Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
In deep need to recharge - riding South

My Blog www.jantarek.com

OK I guess I have to start the RR at some point and when would be a better time than right at the beginning of the ride.

I have been thinking about a longer ride for some time now, but family and financial situation never really allowed me to do any longer trips than 10 days or so at the time.
(I'm sure that many of you can relate to that )
Anyway after working my ass off for few years to pay the crap off and few more to save enough cash the decision was quick - I'm out, I need to recharge and just ride for a change

so what's the plan you might ask?
well... not much of it, just ride as far south as the money and time will allow (5 -6 months maybe) and if all goes well to follow the Dakar rally from start to end.

ok so let me take you through what I did, have and know so far:

Spanish - Few words (really) but I have Rosetta Stone and some audio stuff so maybe I'll pick up some more before the first border
and in case I'll get pull over I will play the dumb Polack (I will travel on my Polish passport) or the already proven CANADA deal.

Bike
- 2003 R1150GSA mostly ready (I hope) and overloaded with stuff, well I'm taking everything (I think ) I need and nothing I don't.
The idea was to have everything locked in my cases but the darn sleeping bug is to big so it will stay on the back of my seat,
plus I'm caring two TKC80 so the whole package makes my bike nice and heavy
so what I have is basic camping gear plus small tent and hammock, my clothes, tools, spare tubes (in case),
camera laptop and few other things, I will snap some pictures of it later on.

The route - this is where I might need some help from all of you as far as where to go and what to see

Right now I'm in Ithaca NY and Wednesday I'm taking off to Deal's Gap staying mainly on highways, than visit my friend in Alabama and off to Big bend in Texas

Mexico - Copper Canyon, Teotihuacan, ....?
Belize - ...?
Guatemala - ...?
Honduras - ...?
Nicaragua - ...?
Costa Rica - ...?
Panama ...?

at this point I still don't know how I'm going to get the bike across Darien Gap

Colombia - ...?
Ecuador - ...?
Peru - Machu Piccu, ...?
Bolivia - Youngas Road, ...?
Chile - ...?
Argentina - DAKAR!!, ...?

ok few pictures from trip prep and what I have so far,

I had the bike apart to check on things, the clutch look ok but replaced the slave cylinder and clutch cable, other than that just lubed the splines etc.

New belt (found handy way to replace it)

some of my stuff

bought this stuff here from plan B

Frame mod

custom plate for pelican case

and new shock from Dan

and of course Goop

cheers

Jerry
My SpotWala

jantarek screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 08:42 AM
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
soupbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Good riding. above all, enjoy. will be reading and riding along at home.
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

not day 1 yet but still I'm out at this point and staying in Ithaca for few days,

My friends son draw this for me, way cool

OK so start was interesting and as usual in a hurry. I though that I will have a nice and quiet take off, but few of my friends wanted to ride with me for a while and because our communication was poor they were all already waiting for me while I still had not taken the shower yet :-)
The morning was rough on me as I was trying to fit a spare helmet shield into my fully packed cases and after an hour of messing around with I decided not to take it, not because it wouldn't fit but it would be in the way and pron to get all scratched, so I left it behind.
Finally it was past 11am when after few hugs with my sister I took off... straight into a traffic jam on rt84, took me just about an hour and combination of back roads to get to NVC parking lot to meet up with my friends.

Starting mileage

and I'm off

first repair on the road, the break light kept on kicking in so I needed to adjust the screw

my friends were following me for a while

we said good bye at the Max Bmw and I took of for Ithaca

I didn't get far before I got spot it on I84

and had a nice chat with local Adv rider on Pennsylvania border

next day we went for a nice hike in one of the local parks, Ithaca is very nice

I will stay here one more day so I'll post more from the road

See YA

Jerry
My SpotWala

jantarek screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 10:04 AM
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Hi

Hi Jantarek,
Maybe I am not the best to give any advice, but..
In CR, you have to go To Pensinsula de Osa, to visit Playa Carate. A really great place, 98% off road. If you have time, try to get to Puerto Viejo, Limon in the Caribean side.

