ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #46
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
DVD now in stock
http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...on-Documentary

Map & DVD have free shipping
http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...26-Documentary

BMW Denver will be showing the DVD on April 14th.
Justin & Rob rode the route and will be there answering questions.
I'll be there too checking it out. Should be a fun movie night & get everyone excited about riding this BDR this summer.
http://www.bmwofdenver.com/event_lis...&Submit=Search
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #47
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
This from rally moto kit (ned's dakar bike)

I will be at Apex Motorsports this Saturday the 31st. from 10am to 2pm, at the www.brpmoto.com tent.
Come by and check out the race bike!
See the technical riding gear from KLiM I will be wearing for training and the race.
Check out the Wolfman Luggage Rolie System and custom Fairing Bags.
I will also have equipment from our great sponsors, Double Take Mirror, MX1West, Butler Motorcycle Maps & Aloe-Esta

They will be grilling too. Get some free food then head out for a ride!

I am told the event is being held to promote awareness of RMAR and CMTRA.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #48
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
don't miss free showing of UTBDR at Bmw of Utah, Sandy
this saturday @ 5:30
http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofutah.com/
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #49
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
UTBDR free video showing this sat @ BMW of Denver
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...-BMW-of-Denver
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #50
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding
 
ironbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
Oddometer: 4,010
What percentage of the route is dirt?? I was taking a quick look and it looks like a fair amount of it is asfault. I'm thinking of doing in in mid september. I'm going to try to pick up your map in the next few days. I really want to stay to as much dirt as possible.
__________________
"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."


Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #51
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding
 
ironbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
Oddometer: 4,010
picked up the map. I was looking at the beginning of the ride. It appears mostly dirt after Mexican hat. Looks like a great route. I'll probably start at Mexican Hat. How hard is Lockhart? I figure if people are doing it on GS's I should be able to cruize it on my WR250r.
__________________
"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."


Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #52
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
What percentage of the route is dirt?? I was taking a quick look and it looks like a fair amount of it is asfault. I'm thinking of doing in in mid september. I'm going to try to pick up your map in the next few days. I really want to stay to as much dirt as possible.
the goal is as much dirt as possible. only a few paved connectors.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #53
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
picked up the map. I was looking at the beginning of the ride. It appears mostly dirt after Mexican hat. Looks like a great route. I'll probably start at Mexican Hat. How hard is Lockhart? I figure if people are doing it on GS's I should be able to cruize it on my WR250r.
lockhart has one hard rock step section and the rest is easier and very remote. bring the big ims tank. wrr will be perfect.
180 miles is the max between gas.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #54
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding
 
ironbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
Oddometer: 4,010
I've got the 4.7 gallon tank. I have a range of about 230 miles. Thanks for the info. Went to Boulder map gallery to get the map. I think your products are great, and the owner of Boulder Map gallery had only high praise for Butler maps.
__________________
"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."


Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #55
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten
 
BrassAss's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Monument
Oddometer: 183
Lockhart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
picked up the map. I was looking at the beginning of the ride. It appears mostly dirt after Mexican hat. Looks like a great route. I'll probably start at Mexican Hat. How hard is Lockhart? I figure if people are doing it on GS's I should be able to cruize it on my WR250r.
Your WR250r will be a good bike for Lockhart. There are several rock steps and a few steep inclines and descents, but your bike will be perfect for that route. I would suggest you have at least two people on that section though. Not a good idea to venture out on Lockart by yourself. It's not traveled much and there are some places you might like to have someone with you. Have fun.

There is very little pavement and for the most part it's only to get to the next dirt road and to get around private property.
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure
BMW 1200GSW
www.tmadvgear.com
www.backcoutrydiscoveryroutes.com
www.butlermotorcyclemaps.com
BrassAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Yamhill, OR
Oddometer: 27
Question UTBDR in June

I am putting together a UTBDR trip this June and was curious if there is any information yet on how long to expect the trip to last and if there are any suggested campgrounds. I realize that this will be highly dependent on the group but before we leave I would like to have an idea of where we will be camping each night.

I see from the map that the trip is broken down into 6 sections. Do you expect each section to be 1 day, and if so how long of a day?

Here is some more info on our trip:

We have 8 bikes going on the trip so if, or rather when, it gets to dusty we plan on splitting up into groups and meeting up each night to camp. It is also possible that there will be a chase truck carrying most of the camping gear that will meet up with the group each night. Thus the ability to plan camping spots ahead of time will be very helpful.

The bikes range from KLR 650s to BMW 1200GS'. And dirt experiences ranges from intermediate to oh my golly-gee how the flip did they do that.

I would like to air on the side of taking our time, seeing the sights and getting to camp early as apposed to pushing both daylight and ability to make it to a pre-determined camp.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

-Ryan
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #57
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten
 
BrassAss's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Monument
Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
I am putting together a UTBDR trip this June and was curious if there is any information yet on how long to expect the trip to last and if there are any suggested campgrounds. I realize that this will be highly dependent on the group but before we leave I would like to have an idea of where we will be camping each night.

I see from the map that the trip is broken down into 6 sections. Do you expect each section to be 1 day, and if so how long of a day?

Here is some more info on our trip:

We have 8 bikes going on the trip so if, or rather when, it gets to dusty we plan on splitting up into groups and meeting up each night to camp. It is also possible that there will be a chase truck carrying most of the camping gear that will meet up with the group each night. Thus the ability to plan camping spots ahead of time will be very helpful.

The bikes range from KLR 650s to BMW 1200GS'. And dirt experiences ranges from intermediate to oh my golly-gee how the flip did they do that.

I would like to air on the side of taking our time, seeing the sights and getting to camp early as apposed to pushing both daylight and ability to make it to a pre-determined camp.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

-Ryan
Well where to start

The trip can be made with a group of that level and size in about 7 minimum to 9 days max. This is also very weather dependent, but that time of year you should be good. There might be some snow in some of the high country still, but doubtful.
Camping: The nice thing about Utah there is a lot of open camping due to the large amounts of BLM therefore, you can camp along the way, which is a great thing. You don't have to worry about the pace or we have to get to this point tonight. You just find a spot you like and camp. Now that said, there are areas that are controlled camping and you must camp in a designated area and those are well marked. I think this is a very hard trip to plan to be an any particular camp ground every night.
Group Size: You have 8 bikes going, not a bad size for this trip. I would suggest you don't break into two groups but travel together. There are times you might like to have all the hands to help in a sticky situation. The dust will be there, but you can drop back enough not to eat it and as long as the group understands the rules of not leaving someone to figure out "which way did they go", then a large group will work. When we did the original trip we had 7 riders and a jeep and we kept it together pretty well. I also think that trying to determine where to meet up, might not work... but then again it might, I just don't know where to tell you to camp each night. Our Butler Maps, have the forest service campgrounds marked on the map if that helps you.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out. Enjoy the route.

Rob
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure
BMW 1200GSW
www.tmadvgear.com
www.backcoutrydiscoveryroutes.com
www.butlermotorcyclemaps.com
BrassAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #58
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Yamhill, OR
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassAss View Post
Well where to start

The trip can be made with a group of that level and size in about 7 minimum to 9 days max. This is also very weather dependent, but that time of year you should be good. There might be some snow in some of the high country still, but doubtful.
.
.
.
If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out. Enjoy the route.

Rob
Thanks for the quick reply and putting together what looks to be a GREAT route!
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #59
byways
byways
 
byways's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,165
I recently spent a week based in Green River, riding the Swell and segments of the UTBDR. Rob, you did a spectacular job putting this route together.

The UTBDR northeast of Green River:

byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #60
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer
 
Dadayama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 586
Hey Tony

I'm going in September, the picture you posted got my adrenaline going!

Can't wait...

Peter in OKC, OK
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014