ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #91
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
I ride down south in June a lot. It can still be pretty pleasant temps if you're lucky. The southern mountains will be clear and maybe even the northern ones. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #92
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
Some friends and I attempted the UTBDR about a week ago (late april/early may). We weren't able to get any further north than just outside of Blanding. We encountered deep snow (at least a foot) at 9000ft and above and had to turn back. I'm guessing it won't be passable for at least another month.
thanks for the update!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #93
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
hey all you BDR fans, we're scouting the AZBDR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885414
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #94
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Just finished an attempt on the half south of price, going north to south. Its been raining on and off and what a huge factor that is, track can be hard and set one mile then greasy loon shit the next. Generally we were lucky not to be too deep when the nasty mud hit. Climbing up to la sal pass from the north we got flicked off by the mountain gods, pretty techy yet fun climb, but rain squall and my check engine light had us flying back down the mountain screaming for mommy, another 5 mins and we woulda been real stuck up there, hard to tell if the pass was clear. We decided to end the bdr there since it didnt seem prudent to proceed with my engine light on. Turns out some mud gummed up rad fan on my f800. Must return to soon to avenge muh honour. Bitchin ride tho, hammered the slab and now 2 days later am back home in Vancouver BC
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #95
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
Thx for this update. 9 of us make a go at it on Wednesday.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #96
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Utbdr upd

Just about to finish up heading south from Moab over the last week towards AZ.
Onion Creek La Sal stage - made it a 90-mile clockwise day loop out of Moab with no probs, snow or mud. A good (if long) way to get onto the Slickrock Trail and save $5.

(WRT, not to be missed under any circumstances, but you all know that).

Lockhart from Moab to Needles... Would not have believed I had to go up there unless the tracklog told me to, but only took 10 mins of launching, paddling and bashing. More of that followed for a while.
It may be on adv somewhere but for Lockhart it's worth explaining why it is 'Experts':
First 24 miles from Moab - easy - some sand. 1.15 mins
Next 14 miles between that gully to Lockhart Canyon north viewpoint: ~2 hrs.
Last 24 miles to Indian Ck t/o - another 1.15.

Today I tried to cross Abajos from north to south but did not even get 8 miles out of Montecello; 9300' and about halfway up the track to Cooley Pass (10,000+?). Steep slope, too much tree shade, long patches of snow up to a foot deep. Walked on a bit but gave at the thought of pushing the sunken bike uphill at that elevation. (Didn't know there are bears up there.)
Scooted round to Blanding and the sunny side and did the Elk Ridge stage anticlockwise as a loop from town. All would be easy enough for a 1200 on TKCs. Took me 3.5 hrs for 85 miles.

(Funnily enough at the servo in Blanding tonight met a 690 guy who was stuck into the south side of the Abajos same time I was this morning. He persevered and walked 2 miles + did lot of shoving and pulling before he gave up. The road is open but to what - quads?)

Maybe others have noted this detour already, but there's a useful way to avoid the Abajos, Montecello (if you dont need fuel) and the road stage that follows towards Canyonlands for the Lockhart.
The North Cottonwood Road is at a big junction when heading north on the BDR, after Elk Ridge and Gooseberry t/o, about 50 miles from Blanding (sign at jct says '35m to Bldg' the other way). NC Rd runs northeast off Mormon Pasture mtn then down Stevens Canyon and North Cottonwood Creek to near Dugout Ranch on the 211 (see map - blue line). As it was on Saturday, a 12 on TKCs could easily manage this too. 24 miles from BDR to 211, takes 1.15. Great views. Kml file here.
Gooseberry Rd option would be similar, I imagine. Joins up with NCRd).
Ten miles on the pavement brings you to Indian Creek t/o for the Lockhart (62 miles to Moab) or another 5 miles gets to Needles OP (gas $6.50).

The rain of last week has made the sandy tracks just right, I've found. Get there quick before it dries out.

Looking forward to VotG finale tomorrow. Forecast is 90.

Ch

Looking north from top of Stevens Canyon.

The Mormon Pasture short cut around the Abajos - for kml file see above.

Chris S screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 08:34 AM Reason: added
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #97
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
Just about to finish up heading south from Moab over the last week towards AZ.
Onion Creek La Sal stage - made it a 90-mile clockwise day loop out of Moab with no probs, snow or mud. A good (if long) way to get onto the Slickrock Trail and save $5.

(WRT, not to be missed under any circumstances, but you all know that).

Lockhart from Moab to Needles... Would not have believed I had to go up there unless the tracklog told me to, but only took 10 mins of launching, paddling and bashing. More of that followed for a while.
It may be on adv somewhere but for Lockhart it's worth explaining why it is 'Experts':
First 24 miles from Moab - easy - some sand. 1.15 mins
Next 14 miles between that gully to Lockhart Canyon north viewpoint: ~2 hrs.
Last 24 miles to Indian Ck t/o - another 1.15.

Today I tried to cross Abajos from north to south but did not even get 8 miles out of Montecello; 9300' and about halfway up the track to Cooley Pass (10,000+?). Steep slope, too much tree shade, long patches of snow up to a foot deep. Walked on a bit but gave at the thought of pushing the sunken bike uphill at that elevation. (Didn't know there are bears up there.)
Scooted round to Blanding and the sunny side and did the Elk Ridge stage anticlockwise as a loop from town. All would be easy enough for a 1200 on TKCs. Took me 3.5 hrs for 85 miles.

(Funnily enough at the servo in Blanding tonight met a 690 guy who was stuck into the south side of the Abajos same time I was this morning. He persevered and walked 2 miles + did lot of shoving and pulling before he gave up. The road is open but to what - quads?)

Maybe others have noted this detour already, but there's a useful way to avoid the Abajos, Montecello (if you dont need fuel) and the road stage that follows towards Canyonlands for the Lockhart.
The North Cottonwood Road is at a big junction when heading north on the BDR, after Elk Ridge and Gooseberry t/o, about 50 miles from Blanding (sign at jct says '35m to Bldg' the other way). NC Rd runs northeast off Mormon Pasture mtn then down Stevens Canyon and North Cottonwood Creek to near Dugout Ranch on the 211 (see map - blue line). As it was on Saturday, a 12 on TKCs could easily manage this too. 24 miles from BDR to 211, takes 1.15. Great views. (Gooseberry Rd option would be similar, I imagine. Joins up with NCRd).
Ten miles on the pavement brings you to Indian Creek t/o for the Lockhart (62 miles to Moab) or another 5 miles gets to Needles OP (gas $6.50).

The rain of last week has made the sandy tracks just right, I've found. Get there quick before it dries out.

Looking forward to VotG finale tomorrow. Forecast is 90.

Ch

Looking north from top of Stevens Canyon.
Cooley Pass is where we got stuck and turned around due to snow. We were headed northbound and encountered snow at the same elevation.

Lockhart Basin was a helluva lot of fun but I really couldn't imagine riding it on anything bigger than the 690 I was on.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #98
Britome
Get Free

This is so helpful, Chris S. I'm hoping you can give me a little counsel... 9 of us fly into Cortez on Wednesday morning. Our 1200GS/As will be are waiting there for us as two buddies with a massive trailer are e route as I type. We aren't going to be able to do the whole Route. We have 4.5 days. We have no "beginners" and a couple "experts." Everyone has been on 1200's for a while. We also have a friend who is going to trail us in his loaded rubicon with a winch. He wanted to come and haul beer for us.

Given this info and all you have experienced, where would you recommend we pick up the trail and which direction should we head? We just want the best experience possible in at time period. I can pick up other portions at a later date. Your help and counsel is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #99
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Britome,
Have not done Blanding to Mex Hat yet but I believe at the very least VotG is a great excursion. After that perhaps stick to the road above Moke via Natural Bridges Park? It may be too hot to get involved with sand.

