User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Caribou Cases With Hepco and Becker Lock-It Racks Install W/Pics

Ok, so here i go for my first pictorial how too. I was always kinda wondering how these worked before i bought them, so i thought i would post a how to of the install so you potential buyers can check them out.

First Post will be the Hepco and Becker Lock-It Racks

These racks come with a very good set of instructions, please follow what they say over what is say. I am leaving lots out. This is mostly for a little insight and some pictures.

Also pay very close attention to get all of the correct spacers, washers,and bolts in the correct locations. I would recommend a small ruler to measure the spacers and bolts to ensure you are using the correct ones in the correct locations.

Good Ol Trusty Mudflap

So here is what i had to start out with. It is a Caribou top rack that I have had on the bike since new in April. Also, there is a Warn XT 17 winch mount. My install is a little different because i already have all of this extra crap mounted to my tail section.

So here is how it came out of the box...

Unpacked..

Hardware...

So the first thing I do is take all of this Crap off.

Now, the upper mounting tabs for the luggage racks mount underneath the back mounting points for the grab bars. These plates are only about a quarter inch thick, but the grab bars are recessed into the plastic. so you need to add the supplied spacers here.

So it goes from bottom up; spacer, side rack mounting tab, grab bar, then top rack, or whatever else you may have.

Something to keep in mind always when doing an install such as this: Always loosely screw fasteners into place until all fasteners for a particular component are in place, and then tighten, it is always much easier to get things together this way, and then everything just fits better.

Now, The bolt supplied the the HB Racks, is only long enough to reach if you are just adding the HB racks, not long enough for top rack and winch mount. So i went to the hardware store and grabbed some longer bolts, 90mm i believe. Then, i realized that the back of the top rack needed to be raised also. So i dug through my bag of spare parts (Got this from the dealer as they installed my Crashbars, top rack, bark busters and skid plate before i took delivery of the bike.) And i happened to find some spacers that were an exact fit. And what else did i find, some 90mm bolts. So Im guessing that these came with my top rack.

Also, spacers will need to be added to the front mounting points of the Grab bar, longer bolts are supplied for this also.

Next is the side mounting plates under the gas tank on both sides of the tire. There are some nice threaded holes in the sub frame ready for use. Pay attention here, one side has longer spacers than the other side. And also, make sure you get the plate facing the correct direction.

Exhaust Side

Chain Side

Next its the foot peg mounting points

You need be careful not to tighten the first nut too tight, as it will clamp down on the foot peg and then it wont move.

The second nut you can tighten down good after the rack is installed.

The last mounting point is to the license plate rack mounting holes.

First take off your plate.

Then remove the top 2 torx screws. these will be replaced with longer screws form the kit.

Then...

Then...

Now, we need to put all of the quarter turn fasteners into the HB Racks. Each side has 4 quarter turn fasteners, and the cross brace has one. Now, they all get a retaining clip except the rear fastener on each side. It is kinda in the way if it is held in place.

Ok, now with all of the mounting points still semi loose, place the racks on the bike and fasten all of the quarter turn fasteners. First the cross brace, then the side racks.

Once this is done, suck everything down. Now go through the directions and put a wrench on every bolt and make sure everything is tightened to the appropriate torque. And you are done!!

And part 2....
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

And the Cases...

So the cases came, with all associated hardware packed inside of them. Very nice and neat. I went for the 36L Storm Cases I was told that these are slightly lighter than the 35L cases, and I also like that latch on them better, its a little easier to use.

All of the internal hardware came pre-installed, I only had to install the hardware that was on the outside of the case, preventing them from fitting in the factory pelican boxes.

So the Spread....

I ordered one extra lock (The lock that holds the case to the racks) This is the weak point of the system. It is designed to break if you hit a solid structure at speed. This is so the bike is not damaged.

These also come with a very good instruction sheet, this again is my personal input. The instructions should always be followed.

This first thing I did was place the lock through case. Then i aligned the large backing plate.

Then i stuck the other bolts through.

Then the top support bolt bushing washers and nuts. Make sure the large part of the square bushing on the top bolt is up.

And the square bushing for the bottom support bolt is pointed down. These flat parts keep the case from coming into contact with the rack, and hold everything tight and in place.

Then the front bracket.

Close up

Once all of the nuts and washers are on, tighten everything down.

Repeat for the other box

Then mount the locking bracket onto the rack. These are left and right specific, and have a slight slant to the mounting edge. Once mounted, the back edge should be fairly perpendicular to the ground.

Then, slide on the case. It kinda takes a time or 2 to get the hang of getting these on and of quick, but, once you do, it literally takes like 2 seconds. Very slick.

Some picks of how they mount...

Inside Hardware...

I also ordered one liner bag, fits perfect!!

And, all done!! (The back tire does not have to come off for the install, i had it off changing a tire at the same time.)

Also, just some info. Everything on these cases lined up perfect. Every hole, bracket, and lock, without any adjustment. (Even though most of it is adjustable) It was nice. A very simple bolt together and mount and done. And everything is very solid. There is a solid bolt kit to replace the quarter turn fasteners for the racks. I thought i would want it, but I decided to try them out the way the come. They are plenty solid for me. Im going to give them a pretty rough ride next weekend, and i will report back.

Thanks a bunch to Roger. His product is really top notch, and he is always there to help with any questions. Although, I didn't really have to ask any as it was a really straight forward install.

Couple more Sexy pictures...

Also, please give me some feedback on my review... Too many pics, too few pics, too crappy of pics...

I have more pictures if anybody wants them, just let me know...

thanks a bunch for looking...

Ryan
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Nice pictorial! Love the winch... although some inmates may say taboo. I like it.

The only negative about the cases are they are front loaders. I would perfer top loaders so when you open them crap doesnt fall out, especially on the kickstand side. Just my 02. Nice lookin and solid set up!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
DesertStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nice setup! Pics are clear and self-explaining.

Got a question about the locks, although I guess I already know the answer by looking at your pics:
Can you use the same key for the lock that locks the case and the lock that secures the case to the rack, or is this a complete different type of cylinder, thus different type of key?
Your very first pic shows 2 types of keys.
DesertStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertStrom View Post
Nice setup! Pics are clear and self-explaining.

Got a question about the locks, although I guess I already know the answer by looking at your pics:
Can you use the same key for the lock that locks the case and the lock that secures the case to the rack, or is this a complete different type of cylinder, thus different type of key?
Your very first pic shows 2 types of keys.
Keys are keyed the same, just 2 different styles of keys, only one is needed.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
why couldn't I just "bolt" mine together....

Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
rumblefish
xxx

Oddometer: 66
Really helpful demo. Thanks for all your efforts.
One question: how do you get your pics to show up? I've tried time and again using a link from a flickr account and no joy.
rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
Really helpful demo. Thanks for all your efforts.
One question: how do you get your pics to show up? I've tried time and again using a link from a flickr account and no joy.
Right above where you type your message, the lower toolbar, there is a button with a mountian on it. Click that, then copy the link into that box.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Awesome write up on the install with the right amount of pictures. I am sure it will help others making a decision to purchase then install the cases/racks.

Well done!

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,325
well done.

I have the Sw Motech version, bars and cases, virtually same-same, locks a bit different but concept is the same.

Ask me how I know, but in a very quiet go-down, ie, bike tips over in parking lot, one of my pelican's "ejected" from the rear side rack. The lock broke. The bike was not even running.

Yes, since then, I now carry a third lock as a spare.

But, I am going to find a happy spot where I can drill through the back of the Pelican and hit the bar behind it, some place I can stick a bolt, couple washers and a nylon filled lock nut (so if I shear this thing off again, I can get back on the road, pronto, and replace the lockset sometime later).

Just a thought. Even a bolt and a wing nut would be better than a bungee repair in this predicament.

For me, I would rather have my Pelican Storm cases "stay with" the bike in a real accident to protect me, my legs, etc., rather than "save the frame" of the bike. Screw the bike, save the BIKER.

I eventually found that I almost never unlock and remove my Storm cases from the bike anymore. Maybe once a season to detail the bike, or if I am servicing a tire, etc.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
well done.

I have the Sw Motech version, bars and cases, virtually same-same, locks a bit different but concept is the same.

Ask me how I know, but in a very quiet go-down, ie, bike tips over in parking lot, one of my pelican's "ejected" from the rear side rack. The lock broke. The bike was not even running.

Yes, since then, I now carry a third lock as a spare.

But, I am going to find a happy spot where I can drill through the back of the Pelican and hit the bar behind it, some place I can stick a bolt, couple washers and a nylon filled lock nut (so if I shear this thing off again, I can get back on the road, pronto, and replace the lockset sometime later).

Just a thought. Even a bolt and a wing nut would be better than a bungee repair in this predicament.

For me, I would rather have my Pelican Storm cases "stay with" the bike in a real accident to protect me, my legs, etc., rather than "save the frame" of the bike. Screw the bike, save the BIKER.

I eventually found that I almost never unlock and remove my Storm cases from the bike anymore. Maybe once a season to detail the bike, or if I am servicing a tire, etc.
Not sure about the SW-Motechs, but these would require a force pushing directly backwards to break the lock. Like hitting a stump with the front of the case while you are traveling forward.

The lock housing rides very tightly on the racks locking plate, so that supports all of the weight, not the lock. Seems ok.

That is a great idea about the hole/bolt. Much better than a bunjee.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Nice pictorial! Love the winch... although some inmates may say taboo. I like it.

The only negative about the cases are they are front loaders. I would perfer top loaders so when you open them crap doesnt fall out, especially on the kickstand side. Just my 02. Nice lookin and solid set up!

I tried to get one of these for the downhill side, but they were out of stock at the time. I should get one coming here shortly.

I like the uphill side open, this makes a really nice table, especially for the tool roll, it even has a nice lip so stuff doesn't fall off.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,325
I put my bike up on the center stand for loading-unloading at motels when on a trip. Even for daily hauling, I don't mind side loading Pelican Storm cases, but that is all I have had. I had a Silver Wing years ago, those were side loaders too as I recall.

Caribou has done a fine job with the racks and so on.

I will say if and when I build out and rig another bike, I want to try the big toploading aluminum panniers, like Happy Trails, etc. I think they look great.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
grndzr0 OP
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
I put my bike up on the center stand for loading-unloading at motels when on a trip. Even for daily hauling, I don't mind side loading Pelican Storm cases, but that is all I have had. I had a Silver Wing years ago, those were side loaders too as I recall.

Caribou has done a fine job with the racks and so on.

I will say if and when I build out and rig another bike, I want to try the big toploading aluminum panniers, like Happy Trails, etc. I think they look great.

The aluminum ones do look really nice. I originally really wanted the Micatech's. What really sold me on the pelicans was the durability/waterproof guarantee that pelican provides. Sure you can bend the aluminum ones back, but they are usually not waterproof afterwords. I go off road quite a bit, and i drop my bike quite a bit, so bending them was kind of a concern.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Robust Pelican Mounts

I think the Happy Trails SU racks and mounts fare the ticket if you want stout. I've tested them a couple of times and no problem. If you rip these off, your going to be more concerned about other things, I think. YMMV

RJ