ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #61
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red F View Post
I won't be making it this week. My sister is in town so we're hanging out at the house.

I'm not going to get to do much riding the next couple of weeks, but I'll try to make the next Thursday.

Welcome to the foothills Fancy!
Thanks! I will be there tonight! Sonic in N.Wilkesboro? 6:30?
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #62
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo View Post
Thanks! I will be there tonight! Sonic in N.Wilkesboro? 6:30?

Yep, the one on Hwy 421 just above Wal-Mart. 6:30ish.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #63
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,008
I'll have meet up with you guys sometime. Always good to meet new folks and to learn about more good roads to ride. I live on the west side of Boone, going towards Watauga Lake.

I pick up a couple of dual sports last fall, an XT225 and a DRZ400S. I'm thinking about swapping the DRZ for a second 225 though since it seems to suit my needs better. Sound crazy, but the Yamaha is better on the roads than the Suzuki. I guess it's because it has a 6 speed and less wind resistance. I've actually ridden the little bugger on the I-77 from LKN to Hwy 901 exit! I'm sure I looked like a nut! But the little bike will go 70-75 mph just fine....82 mph in a full tuck! My street bike needs tires & the clutch line's been leaky, and I haven't have time to get her street worthy this summer. (Pulling the front wheel is a PITA on a PC800, because of the pretty plastic...) I'll be getting her back on the road within the next few weeks, hopefully.

I'll probably be a bit of a "misfit" riding the 225 or the Pacific Coast along with you guys, but every group needs somebody to pick on! Might as well be me..... I'll just have to decide if I want to be "the guy with a trunk" or "the guy with only 16 hp". I'll flip a coin...

I'll see you guys down at the Sonic sometime.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #64
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I'll have meet up with you guys sometime. Always good to meet new folks and to learn about more good roads to ride. I live on the west side of Boone, going towards Watauga Lake.

I pick up a couple of dual sports last fall, an XT225 and a DRZ400S. I'm thinking about swapping the DRZ for a second 225 though since it seems to suit my needs better. Sound crazy, but the Yamaha is better on the roads than the Suzuki. I guess it's because it has a 6 speed and less wind resistance. I've actually ridden the little bugger on the I-77 from LKN to Hwy 901 exit! I'm sure I looked like a nut! But the little bike will go 70-75 mph just fine....82 mph in a full tuck! My street bike needs tires & the clutch line's been leaky, and I haven't have time to get her street worthy this summer. (Pulling the front wheel is a PITA on a PC800, because of the pretty plastic...) I'll be getting her back on the road within the next few weeks, hopefully.

I'll probably be a bit of a "misfit" riding the 225 or the Pacific Coast along with you guys, but every group needs somebody to pick on! Might as well be me..... I'll just have to decide if I want to be "the guy with a trunk" or "the guy with only 16 hp". I'll flip a coin...

I'll see you guys down at the Sonic sometime.
No misfits here. You and Hambone can have a slow race.....

Dont take my internet spew as being serious. Come on down. Anybody is welcome. It is 90% rider anyway.

We had actually discussed having a tune-wrench night. You may be a great candidate for that...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #65
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Either work late today and tomorrow to have Monday or not?? Choices....Hopefully I can make it in two weeks. Have a great time.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #66
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Tune-wrench night sounds good, but I'll have to pull the plastics beforehand. That's the PC's biggest downfall (no surprise there), and each year it gets more delicate and harder to find replacements. Thankfully it doesn't need wrenching on very often.

Is there a tire changing setup, or should I let the shop do that?

"OT", but lately I've been seeing cool looking artfully designed bikes that are custom made from old and/or salvaged bikes. I haven't seen them on the road, but I have found them on the web using "Stumbleupon". I'd like to try my hand at making one sometime, maybe. I wonder if there are any guys around our area who have made them? ADVrider isn't the right forum for it, but there must be one for those guys. I don't know how they get titles & tags for those bikes. Seems like a good way to drink a whole lot'a beer!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #67
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Hi all! Ride safe and stay outta the severe thunderstorms! Still in Elkin, but red and yellow cells on the radar over me and near N. Wilkesboro. They look like they may be clearing soon. If so, I will head west and see of I can find you!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #68
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

Not a drop in the sky here in Wilkesboro......

It all fell on me..... Lmao
Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #69
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,137
Wow, we haven't seen a drop of rain in a month here in weaverville. My grass is brown, and it dosen't recover if you walk on it.

I need a raindance. Damn I wish I wasn't so white!

Please rain, come my way, i will ride in it even if it comes!
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #70
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
Wow, we haven't seen a drop of rain in a month here in weaverville. My grass is brown, and it dosen't recover if you walk on it.

Try 1) watering the grass
2) washing the car
3) plan a BBQ, or even better an outdoor wedding

If that doesn't work you should consider moving up towards Boone. It rains too much up here. Sometimes I even need a little self-medicating to fight the depression from all the rain! Seriously, that is one of my excuses.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #71
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post

Now Jonathan...you of all people should know that I will ride in red cell thunderstorms! Remember the hurricane on Hurricane Creek last summer (where the trail became a creek and the creek crossings became rivers?!) That was such so great ride! But, my hillbilly ways just won't let me leave my house in the middle of cracking thunder, lightening all around, and rain pouring down! I don't want to be accused of not having the sense to get in out of the NWS Severe Thunderstorm Warning...much less purposefully going out in it! I do hope you get some rain soon! Crunchy brown grass is not good!

For those of you at the meet up, I am going to guess that if I left now I would get to NW about the time you are wrapping up. I am very sorry to have missed this one! Hope the storms have moved on/dissipated for your rides home.

On another note...if anyone its riding this weekend, please let me know! I am definitely up for one!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #72
SidewinderX OP
Hey, watch this!

It was good to meet everyone last night. New faces and more Eurotrash to eyeball......

Great ride last night. Actually great conditions for everyone who could avoid the thunderstorm cell on the way in. We found a new that ROCKED. Ended up going all the way home in mostly dark conditions, watching closely for deer but it was fun nontheless. I actually behaved for hambone on the way back...... BORING......

Sorry if any of the rocks that I threw off the back of my wore out road slick hurt anyone going up the dirt roads.....

Riding this weekend is out for me. Im taking the kids to Dollywood.....

But, lets plan a dirt ride around Linville- Wilson Creek on sat Sept 10th- 11th.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #73
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Sorry I missed you guys. Planned to go but work got in the way. Actually I was on my way and got called back.
You should thank me. Every time I ride it rains and it follows me around. Yes it rained a couple of hours here in Clemmons.
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #74
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Had another great ride and more new faces. Missed the ones who didnt make it. Sidewinderx had a great time throwing rocks at everyone. Who knew that steet tires would rooste ya. Thats the last time im slowing down to let sidwinder back in front.
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #75
kmw
Adventure. Er...

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone650rider View Post
Thats the last time im slowing down to let sidwinder back in front.
I'm surprised you knew where he was, once we hit the gravel I forgot there was anyone in front of us

Really did have a great time meeting and riding with those that braved the weather. I told Sidewinder that we'd planned on coming down from Boone via Darby and 268 but that those plans went bust due to time...once we got to Wilkesboro we saw that it would have put us in the centre of that lightning storm

I don't know if you guys saw it when we stopped at the Trading Post and she took her helmet off but I've never seen her so excited after being on the KTM...said the gravel was a little scary but the light to the gravel was perfect Sounds like she and I need to make a few rides from Linville Falls to Lake James (Old Kistler Highway/Old 105), or maybe a few trips down Sampson, to start getting a little more comfortable riding 2-up in the gravel...

kmw screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 08:38 AM
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote