User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Flyboy52219 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Tiger 800 XC - Rear brake Caliper

On a recent trip down south, we pulled in for gas just prior to hitting the Tail of the Dragon. Noticed a familiar smell of overheating brakes. The rear rotor was bronzed from massive overheating and the rotor and caliper were burning hot to the touch…front were cool and there was no way my boot was riding the rear brake pedal on accident. The the rear pads were almost gone. After cool down the caliper did not seem frozen or stuck. I nursed for a day just using front brakes as no dealers had the rear pads in stock (rear pads are EBC FA140/HH btw). I started the trip with about ˝ the pads remaining so i am convinced something caused the caliper to hang…rock??? Wheelers in Robinsville happened to have a set so made the 5 minute change right there (Wheelers was awesome by the way as they helped get my buddy up and running…but thats a separate story). No issues for the rest of the trip. Just curious if anyone has experienced the same issue? I will be taking the caliper off for a thorough cleaning when i pick my bike back up from my buddy's house.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Many years ago I had a dragging brake problem on a "early" KLR 600 before they became a 650. It happened to be on the front -- I was on a trip through the primitive area north of McCall, ID and needed to continue -- I would bleed some brake fluid from the caliper to get the brake to release. I found the problem when I got back --- the front handguard had rotated a bit and prevented the brake lever from fully retracting. Perhaps something like that is happening in your case. If you have a center stand or a track stand -- try spining the rear wheel, etc.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Flappy613
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Now I'm beginning to wonder.......Got my XCx back from the 600 mile initial and they noticed the same thing. Bronzed disc and excessively worn pads. I assumed it was because of old dirt bike habits although I've never had this particular problem with any of my other bikes and just set the pedal lower. Now I'm beginning to wonder. Think I'll have my independent fleet tech take a look as well just to make sure we aren't looking at a Warranty issue.
Flappy613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #4
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Check that the brake pedal returns freely.

This is a common problem on FJRs- the pedal doesn't fully release, so it drags just a tiny bit. At one point I had it down to an unconscious habit to put my toe under it and lift it back up every time I used the brakes- took me six months after I resolved the problem to stop doing it....

Anyway, assuming this is the problem, to resolve: pull the pedal, clean the old dead grease, apply new grease, reassemble.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #5
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,781
Might also check the Caliper mechanism, pins, etc. for free movement. Could be some grit got in somewhere and is restricting movement back to the resting position when brake pressure is released.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote