Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Wildabeast OP
Wide Open

Oddometer: 264
Good coffee and how you brew it?

Like most things, the more you get interested, the more you learn about higher quality, the more you strive to get there.

Or whatever...

In the last year or so I've become pretty interested in the process of and the result of making damn good coffee in the morning. I have a lot of ways to brew: Breville espresso machine, stovetop espresso maker, multiple sizes of French presses, decent drip machine...and most recently an Areopress, which is rapidly becoming my favorite cup.

As for beans, that's one reason for this post. I've been drinking a few different Starbucks roasts, mostly their espresso roast, which tastes good to me. I burr grind the correct amount of beans right before my brew.

What are you drinking that you make yourself? Any beans that are killer and accessible? Any tricks to brewing or pieces of equipment that make the experience better? Seeing that I drink two cups a day, every day of the year, I want to have the best cup I possibly can.
Wildabeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,678
find a local roaster, grind right before use and go from there.
Equipment eventually will need to be upgraded! ;)
oh, grinder is more important than the espresso machine. (if you like espresso)

Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,271
Some info here

http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

I use a french press at home & pour over on the road.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
River
Gee

Oddometer: 213
Love my coffee.
I have friends in Mexico that send me my favorite coffee
http://s71.photobucket.com/user/_riv...5bdd0.jpg.html
My second fav from NOLA
http://s71.photobucket.com/user/_riv...3cb27.jpg.html
I have the Gaggia Titanium for making my brew, if not a french press is used
http://s71.photobucket.com/user/_riv...e1728.jpg.html
Old 01-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 991
I've been using my aeropress with a nice fresh grind of good coffee (I use kicking horse).

I haven't bought a coffee for a couple of weeks now, I'm really liking the aeropress!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Roast your own. Can be done very cheaply - but takes a bit of practice (popcorn popper or heat gun and bread maker to stir). I roast with a Gene Cafe (not so cheap) but looking to upgrade. Brew with a Gaggia Classic and sometimes Aeropress.

I order green beans for $5-6/lb, mostly from Sweet Maria's. Starbucks coffee is really bad. Find a local roaster with the roast date on the bag and try to use within a couple of weeks of roast date for optimal freshness.
jgbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,853
The whole "what beans" is like motorcycle oil - you have to find out what you like and then buy it.

Me, I don't like Starbucks, but I do like Peets.

I think the best coffee is using a filter cone, fresh boiled water and fresh ground beans, but I use a machine as I want several cups in the AM

Go to local shops, taste their brews and find one you like and support a local business. I buy beans in 5 lb bags from my local coffee shop.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,678
I roasted for years with a regular deep pan and a wooden spoon.. the one thing important when home roasting is having a good cooling seat up, beans need to cool down fast when you finish roasting after the second crack. I had an strainer on top of a little garbage can with a hole in the bottom hooked to a vacuum cleaner.. It worked like a charm!! :)
Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
jredford
Ninja Racer

Oddometer: 883
I used to roast my own coffee, the hideous smell learned me to stop this practice.
FZ1 2006
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Nothing too fancy here. I buy Starbucks Italian Roast beans and grind them right before I brew. I use a Krups drip machine. Thoughts of those first few cups of coffee and the local newspaper together help get me out of bed every morning.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I don't like starbucks, mabye because they're just good at marketing but don't actually make good coffee.

I buy from a local roaster, but as far as brewing it, I used to use a french press for years, but didn't like the cleaning process of it after using it each time.

Now I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Finum-Brewing-...brewing+basket

I've been using it for about a year now and it's my goto brewing method for everything from home, travel, and camping. It works very well, it super basic, cheap, pretty compact, and easy to clean.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any stretch, but I find this makes a very good cup of coffee. I used to roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's before finding a local roaster.

The only thing I don't like about the brewing basket that I posted, is it's made of plastic. I'd like to find one made of something else, simply because I don't like the idea of any plastic touching any of my heated foods/drinks, not because it has any effect on the brewing or flavor.

Edit: I just looked up the price of the Aeropress again. For some reason, I thought I remembered it as being near $100. I must have been mistaking that with something else, it's less than $30. I'm gonna have to try one out and see what the fuss is all about.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”

Piston screwed with this post 01-10-2015 at 10:18 PM
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,967
My wife LOVES her Toddy brewed coffee. Me, I couldn't give a rat's wazoo because I don't drink the vile, bitter, nasty stuff. But she swears that by cold brewing, there's virtually no bitterness, and every one of our guests that drink her coffee are effusive about the "smoothness" of it.

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #13
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,270
Get an Aeropress, any old shit tastes awesome with it! And with a good fresh grind..........................sublime
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
I got an Aeropress a month ago and am having a hard time getting a good cup out of it. Any suggestions on how to make it?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
Wildabeast OP
Wide Open

Oddometer: 264
Anyone ever brewed Dean's Beans? A few MA friends absolutely swear by them.

www.deansbeans.com

Might be ordering a LB of the medium-dark blend to run through the Areopress.

On the topic of the French press. It was the daily cleanup that was getting to me. After each use there was the sink bottom full of grinds, the clogged plunger screen, it just became a pain. I love a good French press but the ease of use and clean up from the Areopress has been really nice. And the taste of coffee is exceptionally good and smooth.

I'll be running something other than the Starbucks through it after these beans are finished.
Wildabeast is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: