ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #196
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
There's a place in PA selling 2011 FE570's for $7500, which makes it hard to spend much over $5000 for a used one regardless of the farkles & mods. I know the Husabergs are great bikes, but whenever you buy a used bike you have to "hope" it was treated right. Also buying one that's got racing #'s on it let's you know that it wasn't babied, although it was probably well maintained. I agree that the Husabergs are quited underpriced, compared to the KTMs.

I vote for the 2011 FE570 and you let me break her in "proper".....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #197
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
There's a place in PA selling 2011 FE570's for $7500, which makes it hard to spend much over $5000 for a used one regardless of the farkles & mods. I know the Husabergs are great bikes, but whenever you buy a used bike you have to "hope" it was treated right. Also buying one that's got racing #'s on it let's you know that it wasn't babied, although it was probably well maintained. I agree that the Husabergs are quited underpriced, compared to the KTMs.
Those numbers on my bike have nothing to do with racing. I'm a founding member of the Area 51 Crew, hence the number. They are there to provide protection for the plastics on the Berg, which are a little more expensive than the KTMs. They're also there to support our NC HSB dealer up your way Genuine Dirt Racer, who is Powersport Graphix.

So an old A rider who doesn't race, but rides trails every weekend is easier on a bike than a C racer?

I looked at the 1 in GA that you lost out on as well. I'd say that it was treated much worse than my buddies or mine. Just look at the number of hours it had on it versus the miles 40 hrs and 2000+ hours = flogging ...plus it had been down at speed, and had zero add ons minus the Renazco seat.

15 hour valve checks and 7.5 hour oil changes on my bike. All documented...nope it's completely ragged out.

$600 Suspension work this past winter
$600 Rekluse install last weekend
$450 Scotts SD
$400 FMF Factory 4.1
and a bunch of other stuff. None of that's worth anything??????????

Agree with SX...Ride Blue!!!

Good luck with your search.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 09:03 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #198
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,880
I wasn't insulting your bike or any of the others I've looked at. I was just mentioning the natural concerns of buying anything used. As far as the racing numbers go, I have no way of knowing what they "indicate", other than some type of racing.

Farkles are nice, but how much value they add to the bike is debatable.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #199
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Thumb New Bike

Just picked up a sweet looking 08' WR450F that's plated. It's not the Berg that I was hoping for, but it has quite a bit of pep. It came with an extra Acerbis gas tank and a nice billet rear rack. I don't know how it'll do as a dual sport, but will find out soon. I have always liked Yamahas.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #200
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Just picked up a sweet looking 08' WR450F that's plated. It's not the Berg that I was hoping for, but it has quite a bit of pep. It came with an extra Acerbis gas tank and a nice billet rear rack. I don't know how it'll do as a dual sport, but will find out soon. I have always liked Yamahas.
Congrats. PM me the details of the WR you bought. They are flat out tractors.

Always wanted a plated WR to Rally out. About as hard to find as a good used Berg. At least it's Blue.

Oh, and farkles are what BMW riders put on bikes that only get dirty going to and from Starbucks. No offense to BMW riders. I consider all the accessories on the Berg to be essential to optimum single track performance.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #201
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Sweet! When are we going to Elk River?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #202
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

[QUOTE=Tarheel Wheeler;18209245]Congrats. PM me the details of the WR you bought. They are flat out tractors.

You can probably tell I don't a lot about "details" , besides "it looks good, sounds good, & seems to run good". I think it's peppy enough to scare me for the first few rides. The seller gave me a fat WR450FX Owner's Service Manual and some reciepts from the original owner. It has Zeta hand guards, a RackIt Billet rear rack, a "just Barely" dual sport light kit, a GYT-R AIS kit & Titanium DB fuel screw. Also, the Acerbis tank (don't know the size yet). The wheels are Excel "something" polished aluminum. The airbox snorkle (or something rubber) was removed, and an electrical "box thing" (I'll have to check it out) were included in a spare parts box.

