User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Dirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Boot chooses?

Since I'm just getting started riding motorcycles (I gotta V-Strom 650, 2011 model), so I bought tourmaster solution 2.0 boots. So, as far as foot protection, did I make a great choice? For commuting, and touring. What do you guys think.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Boots are alot like helmets....

They all protect you to a certain degree. It really depends on what type of riding will consume most of your time. Touring on road with a little off raod? Tight trails? Strictly off road? I thought about changing helmets as I have a Scorpion EXO 1000. Then I thought, why spend money on a new helmet when the funds can go toward other farkles and the helmet I have is good for now? I personaly wear Sidi touring boots. They breath and I can walk around in them all day with getting sore feet. Are they as good as OX boots for offroad? No. But they will do for offroad for now.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
TM's Solution boots are probably the best value in riding boots as they're less than $110 almost everywhere but for me, w/o footboards, just pegs, my foot tends to bend over the pegs on long rides as the soles are not stiff enough. I went with the old Oxtars that have a steel shank or? that's stiff, now they're TCX I believe and much more $$ but very good boots, and waterproof as well. Comfy for all day riding or walking.
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Since I'm just getting started riding motorcycles (I gotta V-Strom 650, 2011 model), so I bought tourmaster solution 2.0 boots. So, as far as foot protection, did I make a great choice? For commuting, and touring. What do you guys think.
I have the older version TM solution boots. Decent for street, comfortable and still waterproof after 3 years. For off road you will want something stiffer with more hard parts to protect your foot. I bought Gaerne balance pro boots for trail riding.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
DrDale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I have a pair of the Tourmaster Solution boots. Very good value and I still use them for my around town and commuting riding. For the road and trips I now use the Sidi Discovery rain. taller, better protection and feels somewhat more like a motocross boot, but still flexible enough to not have to reposition the shift lever. I also have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 which I use for dirt riding on my Honda CRF 250X. I tried the Alpinestars on the weestrom, but it was too stiff and I couldn't shift the bike. Also, You get more heat from the engine and pavement from the Tourmaster boots than a taller boot. My Sidi's seem like they'd be warmer, but they actually give more insulation and helped a lot especially when it was over 100 degrees.
DrDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post

You'll get more responses if you post in the equipment section.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 309
I have the original Solutions. Been 5 years. I will replace them before the winter as they leaked the last time I was riding in the rain(to be fair-I was out for 5 hours in the rain). Good quality boot at the right price.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,165
Definitely a cool / cold weather boot.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote