Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 124 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #31
heffe
#$%^&U*&^%$#@

Oddometer: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
It is not an adventure unless you have to shit outside.
heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #32
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,559
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #33
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Subscribed, this thread could very well be the pitch I need to get a Sprinter.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #34
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,048
Since this is to be an adventure van, I will pass on what I have done to mine that I believe to be the best mod(s)...

First, when you go off pavement in a van that runs 70 PSI bicycle tires, the vibration will tear your van up in short order, it is brutal. I mounted BFG all terrains, which gave it an agressive look but really didn't do much to smooth out the ride, until I bought these...

http://www.blueyfab.com/pc/STN-SCVHD...-+15+to+55+PSI

Be sure to get the ones rated for the RV pressures (15 to 55). I have mine set to 30 psi. With the weight of the sprinter 30 seems to be just about right. This gives you the sidewall flex to get compliance across all the rocks and erosion stutter bumps you get into. Your van will thank you. They are expensive, but the convenience and function are worth every penny. If thieves swiped mine I would get more right away.

So.. you say, now that I have flattened my tires for off road use, how do I drive the highway miles back? Well, I hate gas station air pumps, so I mounted a Viair on board air system.

My install thread.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4720

Buy the best one you can afford (highest volume - duty cycle)

These two things have expanded the usefulness of my Sprinter more than anything else. It can go more places with more comfort, safety and durability and you don't have to rely on anyone else to hook you up for air. Plus, if you pack a plug kit, you can save yourself when you get flats.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #35
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,048
I also transitioned from carrying the bikes inside for any trip that was longer than a day trip. The gas smell always got to me. Stinky stuff outside, comfy stuff inside.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
I also transitioned from carrying the bikes inside for any trip that was longer than a day trip. The gas smell always got to me. Stinky stuff outside, comfy stuff inside.
Same here. I built my interior with the option of being able to tilt up the bed to load bikes, but then never really did. I bought a hitch hauler and just went with that. The gas can holder is important too. I don't like that stuff inside.

Next van I'm just going for comfort inside. Cargo can go elsewhere. Too many interior compromises need to be made to handle both cases.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #37
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,572
Don't haul motorcycles inside your camping rig. It's going to smell like gasoline and oil, unless you have some kind of charcoal filter. You'd be better off hauling a smaller trailer or a hitch carrier.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,589
Yeah, Geek you're doing it wrong.

With my van, I pretty much always have to carry two bikes (for me and Tami), so they have to go inside. One of the reasons I wanted a van is so I didn't have to pull a trailer all the time. I think you'll be fine with some ventilation. My van is ventilated through the poorly sealed, bent to hell back doors.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #39
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,324
Just got it weighed completely stripped

Geek screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 11:39 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #40
Geek OP
oot & aboot

5440 is the empty weight. I'm curious to see what we are going to end up at

Why am I worried?

600 lbs of sound deadening and seat swivels are going in the van as step one:

the swivels came from germany.. it'll be interesting to see how well they work. They should make the van a bunch more comfortable when parked.. being able to face the seats to the rear

p.s. I'm procrastinating...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #41
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Yeah, Geek you're doing it wrong.

With my van, I pretty much always have to carry two bikes (for me and Tami), so they have to go inside. One of the reasons I wanted a van is so I didn't have to pull a trailer all the time. I think you'll be fine with some ventilation. My van is ventilated through the poorly sealed, bent to hell back doors.
The current plan includes two roof vents - one a maxair fan and the other a full sunroof (over the bed).

For bike hauling I'm planning on 3 options:
A bike inside
A bike on the back bumper
pulling the 3 rail trailer.

With that combination I can tailor to whatever my needs are. Running to moab by myself? Throw a bike on the back bumper & go. Going somewhere with Cheryl & we want two bikes and no trailer .. a bike inside & one on the back bumper. Going somewhere with easy access.. throw the bikes on the trailer.

I got my fair share of gas fumes during the drive back from Nevada in triple digit temperatures with 10 gallons of fuel onboard the 950

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #42
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
I can't wait to see how it all turns out!
Me too!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #43
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,340
I have an 08 2500 144, cargo. I have the cargo tracks both on the o/s roof & inside floor. Removed the steel partition just behind the seats. This is a real hauler & most of my driving is on the interstates pulling a single or double axle bike/car hauler.

I have transported 3 DS bikes inside, one on the rear hitch & another bike on the front. Had to make my own 2" receiver & weld it to the very strong frame under the motor. Carrying 5 DS bikes was not as much fun as I originally thought.

Yes, there were smells but thankfully three of the riders flew the 1800 miles a couple of days later.

I installed Firestone air bags over the HD leaf springs. This made a big difference in keeping the head lights out of on comming eyes.

Now I keep the inside for riding gear & my murphy bed that I also made, w/ a cargo/ extra bed over head.

One thing which has made the cargo interior a real pleasure is the making of rotating front seats pedestals, 180 degrees.
Now I just set up lawn chairs inside if raining or snowing, spin around the trucks seats & it becomes a living room.
Buying these addition under the seats would have been 750 USD. I'm just too cheap to pay that out for something that can be made.

I have just over 53,000 miles & have moved this truck into "my best truck" position list.

The most bikes I have transported was 5 DS & 2 st1300 & r12gs on the car hauler(8), w/ 1 F550gs inside the truck. That's 9 bikes. plus riding gear for 6 riders & still had the bed in the sleeping position. Only two people in the truck & we took turns at the wheel.

Installed a back up camera (IR) but keep it on all the time so the driver may look up & keep an eye on the strapped down bikes. This has been a big part of having a peace of mind while on the road.

I cannot say what a pleasure having the floor cargo tracks have been. Whether you have bikes or bins of supplies or parts, keeping them in one secure place is not only safer but keeps a better living area in the back. Nothing sliding & spilling etc.

I can post some pix or a link of my interior if anyone is interested. Geek has started a good thread here as Adventure Van & how the Sprinter meets a lot of our different needs.

W/o pulling a trailer I average 21+ w/ a tops of 26.65mpg; but a super low while pulling the double axle, loaded down, doing 80 mph in West TX earns a 11.5 mpg. Always w/ a/c on. While on the interstate I earn between 14 & 17 mpg. while pulling a trailer loaded down, doing regular mph. Suggest anyone buy a lazer temp checker for the hubs on truck & trailer to head off an on the road break down.

Note: an oil change is 13+ quarts & costs about 100 USD w/ MB filter. Changing the fuel filter more often than the factory suggests is my insurance of no injector issues.

This is not a car motor slipped into a truck but a real LT engine w/ a smooth as silk 5 spd AT truck trans.
The 4 wheel disc brakes are huge & my pads are still in good shape.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #44
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,331
Geek, great thread idea.

I've owned a E 150 for the last 9 years. It has served my family well. I've been thinking about buying a Sprinter for a while now.

What can you tow with our van? We have two small children, so...bikes would have to be towed on a trailer. Can it tow a small enclosed trailer or would it have to be a typical three rail motorcycle trailer?

Thank, Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #45
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 640
.........This is going to be Nice.

Do you have a general figure of what you plan on spending when complete?
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: