #188
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Thanks for the info. Where did you pick up the FSR in Tn, off of Poga Rd? So the only closed gate is the one on the NC side of the line?

I'm not really looking for a new place for OHV fun but I am looking for better access points to the river for fishing.

<>< Fish

It's a couple of turns off of Poga Rd. But from that end the river appears way down from the FSR, like it's a gorge. You have go almost to the Falls end before you get down to the river. The center portion of the FSR seems to spread farther away from the river and about 1 mile or so above the falls it seems to get closer to the river again. There was an intersection there and maybe that trail headed towards the river sooner.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #189
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!
 
SidewinderX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,102
Glenn, we will come visit you one Sat or Sun so you can show us around. This Sunday ride is going to be normal paced. Not my normal..... Bring the XT and join us. :)
__________________
Daniel
What would you attempt to do in life if you knew that you could not fail?
SidewinderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #190
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
Glenn, we will come visit you one Sat or Sun so you can show us around. This Sunday ride is going to be normal paced. Not my normal..... Bring the XT and join us. :)
I'd like to, but I'm heading down to Cornelius on the PC800 on Sunday. Don't want to be riding in the cold, so I'll have to leave midafternoon. I'll have to catch you guys next time.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #191
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!
 
SidewinderX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,102
Had a good ride yesterday. I learned a few valuable lessons about a KTM990 and dirt.

1- A 400+ bike can drift fairly good.
2- 120Hp makes it hard to find adequate traction.
3- While you are digging ruts in the road, if you gear up to 4th it will bog the motor enough to gain some traction.
4- Once it gains traction in 4th, YOU BETTER HAVE IT POINTED IN THE RIGHT FREAKIN DIRECTION.
5- 85-90 MPH makes things intense on dirt roads....
__________________
Daniel
What would you attempt to do in life if you knew that you could not fail?
SidewinderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #192
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Daniel,
Glad you lived to tell us about it. I hope whoever was riding behind you had good gravel protection!


The Husabergs I've been calling about haven't worked out, so I'm taking a look at a plated WR450F tomorrow. Don't know if it's what I want, but it's worth a look and will probably be pretty easy to resale if I don't emotionally connect with it. Seems like I'm just ready for a blue bike....unless the right orange one crosses my sights.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #193
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhampton1 View Post
Hey folks!
Still no leads on my missing XR, however, I think the insurance company is going to come through for me on this one- I am in the market for a bike, some sort of big dual sport, open to any ideas- I have been watching the sales forum on here, but nothing has struck my fancy yet- Thought I would check with the locals and see if any of you have anything in the garage you might part with- I am looking in the $3500-$4000 range, however, that is negotiable depending on what you may have! I hope you are all well, and I look foward to riding these roads again soon!
-Joe
Joe, Sorry to hear that your bike is gone, but at least you're getting a reasonable settlement from the insurance company. I've found that you normally get what you pay for in a bike, especially here on ADVrider. One of the Bergs that GlennR missed out on was my buddies. A friend of mine bought it Saturday while watching us install a Rekluse in my 2010 FE450. My recommendation on Bergs...buy the 1st plated FE that you can find, because they will only get harder to find in the future.

Regarding getting what you pay for...I wouldn't let my pristine plated FE450 (FMF Factory 4.1 Ti, Rekluse, White KTM plastic, GDR suspension revalve/respring, Scotts SD, and a ton of other extras) with 45 hours on it, go for less than $6500. Evidence below (pure bike porn!). Buy one and you'll never look back.





Really looking to get my sand flea arse up there and ride with you hillbillies soon.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #194
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost
 
pieeye's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Daniel,
Glad you lived to tell us about it. I hope whoever was riding behind you had good gravel protection!
As long as you dodged the initial launch you were fine since after a second or two he was so far gone that it didnt matter anymore .....matter of fact by the time I'd catch him waiting at the intersections I was so far behind that it wasnt even dusty any more!

Daniel - Thanks again for leading us around yesterday, it was a great ride!
__________________
'13 BMW K1600 GTL
'09 DR650
'71 Hodaka Ace 100 - Long Distance Touring Machine
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #195
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Joe, Sorry to hear that your bike is gone, but at least you're getting a reasonable settlement from the insurance company. I've found that you normally get what you pay for in a bike, especially here on ADVrider. One of the Bergs that GlennR missed out on was my buddies. A friend of mine bought it Saturday while watching us install a Rekluse in my 2010 FE450. My recommendation on Bergs...buy the 1st plated FE that you can find, because they will only get harder to find in the future.

Regarding getting what you pay for...I wouldn't let my pristine plated FE450 (FMF Factory 4.1 Ti, Rekluse, White KTM plastic, GDR suspension revalve/respring, Scotts SD, and a ton of other extras) with 45 hours on it, go for less than $6500. Evidence below (pure bike porn!). Buy one and you'll never look back.


Really looking to get my sand flea arse up there and ride with you hillbillies soon.

There's a place in PA selling 2011 FE570's for $7500, which makes it hard to spend much over $5000 for a used one regardless of the farkles & mods. I know the Husabergs are great bikes, but whenever you buy a used bike you have to "hope" it was treated right. Also buying one that's got racing #'s on it let's you know that it wasn't babied, although it was probably well maintained. I agree that the Husabergs are quited underpriced, compared to the KTMs.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014