ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Oddometer: 174
Shoe Creek NOT closed (But probably will be soon)

Update: Shoe creek is not closed. But the trail is in pretty rough shape (YAY!), lots of baby head rocks mixed in with the usual crags after the 3rd water crossing. And it may be closed soon.

Original post:
Rumor that shoe creek was closed due to all the assholes wandering off trail and onto private property. Anyone confirm? May check it out this weekend. :-(

[TASF]Overkill screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 06:09 PM
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TASF]Overkill View Post
Rumor that shoe creek was closed due to all the asshole wandering off trail and onto private property. Anyone confirm? May check it out this weekend. :-(
Source? A quick check of Google in the past 30 days shows several club rides.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Coworker whose husband is a major 4x4 nut. You know the kind, 4 jeeps, only one of them running. I have heard talk about the trespassers and the threat of shutting it down for the past few months.

Sounds like I need to do a run out there to confirm.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Coworker whose husband is a major 4x4 nut. You know the kind, 4 jeeps, only one of them running. I have heard talk about the trespassers and the threat of shutting it down for the past few months.

Sounds like I need to do a run out there to confirm.
Hope the rumor isn't true. Haven't ridden up there in a long time and am anxious to do the Sherondo-Shoe Creek-radio tower-Long Mountain loop soon.
crossEDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Waddya doin' this weekend?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Quote:
Waddya doin' this weekend?
After I change oil in the 450 in the early morning, hoping to ride.....

or

after Sunday Worship is over (10:00am), hoping to ride.

If leaving home base at 10am, ETA Sherondo would be noon or ETA Montebello would be 12:30

Particular day/time that works better for you?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Oh, you're from up north of there, eh. Don't know that there's a way to meet that makes sense, unless we meet at north end of big levels. I've not done that.

That would save Shoe Creek for a descent from Montebello if it's open.

Sunday would work best for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

From Richmond actually so I trailer the bike to the launch site.. No preference on staging other than the Shrondo end being 30 minutes closer for me than Montebello. I've also used Long Mountain as well as the Pedlar area as launch points. Same 2-1/2 trip for me as Montebello but probably closer for you. I'm flexible on launch point but prefer using trails over riding pavement. I think we've probably ridden the area before. If Sunday weather looks ok and a Sunday afternoon trip works for you, shoot me a PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Yep, I recognize the name. :-)

Lemme know what time to be at Long Mountain, that's certainly best for me. I've PMed you my phone number so you can text at last minute or whatever. If you can't make it, no biggy, I'll have company.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,510
Be good to know, hope it's a rumor. We were up there in early summer and could tell several 4x4's had been off the trail..... stupid Jeepers.
How ya' been Ed?
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

No text messages... Assume we're on our own. Gotta bolt my skid plate back on and then I'm heading that way with Jim.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

Did the usual Long Mountain -> Alhambra -> route... and encountered no gates on Shoe Creek. Also didn't encounter any other souls. It was really rough, with lots of baby head rocks after the third water crossing all the way to the North end. I had to keep up the KLR's momentum and use its weight to sail over things, but often found that there just wasn't a good line to ride. I enjoyed it, however.

Jim (Dolanrio) on the other end... was not so fortunate. He has a bit of a love hate relationship with Shoe Creek. All was well...
From Random ADV pics

until we hit the constant baby-heads. I think his DRZ might be geared too high for his pace of off road riding, and possibly his clutch is a little too unforgiving. But we both think his suspension is set up too hard. A bump sent him hanging off of the back of his seat, and he tugged a little too hard on the throttle on his way back. Lost front-wheel traction during a mini-wheelie on a slight uphill of rockiness and the bike happily clawed its way up the side of the trail... into a tree.
From Random ADV pics

He took a chunk out of the tree (bits were found splintered into the bead of his front wheel) and on the lower axle mounts, but mostly the tree took a chunk out of his bike...
From Random ADV pics

His radiator took the brunt of the damage. Don't know how much his rad guard helped him. His hose connection was leaking...
From Random ADV pics

but I didn't snap a pic during the drip... I thought we were screwed. Not sure if the hose got pinched and just needed to get tightened a bit to stop leaking or if it got torn. Or if it's not supposed to be oblong. We knew we couldn't do anything with it on the trail just then (burn ourselves, lose more coolant), so we decided to just go until there were problems. Somehow we made it out and up to Montebello just in time for the cafe to close without any issues. After a short break, we headed home in a hum-dinger of a lightning storm / torrential down pour and had margueritas and too much Mexican food in Mad Heights.

Shoe Creek is still open, but the trail is in bad shape. I don't know why they close trails that are in bad shape, but this looks like a prime candidate for that. The usual evidence of trespassers is... evident... on all the little side trails. Not sure who to talk to about its status or see what I can do in the name of "maintenance" to help. I trashed out a Lowes bag that I found, so I did my part. :-)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[TASF
Not sure who to talk to about its status or see what I can do in the name of "maintenance" to help. I trashed out a Lowes bag that I found, so I did my part. :-)
I agree we should do whatever we can to promote responsible access to the area.

With that said I wouldn't lose sleep over access to Shoe Creek. The road has massive historical access connotations and roads that provide access to private in holdings are near impossible to close. Yes knuckle heads still go off trails and yes it does run next to wilderness boundary.

Here is a map.. all that is white is private land:

Glad to hear it is still open and I hope to ride with you all there one day. It is one of my favorite trails in VA,
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
[TASF]Overkill OP
VRSATL

I could see the owners of the property around the trail actually driving the closure of the trail. Gate it, give keys to the owners. That sort of thing.

There's that one house up there, not sure how it would get its mail if the trail was closed to all!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Rerun ?

Quote:
I could see the owners of the property around the trail actually driving the closure of the trail. Gate it, give keys to the owners. That sort of thing.

There's that one house up there, not sure how it would get its mail if the trail was closed to all!
Thanks for the ride report. Hate that I missed it! Hope there'll be a repeat sometime soon. Glad to hear it's presently still open. Got mixed feelings about limiting access. On the one hand, if I were a landowner having issues with tresspassers, I'd want that eliminated. On the other hand, restricting access to a public road to eliminate tresspassing compromises my access to a public road. That points to more robust enforcement as a solution rather than limiting public access.

Let me knowwhen you're planning another ride up there.