From Blanding you could do what I did yesterday - Elk Loop. Southern arm is wide gravel for a while, you'll slither around a bit. Come back down and leave BDR before Abajos at a junction signed 12 miles to Blanding (last 8 are pavement). Doing the same in other direction (as I did) leave town up 100 East off Central (just after main right turn) and keep going until you pick up BDR at 12 miles.
Or up top, turn off for Mormon Pastures as described earlier then back out of the 211 onto the main Moab road. Your bikes can eat the road miles if necessary. For Mormon, after BDR it's right in a couple of miles, then left, downhill another mile or two, follow it for 10-12 miles down Stevens. Once in the valley bottom just after a ranch ruin on the right (wire gate), take the steep climb left uphill. Up top (Gooseberry joins) turn right. More wire gates then fast to 211.

Stay out of Lockhart like 002e says unless your 12s are iron-clad. Don't know the regular BDR to Moab. Did someone say it was snowy up high?

BDR stage after Moab down to Onion Creek on the Colorado is great too, but by far the best ride in the area has got to be WRT (not part of BDR).

The way I did it, anticlockwise down Mineral Bottom, south to the apex then back north with a ride up and down in Shafer Trail then out via Potash Road is 155 miles. There was one short sandy hairpin descent early on that made me turn back and think 'you cannot be serious?' - Hardscrabble Hill? locals will know. Tried to take a picture but too awkward. The Jeep and the winch may be handy there if you are going clockwise as most seem to do, but my eyeballs probably exaggerated it at the moment, as you tend to do.
Fyi I found east side of WRT twice as fast, but still with amazing views.

And this is just one tiny corner of the amazing West...

See
http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...21-doing-moab/
for pix of some of above.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #100
Britome
Get Free

Thx. What is "WRT"?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #101
Britome
Get Free

I think I'm just going to stick with the plan of heading 2.5 hrs from Cortez to Mexican Hat to work the route north. If I get into any unpassable snow then we will backtrack to hit pavement to get around it.

I'm up for any additional feedback on this plan from anyone.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #102
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

White Rim Trail. I am sure there are countless posts on it in this forum

Your plan sounds good. The highways around here aren't exactly monotonous.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #103
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Thx. What is "WRT"?
The single best motorcycling day I've ever had.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #104
Britome
Get Free

Just landed at Cortez airport. Couldn't be more beautiful. To Mexican Hat and the valley of gods road we go!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #105
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Ending at the start of BDR

Reversed the first BDR stage - Blanding to the AZ border but decided to take the parallel Comb Wash Road on the west side of Comb Ridge, about 15 miles and 40 mins to the junction with Snowflat Road on the BDR. A little light sand occasionally but would be fine on a big bike.
At the junction with BDR coming down from the northwest the well-known bull dust sets in and continues on and off for 4 miles until the track rises to the west. Luckily it's not continuous so you get a chance to rest in between (unless of course blasting through on your KTM with one hand on your hip).
So if you're coming down BDR and can't bear another mile of riding on flour to the 163, turn sharp left and north up Comb Wash Road and it will soon be over. There is a shady campsite just before CWR meets 95.

Up on top of Snow Flat it becomes a bit of a rock-step rodeo for a while and then about halfway or more to the 261 it eases right up -reminds me of sandy tracks in Western Australia hemmed in by dense scrub left and right. So doing it in 'northbound' BDR direction, Snow Flat starts fast, then walking-pace rock steps then bull dust then a little light sand.
This stage wore me out, but it was a hot day.

VotGods was a little disappointing as I got there mid-afternoon and the radiator fan was set to take off on its own. Would be better timed either end of the day for great pictures.

Worth mentioning that right at the kick off of BDR the Monument Valley dirt loop is doable on any bike and amazingly, only costs $5. A bargain compared to motel accom in Navajo lands (I found).

PS: have a good ride Brit'; look forward to your pics and impressions.