User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #121
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,750
Day 11: Gros Morne

The nicest cabins we've stayed at thus far. No WIFI, but spacious and indoor plumbing

It rained most of the day, so very few photos from today. Most of the scenic views were clouded over. We did drive to the Rocky Harbor Light house,

Had lunch overlooking Norris point. Spent a an hour or so at the Gros Morne visitor center (drying off and uploading photos). We’ve had little luck with WIFI since hitting NFLD.

Entertaining myself while waiting for uploads...

At Wiltondale, we thought we’d try to find the sink hole. I had three GPS tracks loaded which should have led us there. Track one started poorly, as it was clearly somewhat abandoned with foliage overgrowing what should have been a vehicle road. Less then ½ click down the 6KMs path, we see this:

Dukes of Hazard Style Maybe?

I thought the lighter and nimble F798 would easily traverse this replacement bridge:

However, we were not so optimistic about the heavy wide-ass BMW. The heavy wide-assed BMW a quick dirt nap (in fact so short no time for me to take a photo) took before returning to the tarmac.

Next was the GPS track was bit challenging given the rain. The hard pack is comprised of sand and granite. The sand gets saturated and gets a bit loose. We also had gained quite a bit of altitude before we realized that we off the GPS track. The only “turn” we missed was more aptly referred to as a goat trail. About this time a Bell Atlantic truck appeared. It made me feel like a wimp as he didn’t have nice dirt tires or even look like the truck had 4WD. He did indicate we were on the wrong track, and they only route he knew of was Whitewater Drive (catch it from Wiltondale).

So, off to trek on the tarmac for the remainder of the day. Woody’s Point and Trout River.

Before Trout River, there is an area called Tablelands. Basically, it is a huge gorge carved by the Glacier. The name Tablelands makes me think of Wizard of Oz and the monkeys…

At the second visitor center, we met this couple. They are from Italy, and about we all got out of them with the language barrier is they own a few Ducatis. So mind as well give them a SMIB sticker for their rides!

Will it ever stop frickin' raining?

By this time, it was 1700 and we had been in the rain for most of the day. So we bunkered down at last year’s cabin at Lomand River.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #122
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Day 12: Marble Moutain

So, it looks like we will be all caught on ride reports through today!

So, Blaster was undecided that he wanted to trek anywhere today. However, given the nice weather forecast (Looks like Hurricane Irene will be hitting NFLD in T-4 days? ), we decided to push forward.

I was able to scour the ridetherock.com forums and discern that gravel roads do exist. I plotted a nice 80KMs route which should have ended in the back door of Deer Lake. And then we ended in Marble Mountain instead... It turns out that the roads are fairly well maintained (and somewhat marked) for the snow mobilers. While we only did one track, we passed by many more.

For the most part, the road was absolutely fabulous. We only passed a a handful of cars, and that wasn't until early afternoon. We've probably seen some of the most untouched parts of Gros Morne.

At some point, the route turns off the main road. It's considerably more rutted, and less used. About 3 clicks down the trail, we traverse down a very rocky, steep and loose. I was very, very happy to not need to activate TTRU despite some hairy moments. I was also thankful that hill was now behind us.

Not long down the trail, we run into this bridge:

Despite it's somewhat sketchy apperance, it walks quite solidly:

We end up walking each bike over, as the deep grooves would have been something to ride. Again, I am very thankful that we are over this bridge. Only another 7 KMs until our next turn and hopefully back to some decent roads.

And then comes this:

We do find an alternate route, a bit downstream:

Nothing left to do other than get some water in those fancy boots. I was able to find a path that never gets above my knees (and I have short legs). However, as the path has progressively gotten worse and not knowing if this was the last obstacle, we decide to fold.

Now there is nothing to do other than retreat. Walk the bikes back over the previous bridge, and the up the hill of terror. Blaster walks a nice line up the hill of terror. However, his bike had entirely different thoughts as it skipped all over..but it went up. I needed TTRU recovery. But all back to the main road and recalculate a route to TLH1. The nearest entrance point is Marble Moutain.

But after a quick stop at Tim Hortons for lunch, we decide to try our hands at the zip line. Marble Moutain Zip tours is the second largest zip in Canada.

This kit looks like it needs some humans..

The course, 9 zips total

An eager patron

As long as I am wearing a dunce helmet, mind as well act the part..

Rest of photos here: http://blaster11.smugmug.com/Other/S...ummer-2011-D12

Dorito screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 03:54 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #123
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Thanks...Dorito really likes that picture as well.
it is really a great picture that lends itself to being "seen" in many different ways:

Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #124
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,169
WOW ...NOw just the 2 of you. ADVENTURE GRANDE!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #125
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
WOW ...NOw just the 2 of you. ADVENTURE GRANDE!
We aim to please! Dana has one more video ofthe last and fastest part of the zip line...guys my size can get up to 80kph!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #126
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,749
I knew you couldn't resist the call of "Tim Hortons".
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #127
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

One last zipline vid: This is zip #9 (last one).

Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #128
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I knew you couldn't resist the call of "Tim Hortons".
No joke, tonight's camping spot (while a bit noisy to traffic) is less than a 5 min walk to "Timmys".
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #129
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
One last zipline vid: This is zip #9 (last one).
If you had told me you were going to have that much fun I might have gone

Now that looks like fun
Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #130
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Not as cool as a zipline

I made it to my Newfoundland retreat

My three days in Heart's Delight on Trinity Bay... no Internet... but I did get mobile service and as such, ended up working 4 hours prepping my sites for hurricane Irene.

not complaining... I like the work with this view

from the living room

and on the deck

Had a great time...
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #131
Fortech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post

But after a quick stop at Tim Hortons for lunch, we decide to try our hands at the zip line. Marble Moutain Zip tours is the second largest zip in Canada.
Saw you guys as you entered Tim's for lunch (I was the one fueling the KLR). I was reading this thread last night and immediately recognized you guys as you pulled in the parking lot.

Enjoying your report thoroughly and hope the remainder of your trip is a safe one.
Fortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #132
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Now back in the States

after an awesome boat ride... I made it to Calais ME 14 hours later. Reservations at the International Hotel - I stayed in this very room 12 years ago.

the other side of the river is Canada

I'll be offline for the rest of the trip... family time.

I should be posting my full ride report in a week or so.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #133
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
Saw you guys as you entered Tim's for lunch (I was the one fueling the KLR). I was reading this thread last night and immediately recognized you guys as you pulled in the parking lot.

Enjoying your report thoroughly and hope the remainder of your trip is a safe one.
You shoul have come and chatted! If you come by before 0800 I will give you a SMIB sticker site number 8.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #134
Fortech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
You shoul have come and chatted! If you come by before 0800 I will give you a SMIB sticker site number 8.
I had just left the office to visit a field site when I decided to take a detour home to grab the KLR instead of using my truck. I was running a little late.

I usually grab a coffee at Tims on the way out of town each morning around 7-ish.. I'll try and swing by for a quick chat.
Fortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #135
Backlash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Comfort Plus

[QUOTE=GSA_PILOT;16704933]after an awesome boat ride... I made it to Calais ME 14 hours later. Reservations at the International Hotel - I stayed in this very room 12 years ago.

I will bet the International Hotel has thinner matresses than the 16 inchers on the ferry that you had soooo much trouble with.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote