User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #151
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,685
The 2 track back to the road from our campsite was a bit rough. There was a step that I was worried was going to take a few attempts but we got it on the first try (you can almost see it in the distance in this photo):

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #152
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
I forgot these... Driver and passenger window wind deflectors.

http://www.sprinteraccessories.com/0...deflector.html

Lets you leave the windows down about three inches without rain getting in when you are camping. Keeps cab from completely fogging up cause you still have a cross flow of fresh outside air.
I've been considering them... in this photo you can see the condensation on the window when we woke up the next morning.
I'm thinking the installation of the overhead maxxfan will take care of this

Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #153
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
We just got back from 3 days of Adventuring in the van

I really need to get some AT tires for this thing... and find a limited slip rear differential...

...more photos to come.
You might wanna contact Randy's Ring and Pinion about getting either a limited slip or something along the lines of a Detroit Locker for your Sprinter. I tried to see if there was an Aussie Locker available and didn't find anything under their drop-down model-selector chart that resembled either the Dodge or Mercedes vans .. sorry.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #154
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Truetrac if you can get it. Much better around town than a locker.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #155
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,332
Lots of newer vehicles have electronic slip/traction control, where a computer uses the ABS sensors to determine if one wheel is slipping and then pulses the brake on that single side to divert torque to the other wheel.

Works extremely well if the software is done right. Not as good as a full locker, but IMHO better than lots of the crappy clutch-type limited slips out there. Might check and see what MB puts on those rigs... And see if you can get a electric or pneumatic activated full locker rather than a limited slip for the real messy stuff.

But of course the best technology in the world isn't going to help without decent tire traction... What size tires can you run on the van? My all-time favorite Touareg tire is the Nokian WR (latest version is now the WRG2), which I think comes in a size that will work on your Sprinter. Great winter traction, good off road, excellent on the highway, etc.... A bit harder to find. I'll probably put Goodyear Duratrac's on the F150, but only because Nokian doesn't make the right size for it.

pfb screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 10:33 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #156
Geek OP
oot & aboot

The sprinter does have ASR traction/stability control (I had it kick in a few times floating the rear end around some gravel washboard corners) but I'm not sure what it does to contribute to traction...

Tirewise I'm likely going with the BFG AT's. I've talked to some guys with outside van conversions with them and they work well for them.

This is what is on it now...

Geek screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 06:57 AM
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #157
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,301
Geek, what's the underside like on the Sprinter? Is there a need for some bash/skid plates since your exploring those back roads?

Can you go up on the sidewall size with the BFG's to get an extra inch or so without messing up the speedo/ecu data?

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #158
Geek OP
oot & aboot

There is a full foot of ground clearance stock.

Those gents who buy the Krystal conversions & such must never leave the interstate ..the last thing I want is to lower the thing.

A lot of guys put batteries, water tanks, & such under their sprinters & I might consider such things but *only* if I don't lose any ground clearance.

I'm sure any tire size alteration will screw with the speedo.. not sure if I can compensate for it with the scan gauge or not I'll look into options when I'm ready to buy.. I don't mind throwing the speedo off it'll get me some extra clearance.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #159
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Tirewise I'm likely going with the BFG AT's. I've talked to some guys with outside van conversions with them and they work well for them.
If you go with the BFG AT KO's, I'd check to see if the size you are looking at has the "severe snow service requirement" rating (the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall). Most sizes do, some sizes do not!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #160
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
While the BFG AT KO has the severe snow rating and the snowflake symbol on it, it is NOT a true snow/ winter tire and BFG is actually taking that symbol off the tire. Even though it meets the current RMA standards for a snow tire.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #161
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'm actually considering running the BFG AT's for 3 seasons.. and having the conti's studed for winter duty.

Haven't decided for sure yet
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #162
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,357
I have run BFG AT's on vehicles for years and they are my tire of choice.

They seem to wear well and have good traction. In mud they don't work so well but what does, other than real mud tires.

I think they would work out great for you Geek.

Marc
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #163
Tindjin
Old No. 7

Oddometer: 589
If they make it for your rear axle get something like an ARB air locker so around town you can have it off (open) and out in the boonies you can turn it on when you need both rear wheels hooked up.

Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment.
--Dag Hammerskjöld
Tindjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #164
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

One of the things I love about the Nokian WR's is they *are* great as a four-season tire. I'm sure part of it is the truck, but they have been superb on the Touareg running back and forth to WP over Berthoud in even the nastiest Winter storms. No matter how hard I push, they seem to stick and stick, \ then give a super predictable and recoverable slide right at their very high limit. I think they would probably suck in thick mud, but for a Colorado tire (paved freeways and canyons, jeep roads, imbedded rock, and SNOW) they quite simply rock! High load index too. If they made them in F150 size, I'd buy them for that truck again in a second.

I've heard that the Snowflake rated tires do vary wildly. I'm hoping to find a tire that works as well as the WR in a something close to a 295/65/18. Leading candidate, as I mentioned before, is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

--- update---

Hey look! They even use a pic of the Sprinter on the web page for the WR-C, their cargo van WR!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #165
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:

Does anyone know anywhere within a weekend's reasonable drive of LA which feels anything like this? I know the terrain will be different, but no matter how hard I have tried, I've never been able to find that kind of seclusion in a spot where I can take my van. I always seem to have a constant stream of motorcycles, ATVs, and jeeps streaming past wherever I camp. I assume that's just life in socal, but it sure would be nice to actually be able to get away from it all for a change.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: