User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
nostatic OP
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 430
so I sat on an XCx and an XRx today...

Finally got to see/touch these in person (as well as some older models). Coming from an R1200GS, a couple of things struck me:

1. Both XCx and XRx were upright and similar upper body feel to the GS
2. Both Triumphs had less legroom than the GS (and felt similar between the two specs)
3. Way easier to touch the ground and move the bike around (stopped) with the Triumphs.

Unfortunately this dealer doesn't do test-rides so the pillion test will have to be stationary unless we go elsewhere. They are striking bikes in person though. Biggest difference between the XCx and XRx was a bit of rotation forward on the XRx, supposedly due to the smaller front wheel (and roughly identical other geometries).

There also were leftover '14s (including an SE) but didn't talk pricing - they should be just under $10K though given other dealers pricing I've seen.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
The XC comes standard with bar risers and wider bars but the seat/peg and pillion dimensions are identical on both bikes.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
nostatic OP
i drank what?!?

Makes sense. I figured that risers on the XRx would get close to the same position. Now the quandary is suspension. WP sounds like a better choice but give. My use spoked wheels a d tubes isn't ideal. Want the WP suspension with cast or tubeless spoked wheels. Need to ride one though n
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Not sure about the US but when I purchased my Roadie (XR) last year it was cheaper to buy the Roadie and do a suspension upgrade than to buy the XC with the 21" wire wheel I did not want and the better(?) suspension.
As it turns out I'm happy enough with the Roadie suspension that I won't be doing any upgrades in the short term at least.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Finally got to see/touch these in person (as well as some older models). Coming from an R1200GS, a couple of things struck me:

1. Both XCx and XRx were upright and similar upper body feel to the GS
2. Both Triumphs had less legroom than the GS (and felt similar between the two specs)
3. Way easier to touch the ground and move the bike around (stopped) with the Triumphs.

Unfortunately this dealer doesn't do test-rides so the pillion test will have to be stationary unless we go elsewhere. They are striking bikes in person though. Biggest difference between the XCx and XRx was a bit of rotation forward on the XRx, supposedly due to the smaller front wheel (and roughly identical other geometries).

There also were leftover '14s (including an SE) but didn't talk pricing - they should be just under $10K though given other dealers pricing I've seen.
Which dealer?
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
nostatic OP
i drank what?!?

LA Cycle Sports
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
LA Cycle Sports
Cool, I know right where that is... thanks.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,319
Douglas Motorcycles in San Berdoo is very friendly with their test rides.

Give them a call, may be worth the drive.

390 N H St, San Bernardino, CA 92410

(909) 884-4776
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Also, check out Thousand Oaks Power Sports. They do test rides. I feel I got a fair deal from them and I know they have the bikes in stock...just saw several in there today. 14's and 15's.
BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
nostatic OP
i drank what?!?

So just to update this, today I got to ride a few things (XRx, 2014 800, KTM 1190, and a used Pikes Peak MTS). I didn't ride the XCx but I'm leaning away from having tube tires as I'll be on pavement 99% of the time.

Of those, the XRx and MTS were the winners, but those two are very different beasts. The new 800 is just...smooth. There is just a hair of delay with the TBW (compared to the 2014 - I remember that from my Aprilia Shiver) but power application was like butter. Plenty of power two-up, and the Showa suspension seemed fine in typical riding.

The MTS - holy crap. Had a full Termi setup that just made you giggle and want to run for cover when you twisted the throttle. Stupid-fast bike. I'd end up either dead or in jail - or both. But incredibly fun bike.

They say it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than the other way around. Not sure that translates to motorcycles, and thankfully the Triumph isn't slow. I think the XRx will be in the garage soon unless I find a screaming deal on a 2014 Duc.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #11
MrChuffy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I have a 2014 road version and agree the Tiger is smooth. Since buying Ive test driven other motos but none are that smooth.

As for speed I dont think youll be too disappointed. I think its fast. Then again I came from a Suzuki GS450. :) At any rate when the Tiger is going fast it doesnt feel that way b/c its so...smooth.

Ill make a deal with you. If after buying the Tiger you feel its not fast enough Ill take it off your hands for free. :)
MrChuffy is offline   Reply With Quote