The rear tire is a Dunlop knobby, not a 606, looks almost new. Front doesn't look so new, but not really bad, didn't notice brand. I haven't looked over the sprocket sizes yet. Air filter is nice and clean. Not sure how to check the oil level yet, but I found a cute little dipstick. Chain looks okay, but isn't really clean or well lubed looking.

The chain seems to be slapping the swingarm some, hopefully it's just too loose.
Not sure about the exhaust, think it's stock. Sure has a nice powerful Grunt. I can tell it's a high compression engine. I'm interested in seeing how the 5 valves are acutated.

It seems like the bike's been uncorked, or at least somewhat.

What other details are good to know? I don't have any idea about the valves or carb jetting.

I will swap the tires out to d/s tires, sooner or later. I've been happy with the Kenda & IRC ones I've tried, any of you guys have a favorite that you'd recommend? You guys probably like knobbies best, but I really didn't like how difficult the 606's were to mount on my Suzuki and the d/s tires will run longer, smoother, & grippier on the paved backroads.

I'm not really into spending big $ on upgrades, but I'm sure this bike would benefit from a steering damper and a Rekluse clutch. I'll likely upgrade to a Seat Concepts seat first, but I'll spend a few hours on her before I decide.

Well, I guess I'm off to TT to read about WR info....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #203
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
Sweet! When are we going to Elk River?
Sometime soon. Let me know when you're heading this way. Are you into jumping off gigantic waterfalls? I won't follow you there! (I've got a "condition".....I'm a Big Puss!!)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #204
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Quote:
Sometime soon. Let me know when you're heading this way. Are you into jumping off gigantic waterfalls? I won't follow you there! (I've got a "condition".....I'm a Big Puss!!)
lol, Ive been known to do stuff like that before.....

I actually have a print of Elk River falls in my office at work. I was meandering a few years back and found the place. Very scenic!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #205
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
lol, Ive been known to do stuff like that before.....

I actually have a print of Elk River falls in my office at work. I was meandering a few years back and found the place. Very scenic!

Well in that case I'll bring a camera & a first aid kit. We could bring a "bottle of courage", but I'd get too drunk to walk before I get drunk enough to jump. Something about getting smashed on the rocks below makes me nervous....

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #206
kickstand72
i just ride.....

Oddometer: 222
[QUOTE=GlennR;18210841]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Congrats. PM me the details of the WR you bought. They are flat out tractors.

You can probably tell I don't a lot about "details" , besides "it looks good, sounds good, & seems to run good". I think it's peppy enough to scare me for the first few rides. The seller gave me a fat WR450FX Owner's Service Manual and some reciepts from the original owner. It has Zeta hand guards, a RackIt Billet rear rack, a "just Barely" dual sport light kit, a GYT-R AIS kit & Titanium DB fuel screw. Also, the Acerbis tank (don't know the size yet). The wheels are Excel "something" polished aluminum. The airbox snorkle (or something rubber) was removed, and an electrical "box thing" (I'll have to check it out) were included in a spare parts box.

The rear tire is a Dunlop knobby, not a 606, looks almost new. Front doesn't look so new, but not really bad, didn't notice brand. I haven't looked over the sprocket sizes yet. Air filter is nice and clean. Not sure how to check the oil level yet, but I found a cute little dipstick. Chain looks okay, but isn't really clean or well lubed looking.

The chain seems to be slapping the swingarm some, hopefully it's just too loose.
Not sure about the exhaust, think it's stock. Sure has a nice powerful Grunt. I can tell it's a high compression engine. I'm interested in seeing how the 5 valves are acutated.

It seems like the bike's been uncorked, or at least somewhat.

What other details are good to know? I don't have any idea about the valves or carb jetting.

I will swap the tires out to d/s tires, sooner or later. I've been happy with the Kenda & IRC ones I've tried, any of you guys have a favorite that you'd recommend? You guys probably like knobbies best, but I really didn't like how difficult the 606's were to mount on my Suzuki and the d/s tires will run longer, smoother, & grippier on the paved backroads.

I'm not really into spending big $ on upgrades, but I'm sure this bike would benefit from a steering damper and a Rekluse clutch. I'll likely upgrade to a Seat Concepts seat first, but I'll spend a few hours on her before I decide.