In Nicaragua, I would say Ometepe Island (But I never been there -yet -) and Masaya Volcano (awsome!), right of the side of the road,is totally worth it.

So, Have a good trip and try to keep the RR up to date!

Oh.. about the spanish.. Beer= Cerveza, Thanks=Gracias, food=Comida,... That's all you need to know.
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,614
I ride a 04 1150gsa and if you are going heavy hard riding like I like doing(by looking at the frame gussets) I'd swap that 170 spring rate for a 200 at least.

I would almost advise shipping directly to Colombia as jumping the gap costs are getting crazy, just about as much as shipping from the states down and not having to cover expenses making the trip to Panama justifies it even more, just my two cents.

Panama and back loops are looking better and better now with the cost of transport over the Darien unless you take some time and do it on the cheap. I think you would love it more doing a less than year trip by starting out in South America to begin with, especially if you would like to follow the Dakar the whole way, it would save you lots money and time over the long run and you could do the CA trip the next time or one the way home if you still have time/money left over.

Either way it sure is fun down South I know I'm about ready to get back down. Maybe see you around
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
MotoYaga
Bubble Rider

Oddometer: 151
ride safe!

Hey Jarek,
Have a great adventure! Stay safe and enjoy. Let the time and money take you around the world

MotoYaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
MotoYaga
Bubble Rider

Oddometer: 151
ride safe!

Hey Jarek,
Have a great adventure! Stay safe and enjoy. Let the time and money take you around the world

MotoYaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I ride a 04 1150gsa and if you are going heavy hard riding like I like doing(by looking at the frame gussets) I'd swap that 170 spring rate for a 200 at least.

I would almost advise shipping directly to Colombia as jumping the gap costs are getting crazy, just about as much as shipping from the states down and not having to cover expenses making the trip to Panama justifies it even more, just my two cents.

Panama and back loops are looking better and better now with the cost of transport over the Darien unless you take some time and do it on the cheap. I think you would love it more doing a less than year trip by starting out in South America to begin with, especially if you would like to follow the Dakar the whole way, it would save you lots money and time over the long run and you could do the CA trip the next time or one the way home if you still have time/money left over.

Either way it sure is fun down South I know I'm about ready to get back down. Maybe see you around
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikegeo View Post
Hi Jantarek,

Maybe I am not the best to give any advice, but..

In CR, you have to go To Pensinsula de Osa, to visit Playa Carate. A really great place, 98% off road. If you have time, try to get to Puerto Viejo, Limon in the Caribean side.

In Nicaragua, I would say Ometepe Island ( I never been there -yet -) and Masaya Volcano, right to side of the road,is totally worth it.

So, Have a good trip and try to keep the RR up to date!

Thanks I will keep that in mind

for some reason everything got posted multiple times yesterday o well.
My SpotWala
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

about the shocks, well I wish I knew that few weeks ago lol, but when I was ordering those here on ADV I did specify my weight the load, where and how I will be riding so I hope they will be fine, so far so good but if I see any warning signs I will ditch the tires and buy something out there.

one of the ideas while back was to ship the bike straight to Col. but even though that its a pain to deal with everything in CA and expensive transport over the gap I kind of want that experience and maybe if I do good on time I might consider the boat option, we'll see

I have not make any plans yet as far as what's next after SA but for now I have no home, job or car lol so here I go getting back on the road tomorrow morning

thanks

Jerry
My SpotWala
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
Good riding. above all, enjoy. will be reading and riding along at home.

thanks

Jerry
My SpotWala
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoYaga View Post
Hey Jarek,

Thanks Magda :)
I'll do my best

Jerry
My SpotWala
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

ADV site was having some trouble last night, sorry for hitting the button so much

Have fun man and goodluck!