ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #31
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Oddometer: 163
Additional........

I forgot. I should have the UTBDR specific Butler maps as well as the 5 State BDR route maps and the 5 supporting state maps next week. The DVD is on back order :(.
We both also use Garmin 665s, Garmin GPSMAP 62s handheld units, and a SPOT Connect. We subscribe to the Two is One And One is None theory. Especially when it comes to water, water filters, and other supplies.
Thanks again.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #32
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
I emailed Rob Watt to chime in and and answer your questions.
he created and rode the route. he's in the desert filming at the moment so it might take him a few days but he will.

thnx, bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Less than two weeks till the trip. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #34
Adv Reilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I would bet the Northern parts of the route would be far too snowy and muddy to ride. I know I typically can't touch any National Forrest trails until the middle of June.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Anything above 5500' in central and northern Utah will likely be impassable still due to snow. I have seen the route but not purchased the map yet. Sorry to put a damper on your plans but most of the route is higher elevation and won't be open till late May early June. Even south of Moab in the Manti-La Sal national forest will still have plenty of snow.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #36
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Thanks for the help. Less than two weeks till the trip. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
you're attempting the UTBDR in 2 weeks?
like others have said expect snow up high and even new snow storms all over. good luck and please keep us updated.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #37
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Hmmmm.

This is what I was checking for. To verify that there weren't any issues as far as snow goes. If this is a nogo due to snow, are there any southern routes or trails anyone can provide. Also, is Moab relatively snow free? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
This is what I was checking for. To verify that there weren't any issues as far as snow goes. If this is a nogo due to snow, are there any southern routes or trails anyone can provide. Also, is Moab relatively snow free? Thanks again.
Moab will probably be snow free as long as it doesnt get another series of cold storms. The higher elevation mountains around Moab will still have snow. Another good option is the San Rafael Swell West of Moab. You could spend several days there exploring good roads, double and single track. Here are some links:

San Rafael Swell - SanRafaelSwell.Org

Recreation Guide to the San Rafael Desert

San Rafael Swell

I'll be riding through a portion of the Swell this weekend from Hanksville, Utah to Green River,Utah on my way to Moab. Keep posted us to what you decide.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #39
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Moab will probably be snow free as long as it doesnt get another series of cold storms. The higher elevation mountains around Moab will still have snow. Another good option is the San Rafael Swell West of Moab. You could spend several days there exploring good roads, double and single track. Here are some links:

I'll be riding through a portion of the Swell this weekend from Hanksville, Utah to Green River,Utah on my way to Moab. Keep posted us to what you decide.
Thanks for the info on the swell. I visited the sites. Do you know of any maps available for adventure riding similar to the UTBDR maps, or any gps tracks? I would like to have a clear point a to z destination without having to backtrack due to closures or roads ending abruptly. A way in and a way out. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
The Trails Illustrated maps from National Geographic Store are really good for areas in Utah. They have a really good detailed San Rafael Swell map.

And no way will you be able to get north of Price on the UTBDR before June. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #41
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oh, and hi Scott! Didn't see you there at first. -al
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #42
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Lower trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
The Trails Illustrated maps from National Geographic Store are really good for areas in Utah. They have a really good detailed San Rafael Swell map.

And no way will you be able to get north of Price on the UTBDR before June. -al
Can anyone advise what portions of the UTBDR route would most likely be accessible from Kayenta Arizona north. If we could at least start the route near AZ and avoid the higher elevations where thre would be snow or washouts that would be well worth it and then take the hardball north into Moab and do some riding there. Anything is better than nothing.
Thanks to everyone that is keying in here as it has been very helpful.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #43
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Are you asking for specific alternate routes that will be open next week? Keep in mind that anything above about 7000 ft is probably out.

If you want to try and stick to the UTBDR, your trouble spots will be:

(1) The Abajo mtns NW of Blanding. Someone else will have to advise you on an alt thru that area that will keep you off 191.

(2) The La Sals. Heading towards Moab over La Sal pass I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. You could ride Lockhart basin if you're up to it. Or you could cut down Kane Creek which also is no cakewalk in a couple spots, depending on how you like ledges (you would be going down most of them in that direction) and miles of sand. Otherwise I don't see any alternative but to shoot up 191. Heading east out of Moab I'm not sure exactly how high the route goes, you might be okay, but if it's impassable you can always cut thru Castle Valley and up 128 which is a gorgeous ride.

(3) You can head up Nine Mile Cyn from Wellington a ways and check it out but you definitely won't be able to get up onto Reservation Ridge and I don't think you'll even be able to go straight thru to Myton. At this point and on north you're crossing high country so you don't have any dirt road options. The only real option is to hit the slab and head up 191 to Duchesne. The ride thru Indian Canyon from Helper to Duchesne is a nice ride on 2-lane blacktop. From there you are facing the Uinta mtns so your only options are head east on 40 to Vernal and then north, or head west thru Heber to I-80 and I-84. Everything else thru that area will be closed including hwy 35 and 150.

If you want an entirely different route there are other ways from AZ to Price west of there. -al

ALinUTAH screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 10:03 PM
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #44
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten

Oddometer: 183
UTBDR in March

Quote:
Can anyone advise what portions of the UTBDR route would most likely be accessible from Kayenta Arizona north. If we could at least start the route near AZ and avoid the higher elevations where thre would be snow or washouts that would be well worth it and then take the hardball north into Moab and do some riding there. Anything is better than nothing.
Thanks to everyone that is keying in here as it has been very helpful.
Sorry it took so long to answer some of your questions. I've been riding in Death Valley and Mojave for the past two weeks. Anyway, like others have said... anything over 7000 ft this time of year will be out because of snow. So if you start from the south, you will be able to do everything up to Blanding... Then I would head back south and east to Hatch and go up Montezuma Canyon which will come out 1/2 way between Blanding and Monticello on Hwy 191. Then go to Monticello and ride west on Harts Draw Rd. Be careful on this road, there are lots of shady areas that might have some ice depending on the weather. Hart's Draw T's into rd 211, head west and go check out Newspaper Rock and Indian Creek Scenic Byway. You will have to go back out 211 and you may follow the UTBDR up to La Sal. You won't be able to go over the LaSal Mtns, but we do have a winter alternate to the west of the mtn which is on the map. This road will dump you out just south of Moab. When leaving Moab, you might be able to go up Sand Flats Rd to La Sal Loop Rd which will connect to Castle Valley. You will not be able to go up to Polar Mesa and down into Onion Creek due to snow. But I would recommend you go up Onion Creek off of Hwy 128. This would be an up and back. You should be able to follow the UTBDR all the way up Nine Mile Canyon, but will not be able to go up Argyle Canyon, so just follow 9 Mile out to Hwy 40. This unfortunately will be the end of the UTBDR until the snow melts in the high country.

Now, you asked about wash outs and rain, mud, etc. You never know in Utah what you will find or experience... It's hit and miss on the weather. If you are staying in motels, there are places to stay in Mexican Hat, Bluff, Blanding, Monticello, Moab, Green River, Wellington, and Price. Nothing in Duchsne (or at least I'd stay in) If you don't already have a Butler Utah 2nd edition map, pick one up. There are off road routes on this map. If you need anything else, just let me know and have fun.

Rob
www.backcoutrydiscoveryroutes.com
www.butlermotorcyclemaps.com
BrassAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
RickyBobby007
Go Jonah 2012

Oddometer: 50
The UTBDR Documentary DVD is now in stock and shipping.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Search/?q=UTBDR

www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com
RickyBobby007 is offline   Reply With Quote