Well, I guess I'm off to TT to read about WR info....
Your going to have so much fun. First check the valves. Mine have not moved on my 2004 250 but check them every oil change to be safe. I shoot wd 40 around the valve cover gasket to keep it soft. chain is going to slap. at the back of the swing arm protector pull the chain up and it should be about 2 inches of play ( i cut a piece of scrap lumber 1 7/8 if i cant get it inbetween the chain and protector its to tight) and check that protector every chain ( ive replaced 2. j.d. jetting for jets and needles. fmf power bomb = awesome bottom end. always run high octane fuel ( race gas will reward you to).
2004 YZ250F
kickstand72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #207
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

[QUOTE=kickstand72;18218653]
Quote:

Your going to have so much fun. First check the valves. Mine have not moved on my 2004 250 but check them every oil change to be safe. I shoot wd 40 around the valve cover gasket to keep it soft. chain is going to slap. at the back of the swing arm protector pull the chain up and it should be about 2 inches of play ( i cut a piece of scrap lumber 1 7/8 if i cant get it inbetween the chain and protector its to tight) and check that protector every chain ( ive replaced 2. j.d. jetting for jets and needles. fmf power bomb = awesome bottom end. always run high octane fuel ( race gas will reward you to).

David,
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to get rid of the chain slap, maybe an adjustment will lessen it some. I'll change the oil & check the valves asap. But I'm not really looking forward to checking the valves every oil change, it looks time consuming. How long does it take, after the first time? I might have to pick up a few gallons of race gas for kicks since the gas station I use in Cornelius has it, but I haven't seen it around Boone and I'm too cheap to pay for it often anyway.

Before I put funds into power mods I'll most likely be trying to tame it down for dual sporting. It will probably need a better seat and probably a steering stabilizer. The seat was my first concern with the DRZ. Nothin' worse than a sore butt! Funny how so many bikes come with bad seats, can't blame that on the EPA....
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #208
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Checked the valves and they all perfect. A buddy came up to visit and we rode dirt 3 days & road one day. The WR450 was great off-road, plenty of power and a soft suspension that really tames the rough stuff. On-road it's so-so, I wouldn't go too far on it. Besides the full knobbies the TPS (throttle position sensor) needs adjusting, which causes the engine to run rough when cruising at highway speeds. I've temporarily unplugged it until I have the time to fix it. It's really tight around the carb, about 1/2 of it is behind the fat aluminum frame member. Looks like I need to pull the carb, but I believe that it's supposed to be running while adjusting the TPS. I'll have to study the manual a bit more on that before jumping into it.

The Stone Mtn ride that I'd hoped would be fun turned out to be much rockier going the opposite direction (uphill from the TN side). I'd only ridden the easy direction a couple of times before, and even the little XT225 with d/s tires could handle it without any problems, but I knew it couldn't go back up a few of the hills I gone down. My buddy wasn't very happy with that route, especially since I got a little lost in the maze of logging trails.... The route is easier to navigate going downhill.

We rode down along the Elk River a couple of the days. Checked out all the side trails, most of which are relatively short and are for servicing the power poles. There were a couple good hill climbs, but we couldn't follow them very far because my friend's rear tire was the Metzler DOT knobby that came on is new Berg 570 and it was a sad excuse for a knobby. The bike only has 320 miles and the tire is ready to throw in the trash. It's okay as long as he's not trying to go uphill...

I've come to find that the WR is a very thirsty bike. Oh well, it came with an Acerbis 3.3 gallon too. Maybe it can go 100 miles with that.

Looks like the weather man's calling for rain this weekend, darnit.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #209
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Howdy everyone... the NC Tag is in the area, andmy bike is in Asheville, dammik!!!!

Someone go grab this

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post18309292
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #210
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo View Post
Howdy everyone... the NC Tag is in the area, andmy bike is in Asheville, dammik!!!!

Someone go grab this

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post18309292

I live just a few miles from there. How does a "Tag" work? Do I get a prize or something? Or do I get to choose the next location?

It's an easy one to find I'll probably be too late if I wait till after dinner.