Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
after an awesome boat ride...
We missed you at the Ferry Terminal in North Sydney. You missed a good Photo op

Enjoy the rest of your ride!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #138
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,703
Another fine day!

Another great day of riding, we rode the rail beds and also around Red Indian lake on the North side. Spent a total of about 8.5 hours in the saddle today and didn't stop for lunch, mostly because there was no place to stop for lunch. Tomorrow will be the South side of Red Indian lake with the final destination being Gander and then continuing on to Twillingate on Saturday. Only one Team Turtle Recovery Unit (TTRU) event today, Dana's knee is a little tweaked and her big toe nail is a little blue but she will survive and ride on...more to follow on later when Smugmug is back online. Of course I got pictures of the TTRU event
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #139
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,070
Day 13: Trailway, Red Indian Lake and Burgeo

So the day started off gloriously over a cup of Timmy Horton’s coffee with fellow inmate Fortech. He’s got this mighty fine steed which is first foray into Adventure riding from the sportbike world! No doubt that he’s already been out and about as he wanted to know where that bridge was from yesterday’s post.

Deer Lake:

Anyhow, we did one section of the Trailway (old Railroad track) from Howley to Millertown Junction. The section technical begins in Deer Lake, but RFlagg reported last year many falls in a short distance due to the deep gravel.

Almost everyone knows that railroads tend to be straight…very straight roads.

Finally, a big-ass bridge for a big-ass bike!

Even when the camera drops down the triple tree, it still takes good photos!

However, there is fascinating life along the way. Alas, only one moose, and no caribou. However, we met this gent from Nova Scotia whom eagerly offered us to come inside for some tea.

Hard to see from the photo, but there is a 5 ft tall Innuchuck (sp?) (stone rock formation in shape of human) on top of this hill:

Later on the trail, we met this group of seniors whom were doing just about the entire track for their vacation! God help me I am still going strong like them in another 30 years!

The area surrounding the track has slowly begun to revitalize. Mostly, it appears to be retreats and cabins, but there also appear to be some newer permenante homes. These were the most colorful ones:

The gravel tended to be deep in the center, but otherwise was good track. Speed was about 35KPH max though. Anyhow, one of the less challenging obstacles of the last 2 weeks ended up causing quite a ruckus and a TTRU event. There was a small washed out culvert that I was approaching too quickly (and with my head up my ass).

First a bit of prelude. My front brake has been icky for a few days. First is was “grinding” and then it would be extremely soft. As we thought it might have air in the line, we left the brake lever compressed overnight. WA LA! The brake is now functioning as designed. And therein lies the issue. In every bad incident, you usually need to do more than one thing wrong. So, I’ve been a bit coarse on the front brake for the past few days, and today the combination of too much speed and now correctly functioning brake sent me locking that tire. With my head still up my ass, I let off the brake and that was all she needed. I got off and watched it skid then flip. I was very fortuitous that bike stopped skidding before it the water…I do think that a orange GS not only properly marks the obstacle, and (almost) fills it in.

After the TTRU team extracted the bike, we popped the lid of pannier and re-secured it…good as new.

Although the dirt road around Red Indian Lake appears to follow the lake closely, the lake itself is mostly obscured by folliage except for a few spots where you see this:

The remainder of the day was rather relaxing. There was no place for fuel or human food. Made Burgeo for the evening.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Dorito screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 04:04 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #140
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Today's schedule

Headed for Gander today and our last gravel/dirt road for the trip. Its asphalt for the rest of the trip. Weather outside is raining with winds in the 30 to 50 KPH range...not a lot of fun!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #141
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
good thing them turtles have strong shells glad ur ok Dana
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #142
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
good thing them turtles have strong shells glad ur ok Dana
+1
Good job getting off before it tossed you.
Just let the bike nap on the other side, that'll fix your pannier.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #143
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrider View Post
good thing them turtles have strong shells glad ur ok dana
+2
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #144
Fortech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
OUCH !!

Glad to see you up and about after the spill, and no major damage had been done.

A few hours after leaving you guys that morning, I got a call from my supervisor asking me to check on some infrastructure approximately 31 kilometers East of Howley on the Rail bed. You guys were likely long gone, but around 2 pm I was...

And travelled as far as...

And while you guys headed in for breakfast I stole a pic of...

Once again it was nice meeting you, and I hope you both get home safely.
Fortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #145
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Day 14: Burgeo to Gander

Today started off quite dreary. The fog had rolled in overnight, and was trapped between Burgeo and the mountains. It was a good 90 mins of riding off, before we were out of the fog.

We swung through the provencial park in Burgeo and since it was so fogged in we didn't pay to enter. However, in the right weather it could be very nice.

We took the other (east ) side of the lake and had a hoot. The dust was far less, as were the chuckhole gardens. The track for the most part was 80 miles of fast dirt. Only past two cars and three atvs.

I do imagine with more rain, this red clay could get quite slimy to ride, much like a greased pig...

However, this was the last leg of gravel and signal that we are more than ½ way done in both time and distance. Millertown is the last gravel we are suppose to ride.

Lance's favorite section, gravel to asphalt...also Blaster's saddest.

While we still have a few coastal tourisita things planned (B36 crash site and some coastal towns), NLFD is due to catch the tail of the hurricane by late weekend. Funny enough, we get a few American TV channels and all we hear about it the 35 Million that will be affected by the hurricane. They aren’t even really talking about getting the rain up here!

Yesterday, Blaster was not overly enamored by the trailway. However, as we were totting down the trans-canada highway today he did ponder where the next track entrance might be. I do have the enitre trailway loaded in the GPS should we endevor. Who knows, we might just saddle up in the morning and spend the next 3 days riding it to Saint John’s!

Dorito screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 01:47 PM
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #146
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Fortech,

We had definitely already passed there but that's funny we rode it the same day and took some of the same pictures! It was a good ride yesterday!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #147
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,272
uh, that would be St. John's, if you tell the wrong travel agent Saint Johns you'll end up in New Brunswick
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #148
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,780
I guess, I need to buy Dorito a beer or three. How do know when to bail? I am a dumbass and ride them all the way in.

Glad you are OK.

Beautiful ride. Wish I had gone.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #149
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Tire update

Just a little update on the tires, we chose a TKC for the front and a Heideneau Scout for the rear of both bikes. We have done quite a bit more offroad than just a simple blast through the TLH and the tires are holding up well. All this mileage has been done in two weeks.
Mileage in Kilometers

Mileage in Miles

R1200GSA tires
Rear

Front

F698GS tires
Rear

Front

Heading to Twillingate today.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #150
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,272
is that the GPS on your 1200? I like the fuel odo, plus how are you liking the Heidenau's? My local shop in St. John's (Toy Box/Avalon Motorrad 709 726 6500) just started carrying them and have a couple of fresh ones in stock if you need any.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote